PDA

View Full Version : Electric / Hydraulic 12 pin wiring for Triton

kiwimex
05-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi, I have just purchased a new boat in the USA and I have had an Australian compliant trailer built for the boat, The trailer comes with electric over hydraulic brakes and a 12pin plug for the wiring.

I imagine I will need to install a brake controller in the cab of my Triton. I have been looking at the Tekonsha P3. Does anyone have any experience with the brake controller / 12pin socket wiring and installation for a 2013 Triton 4x4 ute or can you recommend an installer in the Brisbane area. I have had quotes from $350-$850 for the installation, with such a large variance in the pricing I am a little worried about being ripped off.

If any members out there can help me out, It would really be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Steve

Camhawk88
05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Cant help with the plug but I installed a P3 in my Triton last week. Best quote I got for installation was $320 but I found an auto leccy to do it cash for $120. Fitted the bracket next to the 12V socket and it fits - just.

peterbo3
05-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Try Todd at Sangate Auto Electrics. He did mine & six years without a problem. 32693158.

kiwimex
06-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the replies, anyone out there completed the wiring themselves?

kiwimex
08-10-2013, 06:08 PM
bump to top for more feedback

rexaway123
09-10-2013, 06:05 AM
Any towbar place can do it also. My local did my 12 pin up to a tekonsha controller in my ranger for 200 from memory.
Unless u really know what u doing don't risk doing yourself given huge safety risk associated after u obviously dished out some good cash for the boat .
Remember u need the separate line for the breakaway system power on trailer also and circuit breakers

gofishin
09-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Depending on where you are you could also try Leo from 'United Car Care' at Morley St Coorparoo. Possibly not the cheapest you will find but excellent service and attention to detail, and the job is done right the first time! And tested in front of you with a little gizmo!

Any towbar place can do it also.... You would think so....!

Recently had one installed by a mob on the Northside that provide 'towbar services' to Dealers & Motor Traders only (not to public) as part of a new car deal. They have a high turnover of vehicles so should know what they are doing...

The EBC & circuit diagrams/clear instructions were provided etc... Not only did they not run power to pin 2, they secured the C/B by drilling 2 Tek screws right thru the wheel arch of a new LC200 Altitude...within 20mm of existing 'free' nutcerts, and within 100mm of an already secured big bundle of secured cables (that would also provide a good securing point).

Not only was I fuming at the installation and complete lack of respect and laziness of the installer... the response and 'attitude' of the manager was utterly astonishing...needless to say if they dealt with the public they wouldn't be in business for very long!

I took it to Leo who sorted it out for me (have used him before, as have a few mates). Cost me money but there was no way I was letting the original yobbos get their hands on it again!

Here is a circuit diagram for a 12 pin connector compliments of Chimo from another thread. This website also has other good info & stuff that might come in handy with your American trailer ( I use them for mine).
Cheers
Brendon

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?195007-Titan-Brakerite-compatible-with-Tekonsha-Voyager

kiwimex
09-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks all the replies, I really do appreciate the advice.

Cheers
Steve

Camhawk88
19-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Steve empty some of your PMs mate- I have sent you one but your inbox is full

kiwimex
19-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Camhawk88 all empty

Cheers