PDA

View Full Version : Take me to the bar....

blairv70
22-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi all

I have finally got a new boat that is offshore capable and am keen to get outside for a fish. Stacer Waverunner 5.49 with 115 Merc.

I am looking for someone to show me the ropes about the South Passage Bar - channel, best places to cross etc..

Quite happy to take someone along as a deckie or accompany someone out and back - if someone with the knowledge is happy to be a deckie then I am happy to supplyall fuel, bait etc for a days fishing

Looking at this Sunday - early departure. PM or call me 0477 725 316

Thanks

Blair

Scalem
24-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Hi Blair, I think your best bet is to keep an eye out in the meet and greet section and try T up following through the bar with somebody. Don't try follow Rosco if he is going, you will have a hard time catching him ::):o, but there might be others looking at the forecast there should be other punters. Make sure you have the GPS working to get you close to where you came through because on the way back you might only see white water from a distance and get the jitters until you are much closer to see where the channel is. Even then, you need to be able to read the water and don't follow your route to within a few meters as things may have changed since you came out. Have you considered doing a bar crossing course with Bill Corten? It was the law laid down by my wife, no course, no crossing.

Scalem

thelump
24-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Hey Blair have you done any bar work before?? Do you surf??

ric
24-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Crossing the spb is not a big ordeal like most make out it to be.

First few runs wait for forecast under 1.5m swell and incoming tide. A day like that will see lots of boats going out and you can watch and decide where to go.

thelump
24-10-2013, 09:39 AM
May not be a big ordeal in a 30ft cat but a 18ft stacer it may be. Especially if that 1.5m swell he is waiting for is from the east!

WalrusLike
24-10-2013, 10:26 AM
So apart from large boat, high tide, no swell, and no wind....

What would be ideal conditions and time of day to do a first crossing?

East swell no good? Better SE? What height swell?

Just starting to wonder about doing it myself in a 5.75m Baysport with 115 2 stroke Yamahardness. ....

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

timddo
24-10-2013, 10:27 AM
May not be a big ordeal in a 30ft cat but a 18ft stacer it may be. Especially if that 1.5m swell he is waiting for is from the east!

I though the swells always come from the East.:-? We do live on the east coast

thelump
24-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I though the swells always come from the East.:-? We do live on the east coast

Yeah it does except for when it comes from the North or South or NE or SE. But hey you run with that theory if you like.

Moonlighter
24-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Blair

It would be wise to get familiar and comfortable with your new boat for a while before attempting a bar crossing. Every boat handles differently and you really want to have a good feel for the boat before doing something like bar crossing, which is a bit more "advanced" than running around in the Bay.

Once youve got a solid level of confidence in the boat and yourself in the Bay, then its time to consider going offshore though the SPB.

I think your request for an experienced skipper to join you on your first attempt is a pretty good idea. Go for it!

Plan B, which is to get an experienced skipper to lead you thru, while you follow in your boat, and keep an eye on you as you go, is also a good idea.

I have done that for quite a few newbies over the years and it works pretty well. If the one you follow offers you a bit of a briefing session prior to departure that will be a real benefit too.

You could join or tag along with a Club, such as Power Boat Anglers. They are very safety conscious and travel thru the bar in groups, and will take extra care to help a newby skipper as well. They have trips most weekends, uaually departing Manly and Scarborough.

If youre interested in that option, google them and you should find contact details, but if you cant find them Pm me and i'll send you contact details.

For what its worth, my criteria for a "first crossing" at SPB would be:

SE swell no more than 1.5m and preferably 1.2m or less
No more than 10 knots of wind
Top of the tide (remember, the bar is about 50mins earlier than the tide times at the Brisbane Bar which is at the mouth of the river)
If not top of the tide, then run-in tide on a small tidal run day.

My cardinal rule is that if i get there and when i get close it looks too rough and scary, I dont go through. Never be too proud to go, nah, too rough, im not going thru that. Often though you can come back an hour later and it has calmed down.

But once committed to going through the rough stuff, never try to turn around in the middle of it because thats when disasters happen.

Scalem
24-10-2013, 11:19 AM
It's all fine and dandy so long as conditions stay perfect, less than 1.5, incoming tide, small tidal run, reasonable size boat, wind less than 15K. If anything changes, saddle up and watch how the cowboys get themselves into trouble. Not so long ago a swarm of boats chickened out of the return journey via SPB and went via Cape Moreton back into the bay. Ric, on perfect days I agree with you 100%. But when do forecasts always get it right? 100%??? 60%??? Whenever I go out I would rate accuracy less than 50% so training and experience needs to tip the odds of being rolled back in your favor.

Scalem

lbger
24-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I agree with most ppl on here suggesting you might consider something a bit less stressfull on your first crossing.. But maybe you have crossed heaps of bars before?? One mistake and your new boat is an artificial reef... would not be so much about the way out (especially if you have surfed before) not to hard to read lulls v sets.. but coming in and running into a bar would be the worry.. easy to follow ppl out but i guess you could wait to follow someone in.. Just my opinion but for my first trip in a new boat i wouldn't be going through a bar like that.

rosco1974
24-10-2013, 07:51 PM
I will be out through the south passage bar again this sunday,forcast looks great at the moment...s/e swell predicted 1-1.5mts. pretty good direction on the spb the more southerly in it the better the bar will be.i recon the bar will have 2-2.5ft on it..slack tides this weekend so wont be standing up at all...lightish winds forcasted...perfect weekend to get out for your first trip if the current forcast holds...biggest tip I can give you,if you have any doubts on how your boat handles don't go till all these doubts are out of your head..your more than welcome to follow me out but once outside your on your own..

Marlin_Mike
24-10-2013, 07:54 PM
In case you arent aware, Bill Corten is away on a long trip, back later in the year.

Cheers

Mike

ric
24-10-2013, 08:29 PM
It's all fine and dandy so long as conditions stay perfect, less than 1.5, incoming tide, small tidal run, reasonable size boat, wind less than 15K. If anything changes, saddle up and watch how the cowboys get themselves into trouble. Not so long ago a swarm of boats chickened out of the return journey via SPB and went via Cape Moreton back into the bay. Ric, on perfect days I agree with you 100%. But when do forecasts always get it right? 100%??? 60%??? Whenever I go out I would rate accuracy less than 50% so training and experience needs to tip the odds of being rolled back in your favor.

Scalem
i agree with you, forecasts are rarely correct. My point was more so to create a basic idea of suitable weather for someone looking at crossing.

There is no such thing as a dangerous bar, only a dangerous skipper..

blairv70
25-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi Macca

I have done some bar work a fair while ago in NZ and used to helm IRBs in surf lifesaving when much younger.

It has been about 15 years since I did either ofnthose and the SPB would be a new one for me hence my post.

Don't think you can ever beat local knowledge.

Blair

blairv70
25-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi Blair

It would be wise to get familiar and comfortable with your new boat for a while before attempting a bar crossing. Every boat handles differently and you really want to have a good feel for the boat before doing something like bar crossing, which is a bit more "advanced" than running around in the Bay.

Once youve got a solid level of confidence in the boat and yourself in the Bay, then its time to consider going offshore though the SPB.

I think your request for an experienced skipper to join you on your first attempt is a pretty good idea. Go for it!

Plan B, which is to get an experienced skipper to lead you thru, while you follow in your boat, and keep an eye on you as you go, is also a good idea.

I have done that for quite a few newbies over the years and it works pretty well. If the one you follow offers you a bit of a briefing session prior to departure that will be a real benefit too.

You could join or tag along with a Club, such as Power Boat Anglers. They are very safety conscious and travel thru the bar in groups, and will take extra care to help a newby skipper as well. They have trips most weekends, uaually departing Manly and Scarborough.

If youre interested in that option, google them and you should find contact details, but if you cant find them Pm me and i'll send you contact details.

For what its worth, my criteria for a "first crossing" at SPB would be:

SE swell no more than 1.5m and preferably 1.2m or less
No more than 10 knots of wind
Top of the tide (remember, the bar is about 50mins earlier than the tide times at the Brisbane Bar which is at the mouth of the river)
If not top of the tide, then run-in tide on a small tidal run day.

My cardinal rule is that if i get there and when i get close it looks too rough and scary, I dont go through. Never be too proud to go, nah, too rough, im not going thru that. Often though you can come back an hour later and it has calmed down.

But once committed to going through the rough stuff, never try to turn around in the middle of it because thats when disasters happen.

Moonlighter thanks for the advise the Power Boat Anglers seems a great idea.. I am pretty condident with the boat and around the bay so I feel ready to venture out further. That said I will always seek advise from the local crew when crossing a new bar.

blairv70
25-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I will be out through the south passage bar again this sunday,forcast looks great at the moment...s/e swell predicted 1-1.5mts. pretty good direction on the spb the more southerly in it the better the bar will be.i recon the bar will have 2-2.5ft on it..slack tides this weekend so wont be standing up at all...lightish winds forcasted...perfect weekend to get out for your first trip if the current forcast holds...biggest tip I can give you,if you have any doubts on how your boat handles don't go till all these doubts are out of your head..your more than welcome to follow me out but once outside your on your own..

Rosco thanks for the advise and the offer. What time are you thinking of heading out? I am looking at around 4 at the Manly Ramp. Was thinking of hitting the beacons but if it works will maybe head out with you.

rosco1974
25-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I wont know till tomorrow nite what my plans are on where I am fishing..more than likely I will be leaving manly around 4.15 or there abouts...should put me on the bar around 4.50 but depends if I pull my pots on the way out or not