PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to do with fishing but I am a fisho

Almako
27-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Today I quit my very reliable reasonably paid key account manager job, and will be starting an apprenticeship as a carpenter.

It's a big bold move but feel that it's where I need to be.
Just hope I can still get out on the water once in a while, and no the boat's not for sale :)

Andy H
27-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Good luck brother. It can be a tough gig at times. I don't think I'd last if I went back on the tools. I do miss the social interaction on site though, it's a good laugh at times. I don't miss the heat at all.

Shark Poker
27-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Why don't you become an apprentice hairdresser?
Stay in the air conditioning, out of the sun, dress well, hang out and talk with women all day. Think of the conversation skills and interaction you could develop.
As opposed to working with blokes on a work site all day...

Just a suggestion, mate.

Almako
27-09-2013, 05:21 PM
lol hairdressing sounds like fun, not.

FisHard
27-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Good on you mate. Im guessing this is a passion of yours, and congratulations on following your dream!

Muddy Toes
27-09-2013, 08:39 PM
I wish you all the best Al!!!!!!

My time in the comfort zone is coming to an end soon too so I'll be leaping head first in to the unknown too. Good luck and keep us posted............

Mister
27-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Might be a few "deckies" coming onto the market then?

cobiaman
27-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Might be a few "deckies" coming onto the market then?

None as experienced as you almighty butterfly whisperer......

Mister
27-09-2013, 09:01 PM
We'll have a talk at the swains one of these days ... when and if you ever get there but i'm not holding my breath for that one, lot of talk but not much else :)

cobiaman
27-09-2013, 09:15 PM
We'll have a talk at the swains one of these days ... when and if you ever get there but i'm not holding my breath for that one, lot of talk but not much else :)

I truly hope so....

Shark Poker
27-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Almako,
When I made my little joke earlier I forgot how I put myself thru a career change as well, in not very easy terms.
It took a lot longer than I ever expected, but finally looking back it was worth every minute.
Best of luck.
Pauly

Still_Dreamin
28-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Wish I had the contacts to get an apprenticeship. Been dreaming of being an electrical apprentice. Just need Campbell Newman to tap me on the shoulder.....

lukhaus
28-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Hairdressing is an amazing Trade if your'e a guy. Just saying

Prowl n Wolf
28-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Well done mate. Ironic that 3 months ago I quit after 26 years of being a chippy to pursue buying a bakery of all things! Good luck with it.

Almako
28-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Prowl n wolf congrats on the change hope the bakery is working out.

MrNanks
28-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Great gutsy but exciting move.

I had always been involved in engineering supplies sales after I finished my fitting apprenticeship and hated who I worked for.
I had no clue about anything electrical and now I find my self selling electrical maintenance programs to massive construction companies, high rise buildings sporting stadiums and shopping centres.
After a year and a half I can honestly say it is the best move I have ever made and I have been in the workforce for 30 years.
My boss is the best ever, fantastic team and support network around me and we have a crap load of laughs.
They sent me to the USA for 2 weeks training and am getting a trip back at a sales presentation.
I really went out of my comfort zone and that was daunting but exciting.
Creating things with your own hands is satisfying , eve if they are for someone else.
Best of luck mate.