PDA

View Full Version : I had a bit of luck today

Mike Delisser
09-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Copped a lucky break today while fishing at Borumba this morning with a mate from work. I was catching a few bass by jigging blades but my mate was struggling so I tried to show him the right technique to use. Ended up giving him one of my rods as his were all too light in the tip. I dropped the blade to the bottom and showed him exactly how hard to work it then I handed him the rod........well I thought I was handing him the rod...........splash, a $400 outfit goes over the side in 25 feet of water. I instinctively dived in after it but came up empty (in hindsight a stupid & dangerous move). Then I climbed back in the boat and listened to him tell me how he probably should of grabbed it as soon as it hit the water but he thought it would float as the rod had cork grips. Anyway I got my car keys and my wallet contents out of my pockets to dry, then started with the reef anchor. I tried unsuccessfully for 2 hours and was just about to give up when another mate came over to see what we were up to. I told him the story and then he had a go with his anchor. Two mins latter he pulled up my rod. I owe you some beer Bruce Horsfall, thanks mate.

BTW we caught about 20 bass on blades and plastics, the lake is fishing pretty good atm.
Cheers
Mike D

gunna
10-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Very lucky. Fresh water too hey.

bowds13
10-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Every one has that one mate who will either lose or broke your rod. My mate owes me about $600 worth of rod now..And that's after taking him on only 3 trips haha

solemandownunder
10-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Mike, you did well, in the end...go buy a lotto ticket M8 :D

Cheers, Ray.

PeterKroll
10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Bowds13, I have a mate who lost the brand new rod of my then wife. We were anchored at Short Island, and something grabbed it and it was over the side literally in a flash.

His rather weak defence was that he was distracted, just because I had managed to run us aground on the Jumpinpin bar at about 2am on a windy winter's morning on an incoming tide in a 4 metre tinny. (2 of the marks that I had taken turned out to be fishing boats). I thought the way we surfed off the bar was exhilarating. It did get hairy from time to when when the prop came out of the water and the boat went sideways across the face of the waves.

Still, that's the joy of fishing.

Strangely, he chose to never go out in the boat with me again.

Mike Delisser
10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Every one has that one mate who will either lose or broke your rod. My mate owes me about $600 worth of rod now..And that's after taking him on only 3 trips haha

To be fair I'm as much at fault as my mate, but as the skipper of the vessel I recon it's my prerogative to blame the crew for everything that goes wrong ;D.

onerabbit
16-10-2013, 05:05 PM
It did get hairy from time to when when the prop came out of the water and the boat went sideways across the face of the waves.

Still, that's the joy of fishing.

MMMMM, yeah.......sounds like a gr8 time

glad I wasn't there

Muzz