PDA

View Full Version : Ally Refurbishment Project Advice Need

jhmtaylor
10-10-2013, 01:21 PM
I have a 5M plate aluminium fishing tinnie that was custom built for me 15 years ago, which is now in need of some major TLC.
My project will involve stripping the boat of all fittings, adding a casting deck and live well, minor repairs to some welded items. Remove old paint and new paint job, new electronics and new motor. I would like some advice on the following;

Can anyone recommend a good aluminium fabricator near Noosa?

The boat currently has a Suzuki 65 HP two stroke which pushes it onto a plane at 14 knots and 32knots WOT. The next motor will probably be 70 HP but I don't know whether to get 2 or 4 stroke. In 2 stroke I am thinking of E-Tec and in 4 stroke Either Yamaha F70 or Suzuki DF70. Comments on this motor options would be appreciated?8-)

mutineer
10-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Out there and probably not what your after but that seems like around $20k worth of work would the sale of yours get you a newer boat in the config you want .. just putting it out there

jhmtaylor
10-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Buying a new one was an option, but what I have does everything I require and is virtually bullet proof. I once hit a large unlit mooring buoy on a dark night whilst doing 20 knots. Tinnie 1 Mooring buoy 0 and the fright took two years off my life expectancy.

Moonlighter
10-10-2013, 04:42 PM
This will be a great project to watch unfold!

A mate of mine who is a member here on Ausfish (Beastmaster) did a similar total rebuild on his Sportfish 5.8m Cuddy a few years ago, and it turned out extremely well. You get exactly what you want, on a hull that you know, and the satisfaction of seeing a significant project unfold in front of you. If you can do some of the work, such as wiring, fitout etc yourself you can save quite a few $ as well.

Plus, the end result, if done well and managed carefully, will be well worth it and below the cost of a similar new 5m custom plate alloy boat.

Once the alloy work is all done, soda blasting to get the old paint off ready for the new paint job would be the go.

A new 90 Suzuki 4 stroke would be perfect. Its the same weight as the 70 Zuke and is a very economical engine. On a 5m plate boat, it would be sweet and if cared for will last many thousands of hours!! Stay away from the 2 strokes, no resale value any more on them.

Why dont you tell us where you are located and people may be able to recommend suppliers/services in your area for various components you might need?

jhmtaylor
10-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Moonlighter thanks for the advice about 2 strokes. The boat is rated for 70HP but what does that really mean. Is it the weight of motor as they were 15 + years ago. I know similar size boats are now rated for 90HP but what is the reason for the difference. 90HP makes sense to me because it will not be working as hard.
In regard to soda blasting I thought that was the go until today but I spoke with a soda blast company today, they advised a fine garnet blast because faster, cheaper and will provide an excellent key for the paint system. I plan on using a high build polysiloxane for the paint job. It is expensive paint but the durability can't be beaten.

I am currently in Darwin but will be shipping the boat to Noosa in a few weeks. I will upload some photos before, during and after when the job starts.

Moonlighter
10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Good stuff. If you need canopy/upholstery work done i can recommend a great shop near the Bribie island turnoff at Caboolture. Ray's Canvas & Marine. Ray Wessels is your guy.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the hull re-rated to 90hp. If you get a competent local alloy boatbuilder to do the mods there is every chance they will do that for you at the same time.

macca3441
11-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Hi mate.
Have a chat to Col at Origin Boats. They're in Clontarf, not too far from Noosa.
They just finished my new 4950 platey, and their work is beyond reproach!! Cant hurt to have a chat. (And he deals with Suzi's as well)

Macca

Short Fuse
11-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I can recommend Alan Broughton from Sea Trek Marine in Caloundra. They are at 5 Allen Street, Moffat Beach, Caloundra (Phone 0438 443 203). Their alloy work is first class. They are currently building my new (glass) Sea Trek Cat, and also build the alloy trailers for their boats as well. Well worth having a talk to them and getting a price for the work you want done as they are close to the Noosa area.

Cheers

Jeff.