PDA

View Full Version : Warning to aquarium enthusiasts

Fisheries Queensland
16-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Queensland Government
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

16 October 2013
Warning to aquarium enthusiasts

Aquarium enthusiasts are being urged to take care when collecting or buying fish for their aquarium.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officer Philippa Newton said QBFP have noted an increase in the number of recreational fishers catching illegal fish for their aquariums.

“All regulated fish must comply with size and possession limits regardless of whether they are kept for consumption or to keep in an aquarium,” she said.

“Some fish, such as declared noxious fish and no-take species, cannot be taken and kept in aquariums.

“There are restrictions on the types of recreational fishing gear that can be used when collecting fish from tidal waters for aquariums.

“The most popular gear to use is a scoop net, which must not exceed 2m in any dimension, have a handle not longer than 2.5m and a minimum 25mm mesh size.

“It’s also important to remember that you cannot collect aquarium fish to sell unless you have the appropriate licence.

“Collecting aquarium fish to sell without the appropriate licence could land you an $1100 on-the-spot fine or a maximum penalty of $110,000.”

Ms Newton warned aquarium enthusiasts to also take care when purchasing aquarium fish, especially through online classifieds.

“People need to ensure the fish they purchase for their tank is legal.

“If buying a fish, check if the species is regulated and whether it has a size limit. If a size limit applies, ensure the fish meets the requirements.

“Always request a receipt to assist in identifying the source and legitimate sale of the fish.

“A $220 on-the-spot fine or a maximum penalty of $110,000 applies to people found in possession of an undersize fish.”

“If anyone suspects that fish is being sold illegally, for example an undersize fish from Queensland waters or a noxious fish, report it immediately to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

For more information on size and possession limits or collecting fish for aquariums, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au (http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au/) or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey 3087 8601

wayno60
16-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Ok I know someone that was able to adapt(not the right word) a flattie to brackish water and keep it in with his Mangrovejack....which is all good but what happens when/if the flat one gets to 75cm do you have to let your pet that you've looked after, fed, changed water, cleaned tank for years, go???

TREVELLY
16-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Most fish size themselves to the tank they are in - would be a heck of a big tank to encourage it to grow that big.

I have a 2m long aquarium and the crappy goldfish only get to about 150mm long. In the wild they would get to 600-900mm long.

Now the tank you would keep this in:-

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/animals/discovery-of-a-lifetime-giant-5metre-oarfish-found-by-snorkeller-20131016-2vlii.html

samson
17-10-2013, 06:12 PM
You don't seriously think fisheries give too shits about whether it's your pet or not look what the council did to pit bulls killed heaps of innocent pets just because they've got a badge and they can that's what they do.

Triple
17-10-2013, 06:29 PM
So what's the go with pet shops selling undersize natives like toga, barramundi and even murray cod?

Triple
17-10-2013, 06:44 PM
And if we cant possess regulated fish out of size limits, What's the difference between a aquarium tank inside and a dam on my property if I have stocked it and it contains undersize yellas and cod?

rayken1938
17-10-2013, 07:46 PM
To answer all the questions why not send an email to daff and then publish the result.
Cheers
Ray

Gazza
21-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Ok I know someone that was able to adapt(not the right word) a flattie to brackish water and keep it in with his Mangrovejack....which is all good but what happens when/if the flat one gets to 75cm do you have to let your pet that you've looked after, fed, changed water, cleaned tank for years, go???EAT IT !!!!!!
when it gets to 66.6cms !!! :laola:

....saves the 75cms DRAMA....:'(
:devil:

Gazza
21-10-2013, 03:43 PM
And if we cant possess regulated fish out of size limits, What's the difference between a aquarium tank inside and a dam on my property if I have stocked it and it contains undersize yellas and cod?in a dam?? ...
Simple , try 2 remove the "oversize" ones AND EAT THEM , too let the little one(s) get "oversize"
AND...if they breed :laola:
well you'll probably get life "if" you think it's an "aquarium" :'( , or "just a maybe M8" , get lifetime enjoyment :D

jmo :thumbsup:

Richo1
21-10-2013, 08:42 PM
And if we cant possess regulated fish out of size limits, What's the difference between a aquarium tank inside and a dam on my property if I have stocked it and it contains undersize yellas and cod?

Just keep your proof of purchase of fingerlings and you will be fine. Whether you have them in a tank or a dam,

wayno60
22-10-2013, 08:47 PM
So what's the go with pet shops selling undersize natives like toga, barramundi and even murray cod?

And Jacks.......captive breed.

The DPI on Bribie isl breed jacks to stock dams for feeder fish for Barra's and some made it to the aquarium trade...

Fisheries Queensland
23-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi everyone,

We understand the media release above has raised a few questions. We hope our response below helps to clear up some of the confusion.

If you obtain a regulated fish from someone legally producing that fish (under permit or a development application) then you are permitted to be in possession of that fish outside the legal size limits provided you have legitimate documentation to prove its origin (a receipt for example).

If you collect a fish from the wild that is of legal size at the time of collection, you would need to euthanase the fish before it goes over it's maximum size limit or apply for a general fisheries permit to possess it.

Possession of regulated undersized or oversized natives by retail outlets or people legally stocking their dam or aquarium is permitted provided the fish was produced in captivity under permit or development application. Any fish produced this way can be possessed by others legally if they have legitimate documentation to prove the origin of the fish (e.g. receipt).

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any further queries. Your best bet to ensure a prompt response is to call our Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 or email callweb@daff.qld.gov.au

Cheers,
Fisheries Queensland

Captain Seaweed
23-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Idiots...absolute idiots. Are we really losing that many undersized fish to aquariums? WTF????

Captain Seaweed
23-10-2013, 04:40 PM
What a waste of tax payers money, has the DPI run out of things to do with their time? Bust people with aquariums? I guess all over avenues of undersize fish protection are that exhausted that we are so far down the list and its now time to look at aquariums???

Muddy Toes
23-10-2013, 04:42 PM
“A $220 on-the-spot fine or a maximum penalty of $110,000 applies to people found in possession of an undersize fish.”

I know which one I'd be choosing.........

Luc
23-10-2013, 06:02 PM
For goodness sake, it's only a media release!!

samson
23-10-2013, 09:08 PM
What did I tell you if you think the government has any issues stepping into your home and prosecuting you and killing the family pet in front of children or whoever think again they are callous as they come.