PDA

View Full Version : Hydrive Side Mount Cylinder seals

Spiderpig
15-10-2013, 09:09 PM
The steering on my small boat has started slipping. It is not air in the unit, I am pretty sure that is is bypassing the seals in the cylinder.

Has anyone pulled one apart and got any tips or tricks?

I am going to tackle it this weekend, I'm sure I'll work it out but any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Moonlighter
15-10-2013, 09:48 PM
I had one on my previous boat. It was perfect, until....

I bought a new motor and the dealer fitted it, but neglected to install the locking nut /spacer on the tilt tube that fixes the hydrive side mount cylinder in place.

Iif this lock nut/spacer is not fitted, and the hydrive cylinder is simply screwed onto the tilt tube until it is tight, the end of the tilt tube fouls the seals inside the hydrive cylinder and they eventually fail. Thats what happened to mine. You should check that the narrow silver lock nut/spacer is fitted on yours in case that is the cause of the leak.

You can get a kit from hydrive to replace the seals and its quite straightforward to do, or you can return it to Hydrive and they will do it for you.

Spiderpig
16-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Thanks mate, I just installed this myself, took it off a yammy and put it on a merc. The lock nut is there, but it could possibly be fouling as I screwed it on a long way before tightening the lock nut.

I purchased a kit for my KC from hydrive last year and it was an absolute rip off. A hand full of o-rings for something like $80 from memory. I was going to go to the local hydraulic shop to get the seals this time.

Moonlighter
16-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Good idea. They arent complicated as you would know, so i reckon pulling it apart and getting equivalent seals from a suitable hydraulics supplier would be fine.

I seem to recall screwing the hyd cylinder onto the tilt tube to the point where it touched, then backed it off a couple of turns and locked it there