PDA

View Full Version : Posting fishing reports

Jeremy
20-10-2013, 09:11 AM
There was a comment in the Jumpinpin weekend report in the saltwater reports that people don't post reports anymore because of people jumping to conclusions.

I replied to that comment but don't want to hijack the thread, so I am reposting my reply here for comments and feedback.

Honestly? I think some people (not you personally) need to take a teaspoon of cement and harden tf up. If ya not going to post reports because someone on the other end of a computer has an opinion different to yours which they express in an appropriate way, then I feel sorry for ya. How do you cope?

Ausfish is a chat forum. People have different opinions and should be able to express them (in an appropriate way). If people need EVERYONE who replies to agree with them or congratulate them - well there is a well known name for that syndrome - small man syndrome.

I reckon people should be able to comment if you are holding your fish wrong - e.g. lip grippers by the jaw only, if you have what appears to be undersize or oversize fish or have exceeded the bag limit, fishing in green zone etc etc - AS LONG AS THE COMMENTS ARE WRITTEN IN A RESPECTFUL WAY.

Jeremy
20-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Here is a comment from me. Last years marlin season was a ripper. Lots of people caught their first or lots of people caught several marlin.

Taking the marlin out of the water after a strong fight and holding it against your shirt for a photo is not good for their survival. Removes the protective slime and decreases their chances of survival. No probs for the first, but I wish more people would just take a photo in the water after that for quicker release and less damage to the fish.

nathank
20-10-2013, 10:10 AM
On the other hand it pretty boring to see the same ppl always posting negative stuff on peoples reports.. If someone does it to me i couldn't really care less. But you also have to look at the spirit of posting a report, if somone has caught there first marlin and picked it up for a pic thats one thing.. then if you constantly see cricket score pics of dead fish in a box from up north, thats another etc etc..
Who cares really...

tunaticer
20-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I think the C&R regime needs to take a step back when someone takes a perfectly legal catch and puts it into the esky. It is a personal choice to C&R, not an expected result.
I do C&R a lot but i will take one or two good fish home for a feed. I will not take just legals for the table, the yield is not worthwhile, so why kill 6 fish for the same quantity of meat as one or two decent sized fish.

One other thing i detest is glory killing sharks, rays and vermin. No animal deserves to be killed just because it is what it is. In the Pine i have come across several kids glory killing little river whalers for fun using baited drums on several occasions. Those sharks are all wasted. Makes my blood boil.

Jeremy
20-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I usually read pretty much all the reports and can't think on of anyone who constantly posts negative comments. I am just sayin that people are entitled to express their opinions and make comments and not all comments have to be "great catch", "nice feed mate", "You are a legend" etc.

You have misunderstood my post if you think I am standing up for C&R only.

thelump
20-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Here is a comment from me. Last years marlin season was a ripper. Lots of people caught their first or lots of people caught several marlin.

Taking the marlin out of the water after a strong fight and holding it against your shirt for a photo is not good for their survival. Removes the protective slime and decreases their chances of survival. No probs for the first, but I wish more people would just take a photo in the water after that for quicker release and less damage to the fish.

What if their intention was to keep the Marlin for a feed? Not everyone releases Marlin! I for one think the baby blacks are great on the chew and if I were to catch one at the Breaksea M&G it will be barrelled gutted and in the esky. Just sayin.....

fishfeeder
20-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Macca, what sized Marlin would you keep ??

I C&R heaps of undersized fish so cant see why people jump up and down for keeping legal fish...

Cheers
Brett

Horse
20-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Nothing wrong with keeping a Billie for the table. I have had mixed results from the ones I have kept but there is no reason not to keep a couple each season. Depending on what research you believe a reasonable number of the C&R Marlin will die over the following day or two

tunaticer
20-10-2013, 04:59 PM
I usually read pretty much all the reports and can't think on of anyone who constantly posts negative comments. I am just sayin that people are entitled to express their opinions and make comments and not all comments have to be "great catch", "nice feed mate", "You are a legend" etc.

You have misunderstood my post if you think I am standing up for C&R only.

All good mate, I was just making a simple statement too. Was not about your post at all.

snapperbasher
20-10-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't post reports looking for praise... I post reports to let everyone know what's going on and to generally try and help..... It's not so much negative comments that I have received but I see it going on all the time.... The jumpinpin post was just another example....

Another one that comes to mind was JustJack... He used to post some very good reports with good fish..... He now doesn't post because of the BS that went on....everytime he put a post up he would have underhanded comments basically saying hi posts were bullshit...I have fished with Jack and he is a good fisherman with a lot of knowledge.... He fishes at least once a week still and gets good fish but can't be assed posting.....

It's a shame but there are a lot of people in the same boat I believe..

Would like to know why the reports have dried up?? Are people not fishing anymore? Or am I right in saying people can't be assed?

snapperbasher
20-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Have a read of Justjacks old post "it's raining snapper" for an example.

Jeremy
20-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I remember Justjack and his reports and I do remember some of the criticism he copped. Must admit I had difficulty believing some of his catches myself.

People who post reports with a bit of info a doing others a favour and giving a 'heads up'. It is a damn shame that so many of the people who used to post on ausfish have stopped posting reports. Would be interesting to know why.

liltuffy
20-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Jeremy, generally I don't think people are looking for accolades. I think most people used to post as a bit of a heads up for others or the primitive urge for some recognition.

In my opinion I think folk are fundamentally fed up with keyboard assassins who are self appointed judge, jury and executioner. No-one likes a smart arse but yes there is a limit to what you should and should not post. Many have given up, you have been round long enough to see so many go.

Think about it - why would you put yourself out there when more often than not the element who make lots of assumptions crucify the bloke without all the information, it's disheartening.

We are all concerned about declining fish stocks and maybe this is the motivation for the crap for some, personally I think different species are more prone to overfishing (a lot of reef species) but others not so much, maybe others vulnerable species differ from mine or the majority.

Yes we live in a democracy but really if you can't say anything respectfully (doesn't have to be complimentary - just respectful) then don't touch the keyboard.

today we went to Western rocks, Hutchies and travelled about 150 km for not a fish in the box.

Craig

Gon Fishun
20-10-2013, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=liltuffy;1513515]Jeremy, generally I don't think people are looking for accolades. I think most people used to post as a bit of a heads up for others or the primitive urge for some recognition.

In my opinion I think folk are fundamentally fed up with keyboard assassins who are self appointed judge, jury and executioner. No-one likes a smart arse but yes there is a limit to what you should and should not post. Many have given up, you have been round long enough to see so many go.

Think about it - why would you put yourself out there when more often than not the element who make lots of assumptions crucify the bloke without all the information, it's disheartening.

We are all concerned about declining fish stocks and maybe this is the motivation for the crap for some, personally I think different species are more prone to overfishing (a lot of reef species) but others not so much, maybe others vulnerable species differ from mine or the majority.

Yes we live in a democracy but really if you can't say anything respectfully (doesn't have to be complimentary - just respectful) then don't touch the keyboard.

today we went to Western rocks, Hutchies and travelled about 150 km for not a fish in the box.

Craig[/QUO TE]

You poor bastard "Craig". :)

thelump
21-10-2013, 06:08 AM
Jeremy, generally I don't think people are looking for accolades. I think most people used to post as a bit of a heads up for others or the primitive urge for some recognition.

Craig

Yep fish stocks are quite safe when we team up. As a matter of fact they probably increase during the time we are on the water.

thelump
21-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Macca, what sized Marlin would you keep ??

I C&R heaps of undersized fish so cant see why people jump up and down for keeping legal fish...

Cheers
Brett
\
As far as how big?? The one in my avatar was around 30kg and it ate well. I have caught another bigger probably over 50 and it ate well too. They were both in NSW where there was a bag of 2 per species and no size limit (at the time) Just had a look at the QLD size and bag limit and could not see them????

Scalem
21-10-2013, 07:55 AM
I've thought about closing up the laptop and erasing ausfish from my favourite bookmark many times. But on reflection it is mostly from the result of my own pride where I have been corrected by those who know more on the subject than me. Nobody likes being exposed, but swallow your pride (harden up)and learn from many great people on here. I know I was packing bearings incorrectly, for instance, its out there, for all to see, if you learnt from my example of how not to do things, GREAT! Some AF members are certainly not on my Christmas card list, as I am probably not on theirs. Who cares? I don't. But there are FAR too many good friends on here that have made a big difference to me, and I know they will be rushing over to make sure I crossed the bar safely, as I will for them too should the need ever arise. Its what exists deeper within a bloke that would give their right arm if you needed them to, despite what they may have said behind a keyboard which is all meaningless.

Scalem

Muddy Toes
21-10-2013, 08:14 AM
For myself, and a lot of the guys I talk to the reason for not reporting is the I can't be assed factor.

I used to do it but now days I just can't be assed compiling photos and typing a half decent report up after a trip. I'll do it for big trips and M&G's but not for everyday trips.........I think it just gets boring.

So most of the time its people's lack of time to write up a report that prevents it........nothing sinister or no second reason.

Back In Black
21-10-2013, 08:16 AM
I don't post reports looking for praise... I post reports to let everyone know what's going on and to generally try and help..... It's not so much negative comments that I have received but I see it going on all the time.... The jumpinpin post was just another example....

Another one that comes to mind was JustJack... He used to post some very good reports with good fish..... He now doesn't post because of the BS that went on....everytime he put a post up he would have underhanded comments basically saying hi posts were bullshit...I have fished with Jack and he is a good fisherman with a lot of knowledge.... He fishes at least once a week still and gets good fish but can't be assed posting.....

It's a shame but there are a lot of people in the same boat I believe..

Would like to know why the reports have dried up?? Are people not fishing anymore? Or am I right in saying people can't be assed?

Snapperbasher, may have some thing to do with the damn northerlies that have blowing for the last 4 months!!

Just sayin

Tony

snapperbasher
21-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Snapperbasher, may have some thing to do with the damn northerlies that have blowing for the last 4 months!!

Just sayin

Tony

Tony,

Maybe you're right. But I for one have been fishing 2 to 3 times a week northerlies or no northerlies and been getting a few fish....just cant be assed posting :-)

There is always boats out and cars at the ramp so people are still fishing.....

I was out with Rosco yesterday and could here plenty of chatter on the radio with plenty being Ausfish members....havent seen many reports as yet?

Just_chips
21-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Personally lack of reports is simply because I'm time poor. It's not just the time for sitting and compiling a report, it's actually bloody getting out in the first place.

For those that are concerned about others comments, just remember this: 'Life is too short to take forums seriously', so build and bridge and fish under it ;D

Back In Black
21-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Tony,

Maybe you're right. But I for one have been fishing 2 to 3 times a week northerlies or no northerlies and been getting a few fish....just cant be assed posting :-)

There is always boats out and cars at the ramp so people are still fishing.....

I was out with Rosco yesterday and could here plenty of chatter on the radio with plenty being Ausfish members....havent seen many reports as yet?

I was sitting in my boat, in my boatshed, on Sunday converting marks, now that I have found out that marks given to me have been in a different format so there was nothing there, & there was just about no chatter on the radio from Noosa. Two charter skippers complaing about how windy Saturday was, & a lone boat on Sunshine Reef chipped in saying it was 15 knots & lumpy.
I went for a walk along the river about 5pm yesterday & one of the boats was cleaning his catch. They did a DI trip & got mainly hussar??
A long way to go for small hussar.
I have given up fishing in northerlies. I find it is just not worth the effort.

Tony

snapperbasher
21-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Absolutely agree Tony...northerlies do shut the fish down...

Still have been putting fish on ice all but not as many....

Chatter on the Radio down here seemed to be that it was quite however there were fish being caught.

We found it tough but put together a feed with a bit of work.

Back In Black
21-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Mate, at least you got out!! My boat hasn't been wet for about 6 weeks now!

Crunchy
21-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't submit reports because I don't catch any fish worth writing about. My report for yesterday would be "Did 110Km's covering the northern bay and western rocks for 1 x 35cm parrot"
So have to live my fishing fantasies through you guys, so if you have a good trip I certainly appreciate reading about it.

thelump
21-10-2013, 11:29 AM
What time were you at western rocks crunchy?

Crunchy
21-10-2013, 01:46 PM
11ish, saw a plate boat with a big bloke with no shirt on wrestling with the bottom for 20 mins and a couple of glass boats come and go. We hung around drifting for half an hour.

bannana
21-10-2013, 03:52 PM

Craig

Craig i must say that yourself and a few others have had a couple polite digs at myself for glorifying catches up at 1770 a few months back. My second post was stopped and one or two people were banned for getting a bit heated over bag limits and excess catches.

Since your comments i have limited my posts to fishing off Moreton in a mates boat and could of posted more but didn't want to offend.

Theres multiple reason why people limit there posts and this is mine.

Whats your's Craig why didn't you put up a report from Sunday? (not being a smart ass here either)

Cheers

Keith

Back In Black
21-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Craig i must say that yourself and a few others have had a couple polite digs at myself for glorifying catches up at 1770 a few months back. My second post was stopped and one or two people were banned for getting a bit heated over bag limits and excess catches.

Since your comments i have limited my posts to fishing off Moreton in a mates boat and could of posted more but didn't want to offend.

Theres multiple reason why people limit there posts and this is mine.

Whats your's Craig why didn't you put up a report from Sunday? (not being a smart ass here either)

Cheers

Keith

Keith,
Please don't stop posting. I'm in the same boat as Crunchy, currently living out my fishing though you blokes who are getting out there & doing it.

Seabreeze today showed Friday as 8 nots & 1.2m SE- beautiful & now I'm getting keen!!

Checked after lunch & its now 23 knots!! Seems to be the story of my life. Can only improve!

Tony

Jeremy
21-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Craig

I so wish there were more reports like that. Most people have fishless days when nothing works, just nice to see people admit it. Have to remember that myself too.

Lucky_Phill
21-10-2013, 04:53 PM
This subject has been dealt with many times.

The views of the Administration of Ausfish is that you can post reports until the cows come home.

If, another member posts derogatory remarks, negative comments or insults or questionable comments, report it to us. We will deal with it. Issues arise when the posting member takes the matter into their own hands or another member jumps in to defend the poster and starts some biffo... !

We have a set of rules but also there are discretionary powers and this is where we can deal with posts / comments that are " not in the spirit of the forum ".

From what I have been told from non-posting members is that there are a number of reasons they don't do reports anymore.

Time is the major factor, as stated in above posts... " couldn't be assed "...

People move in and out of the forums. There are very few that don't post because of negative comments. Some really good fishos stopped posting or limit their posts now, because they would get their PM box flogged from members asking for marks etc.

At the end of the day, it is up to the individual if they want to put up a report or not. What happens after that, again, is up to them.

If contained within a report, is a flaw or comments that don't seem right, such as " 2 of us went fishing in Moreton Bay and caught 9 snapper ", then that is the only time that maybe the poster could be sent a PM regarding bag limits, but this should be done in an appropriate manner, OR the thread reported to the Adminsitration for action. But, the fish stocks / bio -mass will not collapse due to 1 person catching 1 fish more than a bag limit, and we should also take into account the ignorance ( meaning not genuinely knowing ) of the fisho. We are all here to learn and help our fellow fishers, I believe, so maybe we should not be casting stones, should one's abode be constructed of glass. There are many ways to acknowledge the deeds of our fellow fishers and if you have nothing positive or constructive to say................ say nothing !

No condoning exceeding bag limits, just saying there is this thing called the " grey area ", as nothing is black & white and all situations have mitigating circumstances.

Loosen up people,, or as Jeremy says... Harden up ! Either way, just relax and enjoy the reports and making new aquaintances and friends.

cheers LP

ps. I appreciate the many members that report issues to me directly and in turn , avoid biffo and the like... thanks guys.

rosco1974
21-10-2013, 04:54 PM
wish I had a pic of lockies (snapperbasher) big sargent baker to post from yesterday.lol.the bugger woudnt let me take a pic of it

wayno60
21-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Bring back the biff!!!

Over the years ive had a few who did not appreciate or agree with every thing ive ever said, but stiff!!!;D
I take my daily does of pioneer.

tunaticer
21-10-2013, 06:41 PM
I will post my next PB as a promise to you all....just dont ask me for a timeframe.
So the metre + flatty, 1.45m jewie, about 52cm bream and 45cm whiting are gonna be posted in years to come if I am extremely lucky.
I suppose that is another dimension to this thread, how often does one upsize these days when 30 years ago the average sizes were larger? I remember doing mega battles with jumbo yellow tail kings in the inside of moreton for a decade or so very frequently, those schools of that size fish are not around anymore. NSW fish traps paid rest to that resource.

snapperbasher
21-10-2013, 07:14 PM
wish I had a pic of lockies (snapperbasher) big sargent baker to post from yesterday.lol.the bugger woudnt let me take a pic of it

Rosco.... That Sargent Baker was deserving of its own report.... However had you posted a pic of that beast your inbox would have been flooded with people wanting the marks and a trip of a lifetime to catch one of those beasts!

rosco1974
21-10-2013, 07:30 PM
that's deffinatly 1 mark I wont be giving out mate...going to rename that one lockies sargent pearlie mark.lol

T1
22-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Which reason do you want Jeremy?! I guess I have a number of them... I love writing, not just anything, but I like to paint a picture, tell a story that's worth reading. Unfortunately my descriptions were being used on other Forums in a very demeaning manner - on taking them to task, it was quite apparent that comprehension wasn't their greatest skill. Unfortunately I found this to be the case on most of these forums, inc this one. I got sick and tired of being taken out of context in reports, debates and discussions. That was one...

Another was the angst some of my reports were causing. I'm an average fisho who LOVES fishing! Ok, so S/BASHER may disagree with that statement right now given how fishing currently is taking a back seat to my average soccer skills. But I digress... the point is I get pretty excited when I catch fish! I don't care whether I have a couple of 45's in the esky or a 75cm Snap - either way, I've had a great day! Same with the Tings... 25 tings or a doz over 30cm - I've had a great day! Unfortunately, you can't be excited about this without someone boning you for getting too excited, being accused of thinking your great, a bit of goobie hanging out of your nose or whatever! Some people just hide behind keyboards and like to shoot you down no matter what! Getting hit by pellets enough times eventually is going to split your skin and you're going to have to take yourself out of the firing line.

Hypocrisy! Ohhhh, another one that rivalled 'comprehension' scales... It 's okay for one bloke to catch 25 tings on his own but 2 blokes icing 50 was a cricket score and raping/pillaging of the highest order - simple maths fella's! 50 divided by 2 = 25 per person! Here's another... 2 blokes icing 60 on a monthly trip - abhorrent!! Unfathomable!! But a bloke partners up 3 times a week for 20-30 a trip - no problem - that's caring for fishing stocks!! Get my drift? Get's boring after a while...

And the last one (for the purposes of this response)... I can't help myself when I see keyboard warriors posting total horse scheet! When someone lays in to someone for acting well within the laws and regulations, just because it differs to their personal views, I can't help but jump in have my 2 cents. Legal sizes and bag limits are there for a reason - anyone operating within those limits should not at any point be taken to task for applying them, be it a Jack, Flattie, Crab or whatever! You should also be able to post a pic of such too... but NO!! How dare fisho's operate within the defined and legislated laws, just because others choose to kiss and release their 'legal' fish! I just can't help myself...

So there's just a few of the main reasons why I now 'can't be assed'... it's all just too hard!

Take Care T

Funchy
28-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Why I posted about most of my outings - Share some knowledge about what was biting when and on what etc. Also so I can go back thru my posts and understand what worked / didnt work. It is like an online fishing diary. Also like T1 I like to tell a story

Why I dont post at the moment - Combination of a recent marriage break down, time poor and not catching anything :( I will post again when I get out and catch something.

Plenty of reasons people do and don't report. Each to their own. Just be respectful whether you agree or not and you got nothing to worry about I reckon.

:D

PeterKroll
28-10-2013, 07:54 AM
T1, I'm sorry that you have had that experience. I like to read what other guys are doing, and I like to learn from their success or failure. I like the reports where people have caught something or nothing, I don't care. Everything apart from the whinging, or the other side, overblown and overconfident.

I will certainly post in the future, if I ever catch another fish. I'm happy to say what bait, what fish, what time and where. What the hell. While there are a few people on this forum who like to crap on others, in most interactions people have treated me kindly and offered me the benefit of their experience. In truth, that's about all I expect from anyone.

Funchy, I hear you. And yes, your dog is cute. Does he have a name?

Funchy
28-10-2013, 08:06 AM
.....Funchy, I hear you. And yes, your dog is cute. Does he have a name?

His name is Banjo ............ Sadly he is a victim of the break up and has had to find a new home. Thankfully he went to friends..... Top bloody dog he is too.... :(

PeterKroll
28-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Funny, my first dog was called 'Clancy', and of course, Banjo Patterson wrote 'Clancy of the Overflow'.

I had to give away my heeler when we had our first kid. Very protective of the baby, until the day she started to walk. The dog went wild, and wanted to attack her.

At least the dog went to a good home as well. She went to a bloke that had a small farm and a motorcycle. He taught the dog (Emma) to sit and ride on the petrol tank, and even got her a pair of those antique pilot goggles. Man, she loved to ride on that bike. It was a great sight to see, her with her tongue out, ears up, and those mad goggles.

Even though it was her fault that we had to get rid of the dog, we still kept the kid though. :-)

Still_Dreamin
28-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Why I posted about most of my outings - Share some knowledge about what was biting when and on what etc. Also so I can go back thru my posts and understand what worked / didnt work. It is like an online fishing diary. Also like T1 I like to tell a story

Why I dont post at the moment - Combination of a recent marriage break down, time poor and not catching anything :( I will post again when I get out and catch something.

Plenty of reasons people do and don't report. Each to their own. Just be respectful whether you agree or not and you got nothing to worry about I reckon.

:D

Sorry to hear funchy. I for one always read your posts as my parents live up that way and I plan on fishing the passage more so always found valuable info. Hope things turn around for you soon and you are back posting in no time!

Still_Dreamin
28-10-2013, 09:40 AM
I post by a simple rule. If you wouldn't say it to their face don't type it.

thelump
28-10-2013, 10:05 AM
I post by a simple rule. If you wouldn't say it to their face don't type it.

Your etec is noisy Brendan :)

netmaker
28-10-2013, 01:08 PM
sorry to hear about your woes too funchy. hope all goes well for you.

and yes, brendan's etec is noisy...

Still_Dreamin
28-10-2013, 01:45 PM
:DGood to see the lump and netmaker post by my rule of not typing what they wouldn't say to my face. I heard them tell me my ETEC is noisy many times.;D

cobiaman
28-10-2013, 01:50 PM
:DGood to see the lump and netmaker post by my rule of not typing what they wouldn't say to my face. I heard them tell me my ETEC is noisy many times.;D

Well it did wake most of south straddie up that morning.....

thelump
28-10-2013, 02:16 PM

I think we actually said " that gay blokes etec is noisy" so not quite what we actually said to your face!

Scalem
28-10-2013, 10:47 PM
I get it - Is that about the time you started your post about how good Yamahas are Macca? Did you say that to his face too?

Scalem

Horse
29-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Its pretty hard to take anything a man says who wears pink tights seriously. Just sayin....

TREVELLY
29-10-2013, 06:22 AM
You guys are just looking at this all wrong!

Now with very little reports being posted is the time to put one up as it will be on the front page for ages and get over 2000 views before it disappears into page 2 and obscurity! :)

You don't have to come back and say absolutely nothing to get it back to the top of page 1 every day - cuz it will just sit there for weeks. ;)

I used to post fishing reports and hope to again soon - just have to get fishing more :)

I do enjoy reading the positive posts of fish being caught but I do also value the post saying SFA caught as it saves me the temptation to throw a few hundred into the tank for nothing :)

BTW banana I have enjoyed your posts in the past of great catches off 1770.
Funchy good luck with your present journey - hope time heals.
And FYI all - little fella is going great guns atm and we are hopeful for a positive result without the hospital - thread on this next week - catchya :)

malby
29-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Awesome news Trev! Still keeping the prayer up for him.
Best and most important report I have read on Ausfish in ages mate!;)
Mal

Funchy
29-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Happy dance Trev!!!!!

wayno60
29-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Ive seen you do the happy dance Luke, NOT a pretty sight!!!

Are we still right for that weekend at your place??

Funchy
30-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Ive seen you do the happy dance Luke, NOT a pretty sight!!!

Are we still right for that weekend at your place??
Pm on its way

flatzie
03-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I remember Justjack and his reports and I do remember some of the criticism he copped. Must admit I had difficulty believing some of his catches myself.

People who post reports with a bit of info a doing others a favour and giving a 'heads up'. It is a damn shame that so many of the people who used to post on ausfish have stopped posting reports. Would be interesting to know why.
I never post a report any more and even more rarely a comment on Ausfish. I ve been given a serve so many times just for having an opinion. And yes I found myself getting into the negative as well and I took a good look at myself.
Its the culture on Ausfish... its not managed properly and as a result many of the good posters on here I started reading are all gone. Why, because some of the other forums are better managed and seem to find the way to establish a great culture and dont tolerate the rubbish. Its a shame because I have enjoyed a lot on here and met some great people and learned heaps from them.
I just feel safer putting my reports elswhere. Some of my recent catches have been taking the bag limit, and Im pretty sure I would be slammed for it on Ausfish. Just sayin and answering the question.
Flatzie

odes20
04-11-2013, 06:42 AM
I think twice before posting reports or posts re my catches on here as well. But my main reasons are not the fear of attack, but just not wanting to seem to brag. Fact is there are fishos whose experience and knowledge sees them catching fish no matter what region they live in, because they have a lifetime of pursuing the knowledge and lore of fishing.

This produces constant catches of quality fish, and makes the hunter a bit self conscious in respect to the masses who seem oft scaleless in the creel. The comparisons are quite stark.
I guess even this post could be viewed as bragging. Also I haven't got the time to try and teach others the instincts and skills Ive accumulated since I was 4 years old. It takes years to become a successful fisho, and Im more likely to share to a person who is constantly studying fishing like me, than the random person who wants an easy lazy ticket to a quick thrill or feed. I have seen people become remarkable fishos by becoming a keen student, and who have been willing to spend their time and their precious hard earned to gain a Masters in Fishing.

WalrusLike
04-11-2013, 07:18 AM
I can't wait until I can post a report on the fish I caught..... :)

So far I can definitely prove there are no fish whatsoever around Mud, Peel, Moreton or Straddie. There are no fish out from the Seaway in any direction, and none around the Pin.

Now that I've spent a year herding them into one or two tiny areas I plan on taking my bag of Snapper soon. :)

Bloody Hawaiian Netmaker and his posts of those beautiful snapper on plastics is what lured me into starting fishing with those soft plastic fish repellents. Now I've been too long at it to give up and use proper bait like reel men do....

I will post on here as soon as I stun one by accidentally jagging it on the retrieve. :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Scalem
04-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Check your PM's - might be time to do something about it;D

MrNanks
04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Hey Funchy,
Sorry to hear about the tough times going on for you at the moment.
I went through the same thing 3 and a half years ago (including losing my dog) and now my life is the best.
I get to spend quality time with my sons doing what we want to do and have built up a great bond between us.
I surrounded myself with the kindest natured people that were there anytime I needed help or to have a beer, coffee and a chat.
I now have a wife that encourages us to go out on the boat, (especially if I can bring home some sand crabs).I got my new dog and house.
I have also recently ended up with a cute little step daughter that loves the boat, fishing and crabbing.
You seem like a good fella so I am sure you will get what you deserve.
I am also with Walrus as far as the fishing reports go. I catch SFA and get so excited seeing another PB snapper on SP's but
I keep on trying and keep coming home empty handed but I love it.
I love hearing what species are on the chew so please keep them coming.
Love the Ausfish site.

Cheers Dave

netmaker
04-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I can't wait until I can post a report on the fish I caught..... :)

So far I can definitely prove there are no fish whatsoever around Mud, Peel, Moreton or Straddie. There are no fish out from the Seaway in any direction, and none around the Pin.

Now that I've spent a year herding them into one or two tiny areas I plan on taking my bag of Snapper soon. :)

Bloody Hawaiian Netmaker and his posts of those beautiful snapper on plastics is what lured me into starting fishing with those soft plastic fish repellents. Now I've been too long at it to give up and use proper bait like reel men do....

I will post on here as soon as I stun one by accidentally jagging it on the retrieve. :)

one day you'll thank me for those posts mate;). how far away that day is will be up to you:P. in the meantime I hope you have been developing some fashion sense and have ditched that pink supre bag::)

SunnyCoastMark
04-11-2013, 06:43 PM
I never post a report any more and even more rarely a comment on Ausfish. I ve been given a serve so many times just for having an opinion. And yes I found myself getting into the negative as well and I took a good look at myself.
Its the culture on Ausfish... its not managed properly and as a result many of the good posters on here I started reading are all gone. Why, because some of the other forums are better managed and seem to find the way to establish a great culture and dont tolerate the rubbish. Its a shame because I have enjoyed a lot on here and met some great people and learned heaps from them.
I just feel safer putting my reports elswhere. Some of my recent catches have been taking the bag limit, and Im pretty sure I would be slammed for it on Ausfish. Just sayin and answering the question.
Flatzie

Sorry Flatzie - but I have to disagree with you on this. I think Ausfish is managed very well.
The thing you have to remember is that people are allowed to have an opinion or a viewpoint that is different to yours.
When you are posting on a public forum - you are in a sense giving people the right to give their 2c about what you have posted. Some of it will be positive and some negative..

That is just a fact of life. You need to be able to take the good with the bad - in anything you say or do (not just here on Ausfish) Some comments (positive and negative) will be constructive - some will not. Whatever you hold to be valuable to you - file away - whatever doesn't work for you - discard.

I have a "concern" with people posting photo's of large hauls of fish - for no other reason than it gives the greenies and those who want to lock away our fishing grounds, ammunition. Look, it's a real no brainer here - but we don't need to be handing them fish on a platter (so to speak). and by "large hauls " of fish - I'm not talking 10 or 20 here - but cricket score catches - 50, 100 and more...
My thoughts are - by all means post photo's of the best fish etc. but we need to be a little smarter about what we post in the public domain.

This is my opinion - some will agree and some won't - but that's OK. I'm not going to stop posting because someone might have a go at me about it (my opinion). I am more than happy to explain it and at the end - we can agree to disagree.

If they sink to the level of abuse, or name calling - that's their problem, not mine.

I think labelling the culture at Ausfish "Negative" is bit of a generalisation that really only applies to a "few" - I think you will find most of those have been banned anyway.

Anyway, my 2c.

Mark

Jeremy
04-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Gotta say that I read pretty much every saltwater report posted on Ausfish for a number of reasons
- collecting info to plan my next trip
- keeping tabs on what is biting when and where
- picking up tips on techniques and locations
- bored and jealous
Been a long time since I can remember reading anything 'negative', 'Worst' I can remember was someone offering some good advice on how to hold a flathead for a photo about a month ago. Mostly the 'negative' or critical replies I can remember come from trolls or newbies who don't last long, or maybe those posts get deleted by the mods before I read them. Just doesn't seem to be an issue at the mo

bannana
04-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Sorry Flatzie - but I have to disagree with you on this. I think Ausfish is managed very well.
The thing you have to remember is that people are allowed to have an opinion or a viewpoint that is different to yours.
When you are posting on a public forum - you are in a sense giving people the right to give their 2c about what you have posted. Some of it will be positive and some negative..

That is just a fact of life. You need to be able to take the good with the bad - in anything you say or do (not just here on Ausfish) Some comments (positive and negative) will be constructive - some will not. Whatever you hold to be valuable to you - file away - whatever doesn't work for you - discard.

I have a "concern" with people posting photo's of large hauls of fish - for no other reason than it gives the greenies and those who want to lock away our fishing grounds, ammunition. Look, it's a real no brainer here - but we don't need to be handing them fish on a platter (so to speak). and by "large hauls " of fish - I'm not talking 10 or 20 here - but cricket score catches - 50, 100 and more...
My thoughts are - by all means post photo's of the best fish etc. but we need to be a little smarter about what we post in the public domain.

This is my opinion - some will agree and some won't - but that's OK. I'm not going to stop posting because someone might have a go at me about it (my opinion). I am more than happy to explain it and at the end - we can agree to disagree.

If they sink to the level of abuse, or name calling - that's their problem, not mine.

I think labelling the culture at Ausfish "Negative" is bit of a generalisation that really only applies to a "few" - I think you will find most of those have been banned anyway.

Anyway, my 2c.

Mark

Mark,

Where's your fishing reports?
How many fishing reports do you average per year?

I too read most fishing reports and appreciate the effort guys put into these especially the ones with bugger all caught and decided it's only fair to share and started putting up reports myself. I'm happy to share and know how much info can be gathered from a pic, especially a spread of fish (a hell of a lot more than an individual fish pic) and have done so. I have received negative posts but none offensive in anyway and respectfully decided to share less to keep the minority happy.

I have definitely change my view after reading your comments on mass kill pics and will re-continue with posting all my catches without the fear of offending because theres others that enjoy the posts and at the end of the day you can always look away.

WalrusLike
04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
one day you'll thank me for those posts mate;). how far away that day is will be up to you:P. in the meantime I hope you have been developing some fashion sense and have ditched that pink supre bag::)

Fashion sense! You have the hide to pick on my fashion sense? A bloke whose shirts are so loud they would frighten the dog? :)

No mate I have stuck with it since you fellas poked fun at it. I like it because it stands out and is easy to find in the cabin. A bit faded now.., more like salmon than pink.

But if pink is good enough for Phil, then its good enough for me. :)

SunnyCoastMark
04-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Mark,

Where's your fishing reports?
How many fishing reports do you average per year?

I too read most fishing reports and appreciate the effort guys put into these especially the ones with bugger all caught and decided it's only fair to share and started putting up reports myself. I'm happy to share and know how much info can be gathered from a pic, especially a spread of fish (a hell of a lot more than an individual fish pic) and have done so. I have received negative posts but none offensive in anyway and respectfully decided to share less to keep the minority happy.

I have definitely change my view after reading your comments on mass kill pics and will re-continue with posting all my catches without the fear of offending because theres others that enjoy the posts and at the end of the day you can always look away.

Hey Banana,
Did you even read my post in context?

I actually really enjoy your reports. (and I don't need to look away from your photos). You misunderstand me - I don't begrudge you catching a heap of fish nor posting reports. (as long as they are not wasted or dumped) . Every now and then you post picks of good catches - divvied up between a few people (Ie; 40 fish between 4 people = 10 each) - you don't appear to exceed the bag limit and I am pretty sure that you don't get out to the red grounds every day or even every week? - How often do you get out there and bring home an esky full? Once a month, once every couple of months? Certainly wouldn't call that massive fish kill. BUT, this is my point - any greenie looking for ammo is going to google phrases like "massive fish kill" etc. - and guess what they are going to find - this very post!
Now, why on earth would you want to give them ammunition to use in their fight to keep us from fishing? It's not about offending anyone on ausfish - it's about us being a bit smarter - protecting the sport/pastime/lifestyle that we all enjoy and love. For us and for our kids. We need to see the bigger picture here.

Can you not see that?

Incidentally, I see you have only posted 7 reports in 6 years - so not sure why you are asking me how many I post per year??? I don't think you have to worry about "offending people" yet.

As for my fishing reports - I post them every now and then. However I have not (until recently) had a boat good enough to go out wide to the grounds that you are so blessed to be able to fish. It would be foolish to take a 15' quinnie to the places you go.
I often think that my meager catches of a few snapper or sweetlip are less interesting than your (and others)exploits - so I guess I just didn't bother and I probably should have.
Additionally - my area of expertise is the more boating side of things - boat building, trailers and obviously my local area. - So my posts tend to reflect that.

Now that I am in a position to venture further offshore - I will be doing so and can only hope that I too can fill my esky with the colour red when those rare opportunities come around. - Will I post my reports then - absolutely. Will I be conscious of all I have said above - Yes, of course.

Hope that explains my 2c a little more clearly.........

Mark

Just_chips
05-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I often think that my meager catches of a few snapper or sweetlip are less interesting than your (and others)exploits - so I guess I just didn't bother and I probably should have.

Correct Mark, probably could have, because although these seem like meagre unexciting catches to you, they may be the current holy grail for another angler, any and all info is worthy in such instances.

Kev