PDA

View Full Version : where is that damn HIN?!

MrMullet
25-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Hi guys, just a quick question, where would the HIN be normally located on an aluminium runabout. Is there a general guide to the placement of these things or what?
Thanks!:)

Shark Poker
25-10-2013, 06:05 PM
It varies of course, but What make, model, and approx. year of manufacture?

If there is no way to answer the above question what does it "say..." on the rego label or rego certificate?
Pauly

bigjudge
25-10-2013, 06:07 PM
MrMullet,The HIN should be on the boat compliance plate,showing what max horse power and vessels carring capacity,length,and I think the manufacturer also but I could be wrong on that one.
CHEERS AND BEERS

MrMullet
25-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Beautiful, I think if found it, its a 2008 quintrex runabout, I found it on the builders "plate" (cheapy sticker), I was looking for something pop riveted on or something a bit more secure.

Thanks guys

Si
25-10-2013, 06:59 PM
that's quintrex for ya

Shark Poker
25-10-2013, 07:01 PM
What does it say, ? AU-

gofishin
25-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Beautiful, I think if found it, its a 2008 quintrex runabout, I found it on the builders "plate" (cheapy sticker), I was looking for something pop riveted on or something a bit more secure.

Thanks guys

Check the HIN on the STB gunnel at the transom, stamped on the bottom chamfer, or underside of the gunnel (for smaller tinnies with smooth round 'D' gunnels). 15 characters, starts with AUTRX...... last 3 digits signify model year and manufacture year.
cheers
Brendon

MrMullet
25-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Yeap, starts with AUTRX, last 3 digits are 708 (so im guessing built in 2008?). Ill also have a look for the stamped HIN on the gunnel, thanks for the tips guys!

gofishin
26-10-2013, 10:12 AM
...last 3 digits are 708 (so im guessing built in 2008?)... No!

FYI, the first of the 'last 3 digits' (7) is a single digit representation of the manufacture year. In your case it was built in 2007.

The last two digits (08) is a two digit representation of the model year. In your case it was a 2008 model.

Why the distinction you ask? Some manufacturers (especially US) release their new models about half way through the year.

PS. If you want to know when in the year your boat was built (or batched or started to be manufactured etc), the alpha character in front of the ‘708’ represents the month of the year. With this HIN alpha-character, the first 12 letters of the alphabet are used to designate the month it was built/started etc. A = Jan, F = June etc.

PSS. This is (should be) the same for all manufacturers, as the HIN numbering system is an international standard/protocol. Not all choose to follow/adopt it though.
Cheers
Brendon