PDA

View Full Version : Taking the tinny to NSW, what do I need?

winston
26-09-2013, 01:34 PM
I am planning to go to Iluka for a few days and was wondering what is different in NSW to Qld. I think I need lifejackets on at all times as my boat is 4.27m but what else? Thanks in advance, cheers Winston.

ozynorts
26-09-2013, 01:35 PM
A fishing licence also mate.

netmaker
26-09-2013, 01:54 PM
a liberal dose of sympathy whenever state of origin is discussed;)

cormorant
26-09-2013, 02:28 PM
What you need to know- much simpler and with less red tape in your home state.

Being holiday season you will probably get inspected. Yes police down here can be tough on loose thing in trailer boats being towed , lights on trailers and make sure your nav lights are compliant and working and they love the capacity sticker warning.
Unfortunately we have a special sort of scumbag in NSW that thieves of visiting boats so take some care with what you leave about the place and bring your trailer lock etc etc. Please if you catch them give them a absolute hiding

Not sure if VMR is recriprical but check what is and isn't considered ecnclosed waters and a bar

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/licence-fee

If you are crabbing check your gear complies and check out any green zones in the areas you will be visiting

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/lifejackets.html

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/safety_equipment.html

Bar cam

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/webcams/iluka/index.html

Kato77
26-09-2013, 02:44 PM
got your passport??

Argle
26-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Had all your shots?

Charlie
26-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Its a big river checkout the online map or buy one. www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/maps/clarence_front.pdf.
Lifejackets if your alone or after dark, capacity sticker and one meter light pole are their main beef at the moment, other than that the rules are fairly similar.
No need for the VMR as we have Marine Rescue on the job for free.

Moonlighter
26-09-2013, 08:58 PM
We were at Iluka a couple of weeks ago and got checked by water police.

We were OK, but were surprised by the requirement to have a floating torch on board AT ALL TIMES, not just after dark.

This differs from Qld in that here, you jist need a signalling device, and a cyalume stick, or other light meets the requirements.

They wanted to see lifejackets, flares, V sheet and all the other usual items.

Oh, and leave your cast net at home. Even being in possession of one in the boat or car is illegal.

grumpy santa
26-09-2013, 10:34 PM
G'day Winston,
Besides the info supplied by the above members, there are a heap of other gear and regulations that apply. Some seem too bazaar to be believed but a kind hearted boating patrol guy down at Forster/Tuncurry put me right. As a parting gesture of friendliness and good will, he told me and my mate to 'P*ss off and don't try to launch again til we got the f#*king boat organised properly'.

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/safety_equipment.html

The link above is for the NSW maritime. Read it cover to cover because all the relevent info for e.g. life jackets is spread amongst a number of sub headings in different places.

Some of the highlights are:
You need the usual life jackets per person but, if you are boating solo, you need to be wearing it at all times. If you are solo + 1 or more you don't.
After dark, everyone on board needs to be wearing theirs at all times. You also need to be wearing one if you're wearing waders in the water would you believe.
You don't need a bucket for bailing if you have a bilge pump but you do need one with a lanyard for fire fighting.
You also need a fire extinguisher for all vesselswith electric start, electric motors, battery, gas or fuel stoves (and lights) just in case the bucket catches fire.
You'll need a whistle, bell or horn that can produce a sound signal. I don't know why. Having a QLD rego is usually enough to get a visit from the boating patrol.
And don't forget the water proof floating torch mentioned by moonlighter. It is to be carried at all times. It's also recommended that you carry a spare battery.
How about a second water proof floating torch so you can find the spare battery for the first one in the dark?

And they say Queensland's a nanny state.

I have a dedicated 15L bucket with a lanyard filled with the necessary NSW maritime crap for the times I venture into the football loser centre of Australia.

I'll be down in Iluka during 12th-19th October with a bunch of mates. Please don't catch all the Jew before I get there.

cormorant
26-09-2013, 11:01 PM
" And don't forget the water proof floating torch mentioned by moonlighter. It is to be carried at all times. It's also recommended that you carry a spare battery.
How about a second water proof floating torch so you can find the spare battery for the first one in the dark?"

I warn ya - don't let em catch you with non working equipment- as bad as not having it at all. keep it and spare flares out of sight and yep they do check dates on inflatable jackets and fire extinguishers tuck your shirt in and socks up .

We are the nanny state and that it a title even we can't lose it seems .

morphias
27-09-2013, 07:33 AM
a liberal dose of sympathy whenever state of origin is discussed;)

Just tell 'em to call the NSW Origin Support Line on 1800 808 080

Fed
27-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Be aware the pub floor is on a slope so if you're feeling a bit 'off' it's not you.

aussiebasser
27-09-2013, 09:03 AM
We were OK, but were surprised by the requirement to have a floating torch on board AT ALL TIMES, not just after dark.

This law in NSW and Victoria has made the Dolphin torch the biggest selling flashlight in the known universe, and two unknown universes.

Noelm
27-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I have very rarely been checked by any authorities, in fact I can only remember tow occasions of ever being checked, once at Narooma in my tinnie, and once at Shellharbour when the Police, Fisheries and Maritime were all set up doing a full inspection of everything you could think of, and that is over decades of boating, so, maybe they lurk around holiday locations or something to 'pick on" tourists who may just not have everything required.

Noelm
27-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Even though I do have a torch, I couldn't find where the rule book says you need I regardless of the time of day, but then, the way the books are worded, you need to be a Barrister to make full sense of it.

winston
27-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Thankyou guys for the replies, the cast net, I had forgotten about that one. Anyway I have booked in for my shots, updated my passport and taken any state of origin gear off the boat. Cheers Winston.

mattooty
27-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Make sure you remember your sense of humor because our maritime rules are a joke.

theoldlegend
27-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Yeah, don't forget the floating torch. My mate got chatted about that one.

TOL

Moonlighter
27-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Even though I do have a torch, I couldn't find where the rule book says you need I regardless of the time of day, but then, the way the books are worded, you need to be a Barrister to make full sense of it.

Here it is Noel:

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/other_equipment.html

"Waterproof floating torch

A floating waterproof torch must be carried on all vessels at all times. A torch is a valuable safety device for signalling, for use as a navigation light on small vessels at night and when working on the engine.

Spare bulbs and batteries should be carried."