PDA

View Full Version : Small clear and blue ring jellyfish in Moreton Bay - what is it?

PixieAU
06-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Unfortunately didn't think to take a pic because I figured a Google search at home would produce the results - alas not the case

Saw quite a few small (about 5cm across) jelly fish today, generally a clear body with, best described as, a clear skirt and clear tentacles and a vibrant blue ring around the inside

I couldn't imagine they were box jellyfish because i wouldn't have thought the water warm enough and they were round rather than even close to box-shaped.

Any ideas? Couldn't find any images on Google or anything on Qld Govt. website

Thanks

Si
10-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately didn't think to take a pic because I figured a Google search at home would produce the results - alas not the case

Saw quite a few small (about 5cm across) jelly fish today, generally a clear body with, best described as, a clear skirt and clear tentacles and a vibrant blue ring around the inside

I couldn't imagine they were box jellyfish because i wouldn't have thought the water warm enough and they were round rather than even close to box-shaped.

Any ideas? Couldn't find any images on Google or anything on Qld Govt. website

Thanks

Blue Button Jellyfish??

Triple
10-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Thanks

I don't know what one you saw as apparently there is nearly 2500 different species of jellies in australian waters and all but one is capable of stinging but just so people know -
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/03/27/449335_gold-coast-news.html