PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Fitting Minn Kota To 19ft Glass Boat

Goldfinch
04-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Am about to buy a Minn Kota 80lb with iPilot, dual batteries etc. I think I will need a custom mounting plate made to bow mount it to my 19ft glass boat. Any suggestions of someone on the Sunny Coast who knows how to fit these? I want to get it fitted right the first time. Any advice, much appreciated. Cheers, Dave

Dantren
05-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Dave, Galeforce comes to mind but Maryborough might be a bit far for you???

Sweetlip
05-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Not directly related to your question but relevant to your endeavour, all the same....

If there is a chance that the bow of your boat may swing up and down a bit in a chop, you may want a 60 inch shaft in lieu of the standard 54" or shorter that these things are usually sold with so as to minimise the chance of the prop spinning in free air in a chop. If you take it to the agents, BLA, before you use it, they will swap over the shaft for about $110. If you wait until after you use it to see if the shaft length is long enough, it will cost you about $350. Of course in the latter case, you get to keep the old shaft.

Also be aware that prices vary widely on such motors. The BLA website shows the price for an 80 lb 54" shaft 24V Minn Kota iPilot as being $3099; Trymax in Brisbane have them for $2435; Whitworths have them for $2299. However, I bought one in September at the Whitworth's two day sale that they have to coincide with the Brisbane boat show for $1954. Whitworths usually have two of these sales each year to coincide with the Brisbane Boat Show in September and another in May to coincide with either the Brissy Tinnie and Tackle Show or the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show. I cannot remember which in relation to the May sale. They discount everything in store by 15% in those sales.

You will also probably want the quick release mounting kit for which you will pay $150 in Australia but, if you plan ahead, you you could buy it online from Amazon for half that price plus postage and whilst you are at it, you might as well buy a 60A circuit breaker from Amazon as well.

Apollo
05-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Dave, I have the same elect motor on my 19.5 foot glass boat and did it myself. It just bolts into the foredeck with large backing washers/plates underneath. Had to use my skinny armed daughter to reach through to get the nuts on the bolts but we got it done. Took some time to get the angle and position right, but the rest was easy.

Steve

Smithy
05-11-2013, 06:34 PM
The cheaper JW nylon mounting plates are the same hole spacings as the Minn Kotas I found out so went that way! Cheaper and less metal to corrode or oxidise.

timTD157
05-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Saw a Tournament 1900cc fitted up with one by North Coast Boating in Warana may be worth a chat with them