PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fairly dirty clears

spelchek
10-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching around the forum, and most threads about cleaning clears seem to have the the one underlying message - don't scrub the clears when cleaning.

I've got a set of clears that are very dirty - dusty, in-a-hardstand-for-a-year type grime, not greasy crap. I don't think a plain hose off is going to do it (its a pretty good layer of dirt) and am worried about scratching them. They are 'brand new' in that they've been on the boat for awhile, but the boats not been used since -so underneath the layer of dirt they are mickey mouse.

Any advice appreciated.

Giffo65
10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
What boat did you end up getting Brad ?

spelchek
10-10-2013, 09:22 PM
35 Riviera Giffo.

Darren Mc
10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Try Vuplex. Works very well to clean up clears and leaves a protective film on the surface. I'm pretty sure I've seen it for sale at bunnings, if not, any of the marine shops should have it. Very good product IMO.

tenzing
10-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Darren Mc is right on the money
BCF also stock it .

2 weis
10-10-2013, 10:32 PM
try cleaning with warm soapy water first. then when you get most of the grit off use vuplex
brian

Triple
10-10-2013, 10:50 PM
+1 on vuplex but hose em off and wash with a carwash and non scratch mitt first then vuplex or even mr sheen if you cant get vuplex.

spelchek
10-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys. I'd gotten the vuplex name from my searches. I'm just abit worried about scratching them with the initial clean. Bought a microfibre window washer/squeegee on an extendable handle (the clears are on the flybridge so I wasn't sure about how to reach them). Do you guys reckon liberal water and light brush with the microfibre will be ok?

Triple
10-10-2013, 11:01 PM
ok but safer with a carwash to act as a lubricant and cleaner. plenty of low pressure water first to moisten the dust particles and light pressure with the microfibre and carwash. Then vuplex polish or mr sheen.

scuttlebutt
11-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Plexus is very good for clears too. Get a bag of microfibre cloths from any of the discount shops, cost stuff-all, that way you can use a new one each time you clean your clears.

deasy
11-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Mr sheen works well too

timddo
11-10-2013, 06:20 PM
No to be silly. Why don't you gernie it then use whatever chemical you want.

Triple
11-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Using a high pressure washer on dry dirt/dust particles "may" cause fine scratches. He wants to play it safe so a good soaking with house hose pressure and a wash will minimise the risk. High end cars do not get gernied for that reason and you should really house hose off as much mud off your 4wd before you hit it with the gernie too.

CruiserV8100
11-10-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't know why you don't slap a layer of meguiars carnauba wax on your clears once a month or so and wash it off. I cake my boat and windscreen with it than terry towel it off. Don't see why it shouldn't work on clears to help protect or even initial clean of layer of dirt. I do my bonnet protector ,headlights and protector, fog lamps and protectors rear tail lights you name it, it gets wax. Plastic is clear and clean as it was brand new and its all 8years old.

matt mill
14-10-2013, 07:47 AM
We use vuplex for general cleans and works fine.

But when polishing fairly dirty clears, wash with a soft sponge and soapy water, then we use a product called silk wax. It is just a polmer-silicone car wax but works a treat for polishing clears and leaves a nice film on them for a good month atleast.