PDA

View Full Version : Transducer which side

james norton
26-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi Every one just wondering which side to mount my transducers my motor turns clockwise I think so do the transducers go on the starboard side ???
I need to find this out so I'm going to put a s/s scoop the opposite side any help would be great thanks

LittleSkipper
26-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi Every one just wondering which side to mount my transducers my motor turns clockwise I think so do the transducers go on the starboard side ???
I need to find this out so I'm going to put a s/s scoop the opposite side any help would be great thanks

Gidday James

Mine is mounted on the R/H side, as far as I'm aware they are usually mounted on this side but I guess they can be mounted on the L/H side if required.

captain rednut
26-09-2013, 08:24 PM
makes no difference in forward and reverse it wont read no matter which side its on.
cheers cr

lucee81
26-09-2013, 08:30 PM
makes no difference in forward and reverse it wont read no matter which side its on.
cheers cr

Why is that?

Darren Mc
26-09-2013, 10:10 PM
As far as i'm aware, if you had a counter rotating prop for some strange reason you would put the transducer on the port side. Therefore if your prop rotates clockwise then you put it on the starboard side.

PixieAU
26-09-2013, 10:13 PM
i would have thought most would be on r/h side being the closest to most controls (at the wheel)

solemandownunder
27-09-2013, 05:36 AM
I have 3 units, 1 x Lowrance and 2 x Hummingbirds with transducers mounted I x Port and 2 x Starboard...NO probs at all.

The Lowrance is a high speed unit ie: will still read at max speed....the other 2 read spasmodically, but read fine when under 6 knots.

These are on a 16ft deHavilland tinny with 60hp Jonno....as I say, NO probs.

Cheers, Ray.

Chimo
27-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Instructions (P66) say stbd side with "normal" ie non counter rotating props.

Cheers
Chimo

swof63
27-09-2013, 06:11 PM
I think the theory goes that with a right-hand ( normal) prop, the disturbed water is pushed down and away from the hull on the starboard side whereas on the port side it is pushed up and towards the hull.

Putting the transducer on the starboard side is supposed to reduce surface clutter/interference. Sounds feasible.

Cheers,

Allycan
27-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Also most boarding ladders are located on the port side so mounting the tranny on the stbd side will minimise touching bottom when on the beach as you don't want to do damage to the surface of your tranny

Mister
27-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Yes ........

james norton
27-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the answers the starboard side it is

bigjimg
28-09-2013, 06:14 PM
You will find that it doesn't matter.I have a 600w mounted on the starboard side (transom mounted) and a 1Kw thru hull on the port side.I have rooted around with the 600w in every conceivable position and it won't read at speed.The thru hull is mounted around 250mm from the transom port side and reads perfect at WOT. Your prop is pulling itself through the water there is nothing moving ahead of it. Water coming off the hull is the same both sides. The most important thing to get right is to place it off to the side of your strakes. Jim.

royslaven
28-09-2013, 06:36 PM
I have had them mounted on two boats i owned on the port side , with both working perfectly, cheers , roy

james norton
29-09-2013, 08:02 PM
How bout the guys with thru the hull do you think if I fitted like a tilt thru the b60 would preform better than a transom mounted transducer;D

Mike Delisser
29-09-2013, 08:42 PM
I think the theory goes that with a right-hand ( normal) prop, the disturbed water is pushed down and away from the hull on the starboard side whereas on the port side it is pushed up and towards the hull.

Putting the transducer on the starboard side is supposed to reduce surface clutter/interference. Sounds feasible.

Cheers,

Spot on, they work best in clear water. I do know plenty of guys with their trannies mounted on the port without a problem, and a few who needed to move them from port over to starboard after issues. Starboard is the safe bet, that's the what the manufactures recommend.
Cheers

Mattya
29-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Just whilst we're on this. If you make an imaginary line off the bottom of the hull, how deep past this should the transducer sit? Is it ok to have it completely submerged like a little torpedo off the transom. I know it's at risk of debris strike, but mine has trouble reading at any speed above trolling.