PDA

View Full Version : First Cobia from Jetski

spottymac
28-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I headed out from the Fingal boat ramp at 6am with a mate to fish Nine Mile Reef.
All looked good until we crossed the Tweed Bar and it was blowing strong from the south so we headed for Point Danger and jigged up a few live Yakkas, I sent one down to see what was hanging around, not much plenty of bait but no action.
My mate Clive headed off to Palm Beach for a look and I stuck it out in the same spot.
It would not have been 5 mins after Clive headed off the rod hooked up :) Yes I am ON
I backed the drag off as I have not landed a Big fish on a jetski before most of my fishing has been from Kayaks,
He stayed down deep and headed out off the reef which was good, I kept pumping and winding and slowly got him to the surface and my first shot with the gaff was a good one and gentle pulled him on board.

I would say he was about 18 kgs as he measured over 1.3 m

TLD 20 Reel, 30lb braid and 40 lb leader on a Live fibre Rod

This is a pic of the fish which was taken back at the boat ramp.

Can anyone help with the best way to load a pic on this Forum

Thanks Spottymac

Jakers 69
28-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Nice work,
were is your kayak?

spottymac
28-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Nice work,
were is your kayak?

In the shed gathering dust, I have a Stealth Super Lite for Palmy and a Hobie AI for out off the Seaway

Giffo65
28-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Very nice fish. I launched at Fingal on Friday arvo and fished point reef from 2 pm till 5pm in the same manner for no result. Well done !

Seahorse
30-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Mate that is unreal. You must be stoked. I know i would. How was it going through the bar. I fish of my ski all the time but havnt been outside as yet.

MrNanks
30-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Very jealous. Great stuff

spottymac
01-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Thank guys

Seahorse, I have got heap to learn about the bar crossings but so far all good,

I headed out to the reef off the Gold Coast Seaway on Sunday morning for a fish,
The weather forecast said for winds of 10 knots and increasing throughout the day, but it was perfect up 10 am.
I spent a lot of time looking for some live bait and the best I could do was 3 Tailor from the Scottish Princes.
Headed out to the Pinnacle for a look and dropped down a live tailor and drifted around for 2 hrs with not much happening except a few Whales put on show for me.
Just about to pack up and the rod went off with a bit of a battle with a Big Mac Tuna, ;D

Tony R
03-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Good work Spotty.....

Nice size cobia.....

Wouldn't mind getting together with yourself & Clive for a bit of a fish at Nine Mile etc....Wahoo should be arriving soon...just waiting for my shoulder to heal from recent surgery...

Cheers....Tony