PDA

View Full Version : A bit of old stainless screw under the floor. How long before it makes a hole?

PeterKroll
12-10-2013, 06:55 PM
This is a follow-on from my other question in this forum, but it's another bit of knowledge I don't have.

When I removing some oar clips from the boat, a small piece of old corroded stainless screw (3-5mm, I guess) broke off and fell down behind the strut and in to the bottom of the boat.

I guess the floor will have to come up, but the question is, how long would it take a bit of screw to corrode through the floor of the tinnie? Is it a few years sort of thing?

Justin Rossiter
12-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Yep, a good while Peter if ever, as it will move about not just sit in the one spot intent on rusting your tinnie floor.

Shark Poker
12-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok so please allow me to summarise your situation as it appears at this time:

You can not find your local new artificial reef.
You have removed the oars.
You would prefer to consider a use by date of your boat rather than clean out under the floor.

Possibly you are considering a solution to all 3 of the above points, by scuttling your tinny above the reef in 2 to 3 years to establish some visible structure on said reef and save you some headaches?

Please tell me you have a better plan!
Pauly

PeterKroll
12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Fatbuoy, in so little time, you have come to know me so well. Even I didn't know that was what I was doing, and yet it's so obvious.

PeterKroll
13-10-2013, 04:07 PM
A followup on this topic.... Today I lifted the floor. I expected a tacklebox of sins beneath that weathered wood, but found only three sinkers and the pulltag from a zip.

On the downside, a rivet shaft flew out of the gun and went who - knows - where.

All in all though, I see this as a net gain.

The boat is starting to look tidy. Nylon clips for everything. Just a couple of Ausfish stickers, and I'll be the envy of.... Hmm mm...