PDA

View Full Version : Side Console - Which one? I need Help!

CorvidChop
28-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi Chaps,

I have been searching for a boat for ages now, its killing me! I have been all over the place.
One minute im looking at Glass boats then im looking at Plates, im looking at full 6mtr boats for deep sea.. then im looking at side consoles etc.

So, After much thought I have come to the conclusion that I just love lure fishing too much up the estuaries and chasing Crabs in the same location.
I occasionally hit a bay, and encounter some chop so I need something that will take that.

Here is where im at:
Side console, ability for Minn K up the front.

TrailCraft Profish - 07-08 model, should have fixed transom cracking and pre-china boats.. seem really nice. Lots of freeboard etc. They seem overpriced for what they are?

Haines 485SF - Obviously FRP - Apparently are a great ride.. not much freeboard but could suit me? I dont know about this one..

Quintrex Top Ender - Telwater - I love the designs and layouts but am worried about longevity/quality?

Blue Fin Barracuda - I love most things about these. Storage seems a little short? but they look solid etc.

Formosa? - I have read a bit on here about these boats and most isnt very complimentary in terms of hull design?

I am trying really hard to keep this Aussie made/Owned as I am a VERY PROUD Aussie and want to support my fellow countryman to keep his families bread buttered and believe we can produce a good product here!

Ideas? Am i missing a brand?

Thanks for your help! I am happy to be told how it is, no need to sugar coat. If im wayyy off the mark in terms of produce then please set me straight.

Chop

snapperbasher
28-10-2013, 02:54 PM
What about Seajay?

CorvidChop
28-10-2013, 03:26 PM
What about Seajay?

Yeh, good point.. I have a SeaJay Angler tinny at the moment and its been a bloody good boat which I have just overloaded, bashed about and ive never had an issue!

I spent some time looking at their selection but they seems quite expensive?

snapperbasher
28-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeh, good point.. I have a SeaJay Angler tinny at the moment and its been a bloody good boat which I have just overloaded, bashed about and ive never had an issue!

I spent some time looking at their selection but they seems quite expensive?

I have had the 375 Angler for years and it is a great boat.....Have just recently got into a 485 Territory.... so far extremely happy with it....

I think you get what you pay for.... In my opinion they are the best of the mass produced "tinny's"

CorvidChop
28-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Yep! agree with that.. I also have a 375 Angler.. They are an awesome tinny for sure! Ill look into the territory's... Cheers for the heads up!
The reason I added the HS 485 is its the same price as a kitted out tinny.. But I get some comfort of FRP?
But yep, I am in love with the advantage of tinnies and being rough on them and you just dont really care!

snapperbasher
28-10-2013, 03:39 PM
The territory is a tiller steer but im sure you could upgrade to a side console.

I reckon for the 485 you would be looking at mid $20k's for B.M.T with a 60hp yammie 4 stroke

myusernam
28-10-2013, 03:41 PM
my opinion - quintrex. side consoles can be very wet. quinny deflects spray very well. normal tinny far wetter. what you are describing is good for quinny.excellent resale also.

snapperbasher
28-10-2013, 03:46 PM
I looked at the Quinny Renegades at the time i bought mine and I wasnt impressed..... they do have a few extra features like the live well and live bait tank and so on..... but I think the build quality leaves a lot to be desired....

Depends what you are doing I guess....for inshore and estuary work they would be fine....however I like to go offshore and prefer the fully welded side decks and so on..... they feel more sturdy in the chop too......not so "tinny" no pun intended....

my boat is wet though...but have to remember it is only a small open boat really.....

CorvidChop
28-10-2013, 03:58 PM
The only reason I am a bit against the SeaJay is the lack of Pod on the rear.. I really do like the idea of having the OB sitting on a Pod. It gives more freeboard at the rear and a nice platform to step onto the boat from the back. amongst other obvious advantages.

Howso77
28-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Mate,

I've got a 465 trailcraft with a Merc 60 hp 4 stroke on the back. Pretty easy to handle on a single axle and easy enough to launch and retrieve. Took it out on my own last Sat morning, no problems.

The boat is well made and mine has a plumbed live bait well plus elec up the front. Quite easy to use as both a estuary, river and bay boat. I've used mine at Somerset Dam, Pimpama River, Moreton Bay, Fraser, Broadwater etc

They are a heavy hull. Esp in the tail. I have also increased fuel capacity basically doubling the 60l tank that came standard.

For what they are designed for I'm happy. Mine will reach 27knts WOT with my Solas prop designed to give it more punch. The 60 is very economical but a 70-80 would be saweet.

These hulls are pretty tough in my opinion but do need weight distributed evenly as are arse heavy and can suffer from all the weight starboard.

Whilst I really like my Traily I am a dreamer and am thinking a 6m+ glass cc could be in my future.

I don't think you'd regret a Trailcraft for what use you have described. I originally looked at the Bluefin but was swayed by thicker plate, plate floor and self draining hull. I do plan to sneak offshore weather permitting..

Howso

Fish Face
28-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Have a look at Bonito Boats. Top quality build. Not sure if they do a side console though. 5.6 & 5 Metres.

GBC
28-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Just finished this exercise with the old man. He ended up with a polycraft 4.8 brumby front runner - 75 honda. The particular one he got was well priced. By all accounts it goes well.

CorvidChop
28-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Have a look at Bonito Boats. Top quality build. Not sure if they do a side console though. 5.6 & 5 Metres.
Thanks, have you got a www address?
I can't find them?

ifishcq1
28-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Go the 485sf you won't be sorry, they perform like a much bigger boat
the ride is without compare in that size range in any brand tinny or even in bigger rigs
and don't even think about the lower sides because the safety and water handling capabilities of a hull are all under the water not what you see above it
after thousands of hours in every tinny on the market I needed something softer and quieter
I made the jump first with a small glass barra boat and now the 460 signature which is exactly the same as the 485 but about 150mm shorter
the only trouble is I like it that much I hardly take the big boat out any more, a couple of weeks ago we did 165km for the day and only used 45ltr
we fished offshore in the tightlines comp in pretty average weather and never felt unsafe or uncomfortable at any stage
they are super quiet no hull slap what so ever which also makes them a great barra boat too
I head up the river or the creek chasing barra once or twice a week and offshore every time the weather is good
the polycraft is just as good but needs a bit more power because it is heavier

cheers

timTD157
28-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I may be biased but the little signature is really in a league of its own as a fishing boat. Comparing it to a similar sized tinny doesnt do it justice, the ride is ridiculous for a boat its size. And it is seriously dry, you will get wet as in any small open boat but its only really an issue if running 1/4 on in 20+ knots.

Dont think they are not tough either, sure if you hole it your in strife as with a tinny. But stratches and dings are easily fixed with some polish/sanding and gelcoat (and its never going to split/crack)

I fish solo 95% of the time out through the bar at Noosa, probably when I shouldnt but it just takes it in its stride. It will handle conditions much worse than my nerves ever would! Its a very efficient little hull as well mine is well and trully planing at 6/7 knots but will still top out around 33/34 knots when trimmed well.

Oh and my wife has one for sale at the moment :( I dont want it to go but she wants a half cabin! so if you want a ride in one let me know!

BGG
29-10-2013, 07:43 AM
"But yep, I am in love with the advantage of tinnies and being rough on them and you just dont really care!"
Poly's are tougher than tinnies. Poly's ride better than tinnies and are quiter than tinnies. Poly's don't suffer from any sort of corrosion. I've had a dozen or more ally and glass boats and it took a long time for me to take the leap of faith to Poly. I'll never go back.

Triple
29-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Have a look at the Triumph Tupperware boats...

http://www.triumphboats.com/

Some of their vids are worth the watch :o:D

Fish Face
29-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks, have you got a www address?
I can't find them?

Haven't got there Web address. Got a phone number. . 0438 886813

Schulzy
29-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Gale force 4.8 www.galeforceboats.com customise to what you want for a reasonable price drove one with a 70 yammy nice little rig

copie
29-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Before you make up your mind make sure you have a look at a Tabs Territory Pro

Mark

rpgs60
29-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Go the TABS Territory Pro!

Ross

gunna
30-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Clark Dominator. Check the features on the Clark website.

CorvidChop
30-10-2013, 11:11 AM
"But yep, I am in love with the advantage of tinnies and being rough on them and you just dont really care!"
Poly's are tougher than tinnies. Poly's ride better than tinnies and are quiter than tinnies. Poly's don't suffer from any sort of corrosion. I've had a dozen or more ally and glass boats and it took a long time for me to take the leap of faith to Poly. I'll never go back.

Yeh I have heard nothing but great things about the Polycraft. Only thing is they are bloody heavy which is probably why they ride so well. The negative of that is obviously the larger power required to push them?
I found a really nice looking 5.3 cc with a 115 etec..
You are right.. its such a big jump from a tinny... maybe im still a young bull and need to learn the hard way!

CorvidChop
30-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Mark

Go the TABS Territory Pro!

Ross

I hear ya! :) I looked into these. Again, a great boat but everything I have read leads me to believe the TABS are not really Plate boats and they use shit timber floors which rot out super quick?
I could be way off the mark but I have read other threads about this?

CorvidChop
30-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Mark

Have a look at the Triumph Tupperware boats...

http://www.triumphboats.com/

Some of their vids are worth the watch :o:D

Hahahahahahaha! Those videos seriously made me laugh.. particularly the one where they dragged the thing through 2 county's.
Are these even for sale in aus?

gunna
30-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeh I have heard nothing but great things about the Polycraft. Only thing is they are bloody heavy which is probably why they ride so well. The negative of that is obviously the larger power required to push them?
I found a really nice looking 5.3 cc with a 115 etec..
You are right.. its such a big jump from a tinny... maybe im still a young bull and need to learn the hard way!

I had a Poly. Went back to the Dominator.

GBC
30-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Have a good look at the specs of the boats which are in that range say 4.8. They all have 75-80 h.p. engine ratings and weigh within 100 odd k.g.'s of each other. The standout in the crowd is the signature, claiming a hull weight of just over 300 k.g. which is 200 k.g. lighter than the poly and 100 k.g. lighter than a quintrex 4.8 top ender!! I'd guarantee that is for a bare arse dory with no liner inclusions or consoles. Any 485 owners care to run over a weigh bridge? Still a good weigh in figure even allowing for fudging. What you percieve to be heavy and needing more h.p. is really not much weight at all in a poly, and it is also one of the biggest 4.8m boats you'll ever see, so you're getting something for your 100 k.g.. Hands up who would have immediately assumed the signature to have been heavier than a quinny? I'm at the head of the line.

Rodman
30-10-2013, 05:20 PM
M8 why a side consul I found that with a side console and the wind blowing the water onto you.
I changed to centre console and when it is windy I do not get wet

Ken

CorvidChop
30-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Have a good look at the specs of the boats which are in that range say 4.8. They all have 75-80 h.p. engine ratings and weigh within 100 odd k.g.'s of each other. The standout in the crowd is the signature, claiming a hull weight of just over 300 k.g. which is 200 k.g. lighter than the poly and 100 k.g. lighter than a quintrex 4.8 top ender!! I'd guarantee that is for a bare arse dory with no liner inclusions or consoles. Any 485 owners care to run over a weigh bridge? Still a good weigh in figure even allowing for fudging. What you percieve to be heavy and needing more h.p. is really not much weight at all in a poly, and it is also one of the biggest 4.8m boats you'll ever see, so you're getting something for your 100 k.g.. Hands up who would have immediately assumed the signature to have been heavier than a quinny? I'm at the head of the line.
Yet I hear what you're saying. The 485sf has me more concerned than the poly.
The freeboard still really bothers me, its just so close to waterline id be shorting myself in anything other than flat.
I also think the 485 would be hard to on sell later on?

To be brutally honest I am understanding why quintrex sell the numbers they do.
The resale on the top enders is unreal! There are also none for sale, either they have all sunk because of bad build quality or they are loved by their owners too much.

That Clark dominator seems good value as well.

There is too many options in this market.

What's it like trying to sell a poly?

CorvidChop
30-10-2013, 05:29 PM
M8 why a side consul I found that with a side console and the wind blowing the water onto you.
I changed to centre console and when it is windy I do not get wet

Ken
Hi Ken,
I think side consoles open more usable area. I feel like cc feel like walkways only by the console. In that size of boat anyways.
Cc boats in that 5 meter seems like a one man fisher

GBC
30-10-2013, 06:50 PM
I've had a fair few vessels, and one poly - a 455 centre console with a 50 honda. It fought well above it's weight, fishing tempest, fraser and out through the Caloundra bar fairly regularly. It was a pleasure to own and easy to sell at pretty much what we paid for it a few years later. They are not easy to stick rego stickers to, don't have a toes under fishing setup, are dreadful to get live bait out from under the floor if they get away from you, not the dryest riding things, not oil paintings up close, but they inspire a lot of confidence in the open ocean and won't break. I'd have another in a heartbeat.
Edit> I've now owned two poly's - I went and bought one of those glowboats last week for the camper trailer after some silly thread on them here - can't believe some say I'm easily lead....:P

braders83
30-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I've got a 485 telwater (stacer) - yes they are mass produced but its been great with the offshore work (up to 20km offshore) in at times pretty shit conditions whilst I was learning my own capabilities as well as my boats. Can't fault the boat build quality for the use I give it. I will upgrade down the track and I'm sure someone else will get great use out of it for many years. The telwater aluminium trailers are prone to cracking around the bolts so just watch that though. Keep an eye on it and service it regularly and you minimise your risk of issues.

Si
30-10-2013, 08:09 PM
The freeboard still really bothers me, its just so close to waterline id be shorting myself in anything other than flat.

The resale on the top enders is unreal! There are also none for sale, either they have all sunk because of bad build quality or they are loved by their owners too much.

Polycraft have some great advantages and I actually nearly bought one because of their ride etc. The thing that I couldn't get past was their appearance up close. The aesthetic quality is pretty average. I know it doesn't mean much in terms of functionality but at the end of the day we all still want a boat that looks good too. The gunnels are not even straight and look like a dogs breakfast. Just my opinion.

I was like you when looking for a boat. One minute it was the polycraft, the next a seajay territory, the next a galeforce etc etc. It took me over a year to decide! Budget was a driving factor at the end of the day and I ended up getting a second hand tinny which has been great. However, I do miss the ride of my old signature. Man that thing used to cut through the chop with ease. Now I bang bang but I get all the advantages of having a tinny too. I do miss being able to venture further out though but it came down to what I can afford. What is your budget by the way?

Given that you enjoy estuarine and coastal fishing I would recommended a Galeforce 4.8 console due to it's versatility, great ride and handling and beautiful appearance. Another boat I would recommend is a Origin 4 x 4 console.

Good luck in your search.

BGG
31-10-2013, 06:50 AM

I'm on my second Poly, a 4.5 SC. I had a 4.1 open boat for two and a half years. I bought it new and kept it clean. The day I advertised it I had 2 guys wanting to buy it and outbidding each other. I got exactly what I paid for it and got nearly 3 years use out of it. White ones sell quickest I'm told.