PDA

View Full Version : Outrigger pole using 316 25mm tube.

timddo
29-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I have a few small pieces of 316 25mm tube left over. I was intending to use a 3 meter length as a outrigger. Beside weight, will there be any problems with this project.

Midnight
30-09-2013, 10:21 AM
No problem other than the weight, and therefore the leverage on the mounting point

tunaticer
30-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Being non-forgiving it will probably break your mounts. Try holding the base 6 inches of it out level and jog up the yard and see how heavy it is.

MrNanks
30-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Timdo, If you like I will check at work as we used to have a shatload of the hollow fibreglass fuse pullers that electricians use. They are extendable and I am sure they go to about 6m if you need or use half of them only. They are orange but if you like I will grab you a set. Let me know. I will check how many are there in case others want to set up a cheap set of outriggers.

Cheers Dave

deckie
01-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Would rather buy and rig up a couple of cheap second hand beach rods.
at 19mm inside diam of your tube you could use maybe 1m of the 316 then cut and shove in and epoxy a fglass beach rod into it for some flex.
probably a dumb idea.

Midnight
01-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Not dumb deckie, I was going to suggest a similar thing. It is just hard to find the old heavy wall 15' surf rods from 25 years ago now.

MyWay
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM
maybe could be easy solution
did you check this one in classifieds

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=1599

timddo
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
maybe could be easy solution
did you check this one in classifieds

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=1599

Yes the only problem is i'm on a budget and $750 is a tad expensive.

deckie
02-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Not dumb deckie, I was going to suggest a similar thing. It is just hard to find the old heavy wall 15' surf rods from 25 years ago now.
I reckon there are tens of thousands of those heavy beach rods just sitting around in garages gathering cobwebs. I often wonder about them as small boat outriggers for the common man and nice to know at least one other doesnt think its a completely dumb idea.
I would've thought due to cutting the butts to fit the actual length isnt the issue, even 10ft actual rod length would end up sufficient after construction...just the right wrap/weight as u say would be key.
Nett length of say 10-12 ft is perfectly fine for trailerboats surely. Thats still a significant 30ft+ spread in the water..plenty with staggered lengths off trailerboats.
Could be a nice cottage industry in "poor mans outriggers" offering up easy detachables for trailerboats based on f/glass blanks and a bit of 316 tubing...as long as its done right.
Whilst 1 piece might be optimal...with a bit of fiddling with design even the 2 piece rods offer ease of storage coz lets face it, on trailerboats they dont get used every trip out and the boat needs to be easy to transport to and from the ramp.

timddo
04-10-2013, 09:44 PM
I would like to thank mrnanks for his generosity and kindness.
I have unpacked the poles and they look great.

Seahorse
05-10-2013, 05:55 PM
What are the outriggers for

solemandownunder
06-10-2013, 03:56 AM
what he said :stupid: ;D

I know about outriggers in PRINCIPLE, but know nothing about the operation...

Any explanations would be helpful...

Thanks, Ray.

MrNanks
06-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I would like to thank mrnanks for his generosity and kindness.
I have unpacked the poles and they look great.My pleasure mate. I am keen to know if they will work for you and how they get set up.
Cheers

nipper525
07-10-2013, 06:20 AM
As a few people have mentioned maybe some old beach rods would work. Maybe a FSU6120 blank would work with a little extension. They are a light blank with PLENTY of guts to use as an outrigger. Just a thought for small boat outriggers on a budget.