PDA

View Full Version : trailer setup advice

sjp2
18-10-2013, 06:19 AM
i have a 4.8 platey on a multi roller trailer ,16 rollers with no keel support ,has been suggested to place some sort of keel support (either wood or keel rollers on the 2 cross beams under the trailer),but i was questioning the flex and cushining effect of the rollers might be destroyed by the boat now having most of the weight supported by a strip of ridgid wood a metre long on 2 cross beams ,i intend to go to stanage bay soon and would like to neither stress me or the trailer on the 80 klm dirt road.any suggestions ?

Horse
18-10-2013, 08:11 AM
If you decide to go keel rollers you are better off with a full channel with at least 6 rollers to spread the weight. Your existing setup will probably be fine if you keep the weight out of the boat but the rollers will mark the hull

bundylundy
18-10-2013, 05:41 PM
If your boat has a welded keel, I would be using some sort of keel support. The welded keel of a plate tinny is the strongest part of the boat, so should be where you are supporting the greatest part ot the weight. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer for their recommendation. I was under the the assumption that tinnies use keel rollers or keel slide for support but not necessary for fiberglass boats. My opion on the matter but am not an expert.

Jeff.

Chimo
18-10-2013, 06:33 PM
SJP2

When I had my 5.6 tinny ie as soon as i bought it, the boat manufacturer told me to set the trailer up so that all rollers ie keel and side, all supported the same weight. The optimum was that they were all equally easy or hard to rotate with the boat on the trailer and secured for travel. You also need the correct rollers but no doubt you well aware of that point.

Cheers
Chimo

Matt76
18-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I got an FMS trailer built and under their recommendation didn't include keel rollers. It was a brilliant trailer and super easy to drive on/off. If it's a true plate boat the hull should be more than strong enough to support it without keel rollers. If in doubt ring the manufacturer.

sjp2
19-10-2013, 06:58 AM
yeah horse , the rollers sure have made the contact points very shiny on the hull ,and the rollers are moveable with the boat on so i guess that they are not under too much weight ,but just for peace of mind or if a roller cracks etc i decided to put a block of wood with a V cut down the centre ,just touching the keel but not taking much weight ,still concerned about the flexing of the trailer and putting pressure point s in the middle of the cross bars on a trailer that not meant for keel rollers,the manufacturer suggested soft rollers eg rubber,but seeing as its only a temporary setup (boat wont slide off or on very well)i will try the wood,and take it off when i get there.