PDA

View Full Version : Check the rules when fishing interstate

Fisheries Queensland
24-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Queensland Government
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

24 October 2013
Check the rules when fishing interstate

Recreational fishers are reminded to check the rules before dropping a line in when fishing interstate.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officer, Philippa Newton said there has been an increase in fines being issued to fishers from New South Wales who failed to familiarise themselves with Queensland rules.

“One NSW fisherman was fined for possessing undersized fish at the Gold Coast. Had he caught these fish in NSW he would have been within their regulations,” she said.

“Another NSW fisher was fined for possessing illegal mud and blue swimmer crabs, as the method for measuring these species is different in Queensland.

Ms Newton said ignorance is not an acceptable excuse to break the law.

“The rules between states differ in many ways,” she said.

“Fishers need to check the rules that apply to the area they are fishing.

“In some areas, such as the Border Rivers, fishers need to abide by the rules set by both States.

“The best thing fishers can do if they are unsure is to contact QBFP or NSW Fisheries to check.”

For more information on fishing rules in Queensland, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au (http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au/) or call 13 25 23. For more information on fishing rules in New South Wales, visit www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries (http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries) or call 1300 550 474.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

Bazzawookooka
24-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Just for completeness, I will add that checking the road rules is another consideration.

Recently my son and I did a trip to Manilla NSW (near Tamworth) and towed our camper trailer down.

No problem right ?!? Wrong - we were approached at Inverell when we stopped for fuel, by a gent who introduced himself as a NSW detective. He advised us that it was illegal for a "L" plater to tow a trailer in NSW, and that if we were pulled up by the "Traffic" boys, it would be a $700 fine. Also, "L" platers are restricted to (I think) 90kph on the open road.

Just food for thought, it could just as easily have been our boat he was towing.

Don't get me started on how stupid I think these rules are, but regardless, they exist.

Hope this helps, Steve

cormorant
24-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Hope the young fella wasn't in a V8 or turbo vehicle without exemption letters as well. Stupid that you can't teach them safely when you have them captive and they must have you in the car. Best they go do it on their own with no supervision on p plates - stupid stupid stupid down here.

Have just had the young bloke do his hours in a V8 AMG Merc and also turbo diesel that don't make the NSW rules . Both have the highest safety rating and most driver aides you can imagine and now he has passed his P test he can't drive either and has had exemption for only car in the household rejected under new rules. Sucks as he has every opportunity to tear arse off road so no need to do it on road and just wants to get the time done. Wish i was that sensible when young. Can only have 1 person in the car under 21 so makes 2 trips to get 2 mates to training . Christ what about greenhouse gas !!!

I better not tell them he has been driving the Bedford on the farm loaded with no brakes and crash box for years

At least you got lucky with a D who didn't want the paperwork not like the other revenue hunting quota HP pimps.

Welcome to NSW- lucky he doesn't ride a bike

Riders claim entrapment

Date October 6, 2013 Bellinda Kontominas

Bikers beat fine after 'reckless' police operation

Police encouraged a group of motorcyclists to break the law, by forcing them to cross double lines, then fined them for it.

Autoplay OnOff
Video feedback
Video settings

Police who deliberately baited motorcyclists to break the law then fined them have been exposed in a recent court case, leading to a magistrate describing the police as ''reckless''.
The finding could pave the way for scores of other riders caught using similar tactics to reclaim demerit points and fines.
The operation featured in the case took place on September 16 and 23 last year in a section of the Old Pacific Highway between Mount White and Brooklyn. The Ku-ring-gai highway patrol issued 68 tickets, all to motorbike riders.
Brothers Rod and James Ward were booked for crossing the road's double dividing lines. They were each fined $298 and lost three points. James said they had been on a casual ride when, ''in a flurry of dust and gravel'', a grey SUV pulled out in front of them, then sped up and slowed down several times. ''People were moving around inside the vehicle and there was a commotion going on in there and we didn't really know what was going on,'' he said. ''I thought initially it was some tourists who had been lost.''
Advertisement
He said the vehicle moved to the left ''as if to beckon us past'' so they overtook the SUV - an unmarked police car - by crossing to the wrong side of the road.
From inside the SUV, officers filmed the riders then radioed a patrol car down the road with their licence plate details.
The brothers described the incident as a case of police ''entrapment'' and challenged the fines in court, along with three other riders booked for the same offence.
While the defence of ''entrapment'' does not exist in Australia, their barrister argued the police acted improperly and that any evidence against the riders was inadmissible. The riders told the court they felt safer overtaking the undercover vehicle than following it as it veered across the lane. The officers involved denied the undercover vehicle was driven unsafely.
Magistrate Eve Wynhausen disagreed, describing their driving as ''erratic'' and said it had caused each of the riders to break the law. ''I am satisfied on the evidence that the driving had some influence on the actions of the defendants and that … they would not have committed the offences were it not for the way the covert vehicle was being driven on both those days.''
The case against the riders was dismissed. Ms Wynhausen criticised senior officers involved, saying their behaviour fell ''far short'' of the NSW Police Code of Conduct and Ethics.
A police statement said a standard review would be conducted into the failed court case and police would continue to target dangerous driver behaviour.
The brothers said they had been contacted by dozens of riders who had also been booked