PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium hull,corrosion

sporty1
13-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Hi guys
After having my motor serviced by my mobile mechanic recently, he suggested there is a school of thought that you can reduce the effects of electrolysis by running a small alligator clip from the hull (Chine a good area) to a earth (metal point in the garage or in my case the home earth is close by ) apparently salt can never be completely washed of the boat as it gets into everything, the hull,will develop a positive charge caused by this electrolysis ( use a multi meter to check this out)!and by reducing this current it is possible to slow the bubbling caused around dissimilar metals. Any others have opinions on this?
Murray

davo
13-10-2013, 02:21 PM
I am not sure where the current would be flowing to?? The negative on any outboard is connected to the body of the outboard and that is the reason why the frame of the hull should never be used as a current flow return path for electrics (like a car). The boat is in no way connected to the household electrical system and even sits on nylon rollers and rubber tyres so no current should flow at all.

This one sounds like the old one about not leaving your battery on the floor or it will discharge.

With alloy boats wash them with warm soapy water. All I have ever used was cheap dishwashing liquid. Plain water doesn't get the salt off.

I have been doing this for over 25 years without a problem.

FNQCairns
13-10-2013, 03:16 PM
One way that is quite good enough for the recreational boater is to remove the battery's completely.....until the next trip, rince repeat.

Convinced the battery's do make a difference over the long term even if boat is well washed down.

TheRealAndy
15-10-2013, 11:05 PM
You mechanic should stick with fixing motors, because he has no idea about corrosion science and physics..

Wash your boat with as much fresh water as possible. It will work ok, unlike the crap your mechanic is dribbling.