PDA

View Full Version : steering need advise

james norton
19-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Hi ive just bolted on a 130hp yamaha salt series on the back of a 1989 haines 560 sl i was going to install teleflex nfb steering but when looking at the bar that rod connects to are you supose to get total lock the rod will hit the side of motor well before full lock is this normal

Hagar
20-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Hi James
That motor well must be really narrow. I would try to get full lock on that engine if you can. Maybe move the steering full that side until the end of the teleflex push pull rod hits the fibreglass and drop the connecting rod off and see how much more room it needs. I have seen an overtravel hole cut in the side of the motor well and sealed with a large steering cable round boot with the cup turned inwards to create a hole for the push pull rod to enter into. Otherwise you may need hydraulic steering made for narrow space motor wells.

Chris

Malcolm W
20-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Also try the rod in the second and third holes in the steering lever coming off the motor. Going back to these holes will give the motor more sideways travel with less steering rod travel. The down side is that the steering will be slightly firmer as the leverage lessens. A bigger steering wheel can help that though. The rod will still hit the side of the well, so you need a stopper of some sort.

Duckfish
20-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi James. I have a Haines Hunter 565L and fitted a Hydrive unit to it and had to get especially for the Haines a narrow bullhorn unit. I think you might have the same problem with yours as the splash wells in the Haines Hunters are narrow.
Duck

james norton
20-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi Guys thanks heaps for the replys always a problem when i pulled the old merc of the back it was all seized up so didnt notice what sort of lock it had not sure if it has extra holes where the arm bolts on ill check it out i was going to go mechanical my budget has been blownen out of the water with this restore hydrulic will cost me another 700 ochhh i dont no about cutting holes in the well would would be cheaper ;D;D;D

Thanks again for the replys

james norton
20-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Just went out and and had a look yea there two mor hore fare bit in might do the trick thanks