PDA

View Full Version : a bit of a waste of money

randell
26-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Hi Guys,
Saw this in the Sunshine Coast Daily this morning..........
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/couple-winched-safety-after-boat-runs-aground/2031611/

Pity they didn't check the tide tables before their trip.
And if they had to pay the costs, they would simply have to just wait for the tide to come in, like people have done for years...............

I know it happens regularly in Great Sandy Strait
randell

lethal098
26-09-2013, 07:42 AM
What a waste of resources, unless it was a real emergency,

they werent in danger if the boat wasnt damaged,

Jeremy
26-09-2013, 07:53 AM
What is more is that apparently they were a 'local couple'. Should know better and only 3 hours to wait for dawn and tide to rise. That is not an emergency and they should be charged costs for the 'rescue'

cormorant
26-09-2013, 08:43 AM
What the hell - no radio or phone contact made??? may be more to the story with medicines or something required but does make you wonder.

tunaticer
26-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Send them the bill along with a can of bushmans so next time they can wait it out.

liltuffy
26-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Grave and imminent danger is the Motto as far as I'm concerned with EPIRB's

Darren Mc
26-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Sorry, but unless somebody did need some special medicine urgently or someone was hurt badly that was not the kind of situation that anyone with any common sense would use their epirb for. They should receive a good talking to by the authorities for that one.

Sheik
26-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Send them the bill along with a can of bushmans so next time they can wait it out.
and a teaspoon of cement (with caveats in place as already mentioned by others)

Almako
26-09-2013, 07:26 PM
wander were they were to run out of water

Chamelion
26-09-2013, 07:50 PM
wander were they were to run out of water

Probably hit fraser island.. lol

WalrusLike
27-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Were they maybe in surf and getting pounded?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Apollo
27-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Something doesn't ring right here. Must be more to the story than what is reported. Yes plenty of spots to run aground there on a dropping tide. Don't call it the great sandy straits for nothing.

Jarrah Jack
27-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Should be made to spend a week listening to Sat Nav's lectures.

gazza2006au
27-09-2013, 10:30 AM
guys they didnt know where they were are u going to dial 000 and say errrr i dont know where we are come pick us up?! common sense set off the epirb, rescue services know exactly where u are and they did run a ground they possibly assumed the worse they had a hole in the boat and best thing to do is call for help now and not in 3 hours when your floating off after the boat sinks to god knows where

Jeremy
27-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Why the hell DIDN'T they know where they were? Surely got a torch on board and could have signalled to a rescue boat in the general area if they had made a call. Report says they hit a sand bank mate - hole in the boat??? floating off to god knows where??? Nah, still makes no sense.

CruiserV8100
27-09-2013, 11:08 AM
GPS are an amazing thing in keeping you on the right track. Court ordered community service to volunteer for VMR for the idiots that have no clue on what boating safety is when you are rescued under lack of experience circumstances. Lets see them sit their and man the radios and go out on rescues and get a first hand insight into what our rescue crews really do. Than maybe people might understand what preparations precautions and knowledge it takes be a competent skipper.

cormorant
27-09-2013, 01:26 PM
guys they didnt know where they were are u going to dial 000 and say errrr i dont know where we are come pick us up?! common sense set off the epirb, rescue services know exactly where u are and they did run a ground they possibly assumed the worse they had a hole in the boat and best thing to do is call for help now and not in 3 hours when your floating off after the boat sinks to god knows where

gazza my thoughts are that unless you are in imminent danger you don't set off a epirb. You try all other things first. If you have a radio you call up, if you have a phone in range you call OOO. That way the police know you exact condition. They can then choose to tell you , flash torch, let off flare, whistle or eventually let off a epirb to determine your position and they can direct boats close to you or to keep a lookout for you etc etc I would hate to ever see the circumstances where someone missed out on a full AMSA helicopter rescue because the helicopter was being used where it wasn't necessary. Don't know the circumstances and they may have been dire in this case but a EPIRB isn't for calling for a tow or a lift unless no other options exist and you are in imminent danger- it's a last resort . Good on them for having a epirb and knowing how to use it but............

I hope in the future drones may be able to be used initially to ensure right resources are sent or even to drop radio so communications and the exact type of emergency can be determined.

gazza2006au
27-09-2013, 04:42 PM
i dont care if people dislike my first post, as a teenager i had a tinny with a few mates on board and i done exactly as these guys i smacked into a sand bank dented the bottom of the hull and started leaking water we were a good 30-40mins away from the ramp, lucky for us it was day time and i could actually see where i was

i personally think if your in any distress situation use anything u have to get help strait away because if u dont and it gets worse your going to think .... why didnt i do it earlier!

just because a helicopter was set out maybe not what the people expected but its a resource that was used it was probably the best in this situation with FLIR to find the people quickly

can u imagine if some how these people died by head injury or something alike i reckon u lot would have been saying bloody idiots why not set off the epirb

cobiaman
27-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Should be made to spend a week listening to Sat Nav's lectures.

Your a cruel man terry!

randell
27-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Yes we don't know the exact circumstances, sounds a lot like an all nighter......

Anyway I see the SLSC association are experimenting with drones to patrol distant beaches in Qld.

--------------------------------------
I hope in the future drones may be able to be used initially to ensure right resources are sent or ev
en to drop radio so communications and the exact type of emergency can be determined.
---------------------------------------

Guess they learned a lesson.
randell

SatNav
27-09-2013, 08:29 PM
1. Well what can I say, typical incompetence, simply a waste of resources, no excuses with this one, send them the full bill.

WalrusLike
28-09-2013, 06:53 AM
We do not know the circumstances....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FishHunter
28-09-2013, 03:39 PM
We do not know the circumstances....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Send them the bill anyway for running aground