PDA

View Full Version : Titan Brakerite compatible with Tekonsha Voyager?

scuttlebutt
30-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Have had to replace my brake pump and have ended up with a Titan Brakerite.

Only now my Tekonsha Voyager isnt working.

Anyone know if these two unts are compatible? I've switched from a Hydrastar.

cheers,

Steve

Chimo
30-09-2013, 06:51 PM
This is probably why, A BrakeRite ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT 2008 Ver 2 - BrakeRite Reduced.pdf (http://www.titanbrakes.com.au/products/BrakeRite%20Reduced.pdf)

Cheers
Chimo

PS Why did you move away from the hydrastar?

scuttlebutt
30-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks Chimo, dunno if that is the reason but anyway....

My Hydrastar stopped working, apparently seized. The shop told me that Brakerite was better built and fixable whereas Hydrastar is very sensitive to clean fluid and a throwaway if it's broken. Whether this is true or not I don't know. Haven't found a lot on the net.

Anyway, going back tomorrow to see if they can get the controller sorted out.

This combined with new calipers, pads, bearings etc has left me with a bit of a sore wallet so I'll be delighted if I need a new controller as well.

Chimo
30-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Buy a decent winch and stop drowning the brakes and you will be amazed at how little deterioration your brakes experience and how little money you have to spend on your trailer to maintain it in tip top condition ...................

DAVE_S
30-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Check if you have a power wire from the battery ( car ) to the brakerite if not that will be why its not working . Mate had fitted a prodigy to brakerite and it work fine only after that power wire was connected ,i think for memory it goes to number 2 on a 7 pin round . Iam running haynes genis to my brakerite .

wags on the water
01-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks Chimo, dunno if that is the reason but anyway....

My Hydrastar stopped working, apparently seized. The shop told me that Brakerite was better built and fixable whereas Hydrastar is very sensitive to clean fluid and a throwaway if it's broken. Whether this is true or not I don't know. Haven't found a lot on the net.

Anyway, going back tomorrow to see if they can get the controller sorted out.

This combined with new calipers, pads, bearings etc has left me with a bit of a sore wallet so I'll be delighted if I need a new controller as well.

A new circuit board would have cost you $238 and about 2L of brake fluid would have fixed your hydrastar unit.

scuttlebutt
08-10-2013, 08:37 AM
A new circuit board would have cost you $238 and about 2L of brake fluid would have fixed your hydrastar unit.

Sorry mate, didn't realise you'd seen it.

gofishin
08-10-2013, 10:39 AM
SB, I don’t think Wags was being a smart ar$e, just stating a sometimes common fault with them & that is the circuit board cr@ps itself. And, if the place you spoke to didn’t realise (or know the product), it could have possibly been misdiagnosed!

Anyway,back on the question…

The Titan is indeed a great unit! I would buyone over a H/S any day! (my 2c). Touch wood mine is 5+ yrs old & hasn’t missed a beat! Both operate under the same principle (powered hydraulic brake systems), so if the EBC worked with the Hydrastar unit (which would also require 12V to pin No.2 I would have thought!!), I don’t know why it would not work with the Titan!

However, looking up the specs on their website you would think the Voyager may not work with either!…

Specs:
· Application: trailers with up to 4 axles (8 brake assemblies)

o Designedfor use with electric brakes only
· Dimensions: 3" wide x 5" long x 1-1/2" tall
· Mounting: between -20 degrees and 70 degrees in the vertical plane
· 5-Year limited warranty

'Electric brakes' are what is used with smaller caravans etc, ‘powered hydraulic’ or ‘electric over hydraulic’ are what is used on boats (and ‘2t +’ caravans)

An easy check is; get your multimeter & check for 12V power to pin 2 on the trailer plug (7 pin round or flat).

Cheers
Brendon

scuttlebutt
08-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah no probs mate. Was probably a bit pissed off at the time.

Reason being, I actually made sure to take the old pump with me and out of interest got around to running some power into it today. Sure enough it blasted fluid out so hard it hit the wall. This is from a unit I was told was seized and not worth fixing. Funny how now it runs smooth and powerful. Rang the shop and of course they stuck to their story that they couldnt get it to work etc. Very dissapointing and I told them so, not that it makes any difference.

Anyway, lessons learnt:

1. Wont be going back there and will tell everyone I know of my experience.
2. Always get a second opinion on expensive work (unless it's a shop you've used before and have a reason to trust).

So, now I've got a spare Hydrastar unit.

And if anyone's still interested in the original question, the Voyager works fine with the Titan unit. I just had to muck around with the settings.

cheers,

Steve

Chimo
08-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Unbelievable.....................!

wags on the water
08-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Sorry mate, didn't realise you'd seen it.

My apologies for trying to help out. I rang Hydrastar when my unit stopped working and was told it was rooted - gunna cost you $1500 to fix. In the end I diagnosed it myself - a new breakaway switch $28 and then a circuit board $238 and 2L of brake fluid. Maybe if I had suggested you try buying said circuit board would you feel better or are you pissed because you post up on a forum and expect everyone to understand your problem trailer.

So no I haven't seen it - and definitely wont be suggesting anything in the future -

scuttlebutt
08-10-2013, 08:20 PM
My apologies for trying to help out. I rang Hydrastar when my unit stopped working and was told it was rooted - gunna cost you $1500 to fix. In the end I diagnosed it myself - a new breakaway switch $28 and then a circuit board $238 and 2L of brake fluid. Maybe if I had suggested you try buying said circuit board would you feel better or are you pissed because you post up on a forum and expect everyone to understand your problem trailer.

So no I haven't seen it - and definitely wont be suggesting anything in the future -

No need to apologise. In your post you were diagnosing my old Hydrastar unit without even seeing it. I read it as a smart-alec post, bearing in mind that all I was asking was if the Tekonsha was compatible with the Titan.

Anyway, you can have the last laugh, as if you read my post above you'd see that I've since tested the old Hydrastar unit at home and it still works fine, not seized at all as I had been told by the shop. If I'd had your prescence of mind I would have checked it myself BEFORE spending a shedload on a new unit.