PDA

View Full Version : How to tie a deep diver HB lure for trolling...?

solemandownunder
05-11-2013, 07:59 PM
I was tempted to ask this question in a series of 1. & 2. questions....

eg: 1. How do you tie a Deep Diver Hard Body lure to a mainline/rod...just trolling out the back of the boat at low speed ?

2. What speed should you troll at to achieve the best result ?

BUT......Seen another fella on here use that approach on NUMEROUS occassions and notice that he receives ALL sorts of varying replies, including satnav mostly negatory comments. ;)8-)

SO, I have decided to approach this in a VERY different manner......

FIRST up, here is what I currently HAVE.....and what I am trying to ACHIEVE with this...

I have recently purchased a couple of Bomber Saltwater grade 6" Deep diving Hard Body lures....Trolling Depth 20-25 feet.

Now, the problem I have is this.....on the bib, there is a split ring.....do I just tie the line to the split ring, or is a swivel need needed somewhere to stop the lure/line twisting as I am trolling ?

I am planning to use these particular lures when I am going BACK to a successful drift chasing the Tings.

The depth of the particular area that I would like to use these Hard Bodies is approx 6-8 metres at a NOT so very secret location.

ALL help would be appreciated here...as WELL as tips on maybe re-rigging these HBs with a different middle hook (change the treble) and associated paraphernalia that may be needed to attract any willing predator.

Thanks in advance for all the help....

Cheers, Ray.

Shark Poker
05-11-2013, 08:07 PM
1. How many people are aware that a single strike by a sharp toothed species will remove the lure from your line
2. You can not catch that fish or retrieve your 'Bomber Saltwater grade 6" Deep diving Hard Body lures' after this incident

solemandownunder
05-11-2013, 08:15 PM
1. How many people are aware that a single strike by a sharp toothed species will remove the lure from your line
2. You can not catch that fish or retrieve your 'Bomber Saltwater grade 6" Deep diving Hard Body lures' after this incident

Nahhhhh....makes WAY too much sense....not what I am used to hearing 8-)

btw....are YOU a satnav alter EGO :-?

Schulzy
05-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Buy lures around the depths you want to troll take into consideration the tide! (Depth) vary your trolling spread depending the tide direction and flow. I troll between 3.5 knots to 6.5 knots I recommend halcos! Depends what you want to catch snapper like slow trout like faster as with anything trial and error and the lighter the line the better.

solemandownunder
05-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Schulzy, understood...... I was thinking of trying to jag some schoolies around the Rous markers with the new HBs'...do I have a chance ?

Apollo
05-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I use a leftys loop knot on all mono to HB connections and just wire direct to the split ring with wire (haywire twist) if tooties are being chased. I don't use a swivel or clip as the former isn't needed and the later affects the swimming action of the HB.

cobiaman
05-11-2013, 08:46 PM
I use a leftys loop knot on all mono to HB connections and just wire direct to the split ring with wire (haywire twist) if tooties are being chased. I don't use a swivel or clip as the former isn't needed and the later affects the swimming action of the HB.

Tooties? Must be a country bumpkin thing......

tunaticer
05-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Whilst you will get some macks with the deep diver, I would be trolling a paravane with a 3" spoon lure.
Spoons cost about $5 each, deep divers 10 to start.
Macks are pretty good at removing lures from lines.
I'd be running 50lb mono from the paravane to a swivel then 50lb mono again to the spoon, both bits of mono about 2m long each.

You can hard tie to the split ring if you want, the split ring will give the lure the freedom to move easily.

captain rednut
05-11-2013, 09:30 PM
All hardbody deep diver lures used for mackeral and wahoo should have at least 1.5mtrs of single strand wire twisted on to the lure split ring and a small loop twisted on the other end which attaches to your main line with a snap swivel so you can change lures quickly.
cheers cr

Gimme5
05-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Mono or wire, I'll always tie it onto a solid ring first then into the split ring of the lure. No swivels. To change lure, just use a split ring plier.

solemandownunder
06-11-2013, 04:41 AM
Ok, there is a lot of good info & advice in the above posts. Thank you all for responding.

So it would seem that wire is the important factor due to getting bitten off, if I am understanding this correctly.

It would be very handy to do a quick workshop with someone in the Redlands that can take the time to show me in person....if anyone is available ?

Thanks again, Ray.

macka12
06-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi Ray, if you're keen I suggest you go to somewhere like Tackle Warehouse and chat to the boys there. Yhey are usually pretty helpful with showing you how to rig up line etc and they could show you what to try. You could also try Mossops in Cleveland but I haven't been there myself so not sure about them. There's plenty of videos and articles online too - a quick Google "how to rig up wire for mackerel" finds plenty of resources. Here's one from BCF on gang hooks but could swap that for hard bodies etc if you wanted www.youtube.com/watch?v=euJI--eNewo‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euJI--eNewo‎). Hope this helps. Cheers, Dan

solemandownunder
06-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Dan, thanks VERY much for taking the time to show this video....it shows in depth the rigging required.

Would I be correct in thinking that this would/can be tied to a Paravane....or is that just for spoons ?

Cheers, Ray.

Shark Poker
06-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Cant wait to see the results. Good luck from us!

solemandownunder
06-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Cant wait to see the results. Good luck from us!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA....that is HILARIOUS....;D;D;D;D;D;D

Shark Poker
06-11-2013, 08:49 PM
1. Nothing hilarious about that. Get back to work.
2. You are supposed to be living the dream in a few hours and we will be checking.
3. Good Evening.

Si
06-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Ok, there is a lot of good info & advice in the above posts. Thank you all for responding.

So it would seem that wire is the important factor due to getting bitten off, if I am understanding this correctly.

It would be very handy to do a quick workshop with someone in the Redlands that can take the time to show me in person....if anyone is available ?

Thanks again, Ray.

hey mate. I personally wouldn't use wire of any sort in the bay particularly when trolling and using a 6 inch lure. You may get a few bite offs from mackerel but you will get many more strikes and fish when using mono. Keep it simple. The small Mackies in the bay see a lot of lures and baits so it pays to keep your presentations stealthy.

Nicko_Cairns
07-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Hi,

1’ of 140lb single strand copper wire, the thicker stuff doesn't kink as easily. Get yourself an ezy rig I think they are called, hang on I'll find a link

They make haywire twists super fast and neat so you can rig up a heap of traces in no time. The wire doesn't put the fish off as much as people think, people in the Torres Strait use trolling lines with the biggest single strand copper wire I've ever seen and they clean up. You don't need any more than a foot if you keep constant pressure on the fish, macks usually run out to the sides when hooked.

For speeds for lures, slow is my preferred, 4 knots is plenty as I'm usually running some gar too, if you run a gar or two and an xrap30 you are covering plenty of the water column, BUT if arriving at the grounds and searching for bait then 6 knots is better with lures only to prevent baits spinning, a headstart trolling rig from the downriggershop will stop baits spinning and is super fast rigging for gar, best action I've ever seen from a swimming gar as the flexible bead chain thingy is inside the gar allowing it to swim. They make a surface version too, swims very nicely too.

Xrap30 is my prefered lure at the moment, out fishes halco crazy deeps, haven't tried the sebiles yet, rumour is the new Berkeley Mack lure comes out early next year and will be very good. I'm just starting to fish pusher style lures at 6 knots plus, will post some reports sometime about them.

Happy hunting.

Here's an article i wrote years ago, most of it i still agree with, there's four parts to it if you're bored, cheers.

http://www.fishingtownsville.net/2011/07/trolling-for-spanish-mackerel-part-1-of.html

[URL="http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/348233-du-bro-haywire-twist-tool-demo-video.html#b"[/URL]