PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Island Camping info

mattooty
30-09-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm heading up to Moreton Island for the long weekend for the first time and having never been there I was chasing some advice and info. We've paid for the barge and camping and all the rest and are camping on the east side of the island....and that's about where my knowledge of the place ends. As I'm lead to believe, all amenities (resort, shop, luxuries) are on the west side of the island, is this correct?
How long of a trip is it should I be chasing ice or to just go exploring?
What is the ground like on the east side? I have heard its mostly sand (yep, I'll throw the sand pegs in).
Fishing wise I'm just throwing in a couple of beach rods and I'll have a poke around for a bream or whiting. It's more a reccy mission than a hard core fishing trip and I'll have the mrs in tow.
If anyone is over there, I'll be in an early 90's model dual cab red Toyota Hilux with a faded roof/bonnet and canopy. Feel free to say Gday or to tow me out of a pickle ::)

dec0guy
30-09-2013, 07:32 PM
National parks website has some good info and maps.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/moreton-island/

Been a couple of years, but I think it took about 30 min to cross the island from Tangalooma to the east side

Jakers 69
30-09-2013, 08:48 PM
All sand, check your tyres and enjoy. I go there 3 times a year and love the place. If you need more details PM me with your phone no.