PDA

View Full Version : Pay rates for Marine Mechanics

riverrat321
29-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi Guys,
I am considering a big career change. I am interested in doing a mature age apprenticeship as a marine mechanic. I know I am going to have terrible money during the apprenticeship. I am just curious what the typical rate of pay is for a qualified marine mechanic in Sydney? Also curious if there is much work out there? hopefully there may be some guys here that are in the know.
Would love any info or advise?
Cheers,
Riverrat321.

Argle
29-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Unless you are hellbent on working on trailerboats (nothing wrong with that) If you have the chance take on a Diesel Mechanic/Diesel fitter apprenticeship, more work in commercial/large pleasurecraft and pay rates are better for diesel guys. Also have the option of working on heavy machinery/trucks etc.....

davo
29-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Better still forget the marine part and be a Fitter and Turner. Any mechanics job is not very good pay. We have a few ex outboard mechanics at work and they all left for that reason.

Noelm
29-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Depends if ou are any good, a GOOD outboard mechanic will make good money and have plenty of employment options, someone who is just a mechanic will get paid whatever to going car mechanic rate is, my local deler is fter a good outboard mechanic, and can't get one, plenty of car mechanics apply, but not one proper outboard guy has even phoned.

FishHunter
29-10-2013, 05:53 PM
If its the same as car mechanics then $19 to $25 per hour which is why I left the car game and went into diesel engines.
Oh and if my son came to me and said he wanted to be any kind of mechanic I would start beating him around the head and would not stop till he changed his mind.

FNQCairns
29-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Keep in mind throughout the apprenticeship the very real option of becoming a mobile outboard mechanic and/or opening your own little shed.

riverrat321
29-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the advise everyone. I want to work mainly on trailerboats. I love outboards (especially two strokes) and love the new dfi outboards. Ive got a family to support and like to think after training i could get about $75,000 or so from an employer (hope im not dreaming). I used to buy and sell boats and outboards for a hobby but got a promotion at work and lost my spare time. Was going to do this as a kid but my parents talked me out of it. I have management experience in a different field. I really hate my job now due to a change in structure and I would like to do something I will enjoy. My biggest fear is the money wont be there. I dont mind the idea of working for myself when qualified (shame that would take 4 years).

gazza2006au
29-10-2013, 08:25 PM
not sure what the mechanics are being paid, im in sydney and we have paid labour wise $90-$100 per hour how much of that the mechanic gets i donno and that doesnt include parts
kind of sucks for the DIY guy that cant budge a nut or doesnt have a special tool for a certain stage of a engine rebuild, if it takes 2mins the mechanic's around here still charge min $50
if u went this route sign up with the sydney fishing forums and you'll get a shit load of business, i see people asking questions all the time and looking for a mechanic to drop in to see
if your over a certain age you'll be entitled to a adults apprenticeship wage

riverrat321
29-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks Gazza, yeah I certainly will stay associated to this site. Shame about the fact that I would probably have to wait 4 years before I could do any work for myself.

solemandownunder
29-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Keep in mind throughout the apprenticeship the very real option of becoming a mobile outboard mechanic and/or opening your own little shed.

As old M8 here says....as soon as you are confident at ANY stage DURING the apprenticeship....there is a very real chance for you to start APPLYING what you are learning as you go.....NO WAIT 4 years ;)

For example: Basic Services on outboards, either at home or on site.

A ute with a basic outboard leg holding setup on the back would be a good start.

Any work that you may pick up that you feel you cannot handle....take it to your employer for a quote (start of learning quoting stuctures 8-) ) and be seen to be bringing in EXTRA work for the employer ;)

I personally applaud anyone who picks a direction and goes for it....I did it 7 years ago and am doing what I love AND living my little dream as I GO...NOT after retirement age.

ANY astute apprentice that has made ANYTHING of himself started out by applying what they were learning as they went...made EXTRA $$$$$ on the side and then used that money to either invest in Real Estate and/or be ready to have their own business fully operational by the time they finished their apprenticeship.

Food for thought M8.

Cheers, Ray.

riverrat321
31-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks for that advise Ray,
Sounds good mate. I'm going to get out about and speak to as many people as I can (whenever I can get 5 mins away from work). I am the type of person who would probably end up running my own business in the end anyway. Hopefully I will be able to support everyone with this. Been thinking about it for many years now. Got some annual leave in about 3 weeks so I will see what I can find. Think I will try to find a dealer who I will gain the most experience from and one that I have the highest chance of possible getting a promotion from in the end.

solemandownunder
31-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks for that advise Ray,
Sounds good mate. I'm going to get out about and speak to as many people as I can (whenever I can get 5 mins away from work). I am the type of person who would probably end up running my own business in the end anyway. Hopefully I will be able to support everyone with this. Been thinking about it for many years now. Got some annual leave in about 3 weeks so I will see what I can find. Think I will try to find a dealer who I will gain the most experience from and one that I have the highest chance of possible getting a promotion from in the end.

Mate...you MAY be missing a few points here....

IF you are going to end up running your own business....then getting promos is NOT the main aim.

The MAIN aim is to put what you are learning to good use and capitalising on that from the GET-GO.

Let me clarify THIS.....promotion is not necessarily what you NEED.....EXPERIENCE IS.

IF you are looking for recognition ONLY....then you will FAIL...no matter WHAT you do.

Recognition ONLY comes to those who EARN it and DESERVE it.....the other flip to the coin is that recognition will come more freely from family members who support what you are actually DOING with the knowledge that you are gaining.

In OTHER words....work NOT for recognition....BUT for what the INFORMATION you are gaining can do for YOU & YOURS in the long term.

Recognition is ONE thing.......making a living and supporting U & urs is quite another...AND is the best sought after result.

I do NOT mean to be blunt, but if I am then so be it....BUT....the very BEST that can come of what you propose is to follow the above advice.

This is not just my ONLY conviction, but one of MANY I have learned over the many years of understanding just what is called for when wanting to better oneself AND be true value to any perspective employer.

Recognition will follow as is appropriate.

Please read my earlier post again and see if you see the difference.

As to " I'm going to get out about and speak to as many people as I can (whenever I can get 5 mins away from work)"...if you keep THAT attitude up, you will get NOwhere.

A SERIOUS person would do HOMEWORK on any perspective employer BEFORE approaching them......5 mins away from work sounds like "hmmm, I think I like you...employ me".....it will NEVER work.

RESEARCH your prospect.....THEN go to them with something they cannot refuse.....such as "I am happy to work Saturdays for FREE if that will help your business grow" ;)...."How can I be of assistance to YOUR business ?" would be another thought provoking question.

Cheers & BEST luck on ALL your endeavors, Ray.

FishHunter
01-11-2013, 05:56 AM
Dont want to burst your bubble but IMHO 75k as a mechanic is pretty much a pipe dream, I suggest you speak to people who are actually employed in the game and find out what they really earn.
As far as working on the side, or cashies as they are called most businesses take a dim view of it as you are stealing business from them. A lot will specifically forbid it. So dont count on doing them.

solemandownunder
01-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Dont want to burst your bubble but IMHO 75k as a mechanic is pretty much a pipe dream, I suggest you speak to people who are actually employed in the game and find out what they really earn.
As far as working on the side, or cashies as they are called most businesses take a dim view of it as you are stealing business from them. A lot will specifically forbid it. So dont count on doing them.

You DO make a good point there FH and maybe in smaller communities that would be the norm.

Maybe in larger Cities it may not be of such consequence :-?

I for one would certainly not be openly advertising my "sideline" ambitions to any perspective employer...THAT is for sure 8-)

Cheers, Ray.

Apollo
01-11-2013, 07:11 AM
..... love the new dfi outboards....

Should have plenty of work!

Apollo
01-11-2013, 07:16 AM
You DO make a good point there FH and maybe in smaller communities that would be the norm.

Maybe in larger Cities it may not be of such consequence :-?

I for one would certainly not be openly advertising my "sideline" ambitions to any perspective employer...THAT is for sure 8-)

Cheers, Ray.

I would be thinking that a lot of potential employers would members on here or have a staff member who is. Not good advice there Ray. As an employer, I would fire in a flash anyone who did what you suggested and effectively stole work from me. Agree with getting the experience and such, but not with the rest of your advice.

riverrat321
01-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks again everyone,
I have been with my current employer for about 13 years and worked my way up to a Management position about six years ago. Sometimes I work nights, weekends and there have been several times where I have worked 12 shifts in a row (12 hour night shifts) with no extra days off and no extra pay. Not worried about hard work. I am however a little rusty in terms of finding work as I have not tried for 13 years. When I said I wanted to get out and about ans try to speak with people I was mainly concerned with finding out what a qualified guy is likely to earn, just so I know if this will be a possibility.
In my industry we have technicias who do some work on the weekends, but the company knows about it and we actually give them the work (It's small stuff that is more trouble than it's worth for us). I certainly would not be taking work from my new employer thans for sure.

Noelm
01-11-2013, 08:39 AM
It still comes back to how good you are, lots of people can use a spanner, and do "nuts and bolts" repairs , but a GOOD outboard mechanic/technician/engineer are well paid, and have no trouble getting work.

riverrat321
01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
In terms of earning extra money I was actually thinking if may be possible to buy the companies trade ins for resale on e-bay if they were ok on this.

myusernam
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
are you familiar with the phrase "do something you enjoy for a living and you soon wont enjoy it?"
that's why I'm not a gynecologist

gazza2006au
01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
In terms of earning extra money I was actually thinking if may be possible to buy the companies trade ins for resale on e-bay if they were ok on this. i recently bought a 50hp 4 stroke engine from a marine mechanic in QLD who sold the engine on it it was a trade in from a customer, the mechanic was the head guy at his local yamaha dealership, hes still selling the trade in engine on ebay
my cousin also bought a 60 yamaha off him that was also a trade in he took home

gazza2006au
01-11-2013, 02:10 PM
are you familiar with the phrase "do something you enjoy for a living and you soon wont enjoy it?"
that's why I'm not a gynecologistso now u dont like pussy cats? LOL