PDA

View Full Version : Trimming your boat

blairv70
03-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi all

Well I am getting used to the new boat and being the first boat with the capability of a electric tilt and trim I have a few queries....sorry if these are dumb questions.::)

I have been playing around with the trim angle whilst underway and depending on the angle I can get 2 knots more push at the same rev range which all makes perfect sense to me.

Boat is a Stacer 5.49 Waverunner with a 115 Merc Optimax with Stainless Vengence prop.

However questions I have are:

1. Should I trim up or down in choppy seas?
2. What is the general rule for trimming based on weight and position of the weight (as an example more weight forward)
3. Trimming for slow spped (under 8kts) - any other tips?

Thanks

Blair

thelump
03-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Trim it out till it feels and sounds right mate. Every boat is different so there is no magic formula. For example my boat sits nose down so when bumpy I trim it way out and scoot over the top of the chop. Others sit bum heavy and prefer to let the vee in the bow do the work whilst in chop. Just a matter of trial and error mate.

Darren Mc
03-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Generally trim in when choppy to use the vee of the boat to cut through the chop, but when travelling in a following sea trim out a bit so the nose won't dig in if you drive over a big one.
Also trim out a bit if travelling side on to any swells. If going out through a bar trim in. Trim out a fair bit but not excessively when riding the back of the swells when coming back in through a bar.
When going slowly trimming in will keep you on the plane as long as possible and allow you to get up on the plane the quickest.
Be careful when putting to much weight forward as that can cause the nose to dig in when in any swell and a broaching situation could occur. Try to balance the boat with the most of the weight in the back 2 thirds of it.
If you do have more weight forward then you would need to trim out to compensate a bit but best not to be in that situation, move some weight towards the middle or back.
Putting all the weight at the back will make the boat hard to plane with nose wanting to point to the sky.
Like the lump said it is trial and error as every boat hull and motor combination will behave slightly differently so you will need to play around with the trim and see where the sweet spots are for your combo.
This info is based on how I drive my boat and I learned it from Bill Corten years ago, so far it's kept me out of trouble so I hope it helps you too. Good luck with it.

WalrusLike
03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Something else to add to the good advice above...

If you are cruising along trimmed out and making good speed but the boat starts porpoising, then a bit of trim in will fix it.

ymmv

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

blairv70
04-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Generally trim in when choppy to use the vee of the boat to cut through the chop, but when travelling in a following sea trim out a bit so the nose won't dig in if you drive over a big one.
Also trim out a bit if travelling side on to any swells. If going out through a bar trim in. Trim out a fair bit but not excessively when riding the back of the swells when coming back in through a bar.
When going slowly trimming in will keep you on the plane as long as possible and allow you to get up on the plane the quickest.
Be careful when putting to much weight forward as that can cause the nose to dig in when in any swell and a broaching situation could occur. Try to balance the boat with the most of the weight in the back 2 thirds of it.
If you do have more weight forward then you would need to trim out to compensate a bit but best not to be in that situation, move some weight towards the middle or back.
Putting all the weight at the back will make the boat hard to plane with nose wanting to point to the sky.
Like the lump said it is trial and error as every boat hull and motor combination will behave slightly differently so you will need to play around with the trim and see where the sweet spots are for your combo.
This info is based on how I drive my boat and I learned it from Bill Corten years ago, so far it's kept me out of trouble so I hope it helps you too. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info - very helpful

Jeremy
04-11-2013, 07:43 PM

That is a very good comprehensive summary :-)

Fed
05-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Balance your boat properly then trim to push it forwards, not up, not down, forwards.