PDA

View Full Version : Reelax reef 450 bases

matty o
21-10-2013, 10:27 AM
G'day.

Just installing my reef 450 bases, and have a quick question for anyone with these bases.

At the top of the bracket there is a bolt that runs through the tube.

This means the pole can only slide about 10cms into the base instead of the full length

Just wondering what other people do? Do you just put them in till they hit that bolt??
Removing the bolt everytime would be a real pain in the arse.
Anyone have any good solutions ??

Cheers Matt

Muddy Toes
21-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Hey mate...........

Are these bases for your 20ft Precision Poles?

matty o
21-10-2013, 11:13 AM
They sure are mate!
Have the poles and bases here now! Can't wait to get them all on!

Few of my mates just drop there poles in to the bolt I just dunno.... Lol
Wondering how other people go about it! Lol

Muddy Toes
21-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Matt, I just sit mine on the bolts and where the top of the base touch the poles I've wrapped some black electrical tape around the pole to take the slop out of it all.
As you've prob seen these bases are rated for a 5.5m pole. I went in to reelax before I bought mine and they were very helpful and explained that these should be alright for these poles because they are so light but normally they wouldn't recommend using a 6m pole on these mounts.
After a few trips with mine, if I had my time over again I would have gone the bigger bases. Even though the poles are light they are still long and make the bases flex and slop a bit. I expect to see some metal fatigue and stress fractures by the end of the season to be blunt about it.

SunnyCoastMark
21-10-2013, 01:05 PM
They sure are mate!
Have the poles and bases here now! Can't wait to get them all on!

Few of my mates just drop there poles in to the bolt I just dunno.... Lol
Wondering how other people go about it! Lol

Hey Matt,
Talk to Stuart about them - I reckon he would be able to steer you in the right direction.;)

Mark

matty o
21-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Matt, I just sit mine on the bolts and where the top of the base touch the poles I've wrapped some black electrical tape around the pole to take the slop out of it all.
As you've prob seen these bases are rated for a 5.5m pole. I went in to reelax before I bought mine and they were very helpful and explained that these should be alright for these poles because they are so light but normally they wouldn't recommend using a 6m pole on these mounts.
After a few trips with mine, if I had my time over again I would have gone the bigger bases. Even though the poles are light they are still long and make the bases flex and slop a bit. I expect to see some metal fatigue and stress fractures by the end of the season to be blunt about it.

Thanks muddy.

Ill continue to look around have seen a few ideas with replacing the bolt with a locking pin ect ect
Really don't like the idea of the 20" pole being supported by 100mm at the bottom of pole lol.
Worse comes to worse ill get another few hundred millimeters of pipe welded on.

Cheers matt

captain rednut
22-10-2013, 07:31 PM
mine just sit in on top of the bolt and we fish in very crappy weather and they have never given a problem.

Getout
22-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Yep on the bolt is fine

MyWay
22-10-2013, 11:34 PM
+1 on bolt is fine

fin101
23-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Don't forget to aim them towards the transom, you do not want them sticking straight out, and try to keep them high. Might be worthwhile checking out pakulas site or on Facebook , some very good info about why and where. Post up some pics of your install.

matty o
24-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thanks fin101, your dead right mate. The pakula site is wonderful.
I've spent a fair bit off time on the pakula site and have a pretty good idea on where they should go. Think ill have a win with them lol.

Thanks again on the feedback blokes ill put a few pics up once the install is done.
Will be a few days got a fair bit of welding to do.