PDA

View Full Version : Salt crystals on engine block- Should I be concerned?

Lucky 1
23-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi all

When I opened up the engine cowling the other day I noticed these salt crystals on the lower cylinder heads. Should this be something I should be immediately concerned about, or should I wait until the regular service in January? I have attached some photos, it appears as it is leaking through the gasket, however I could be wrong. fyi it is a 2 stroke 150hp 2001 Yammy. She is running well atm. I have cleaned it up with water and Innox for the moment.

bigpat
24-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Mate, I would just put a spanner on all of them to give them a little nip, and see if that particular one is loose. If unsure, then just take it down to your mechanic for a quick look and opinion....

Malcolm W
24-09-2013, 10:30 AM
The top bolt is a cylinder head bolt, not sure if the leak has started there or the cylinder head cover gasket has leaked and sprayed up onto that bolt. I would say it's ok to use short term like that, but as Pat said get it looked at. It may be as simple as replacing the gasket on the head cover, that's the easy one.

If you do try and tighten the bolts Yamaha have the sequence marked on the head and cover. The torque for the cover is 8 n.m and the head is 30 n.m.

My 2003 115 was overheating and when I pulled both heads off the galleries were both pretty clogged. If you start taking the head cover or the head has to come off it may pay to take both sides apart, clean the galleries and put new gaskets on. It's not a huge job on a 2 stroke. That should see you good for another 10+ years.

Lucky 1
24-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks for your response gents. I will keep an eye on it and take it to the mechanic a little sooner rather than later. I have done some big k's on it lately (Fitzroy reef twice) and I hope to take the family to Wathumba next week to watch a few whales. Has anybody else had this happen to them? I forgot to mention it is happening on both sides.

Micadogs
25-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm no expert, suspect it is just from condensation then salt sticking to slightly wet bits. Just built up over time to form crystals. Doubt it has come from inside. Bolts seem to be the cause, and dripping from there. They probably take longer to cool, getting a little bit more heat from inside.

Cheers Adam

burleygu
26-09-2013, 11:41 PM
replace your gaskets and head gaskets, If they are leaking to the outside every chance they will be leaking to the inside. I just did mine and I was getting water into the left bank of cylinders.

Chamelion
27-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks for your response gents. I will keep an eye on it and take it to the mechanic a little sooner rather than later. I have done some big k's on it lately (Fitzroy reef twice) and I hope to take the family to Wathumba next week to watch a few whales. Has anybody else had this happen to them? I forgot to mention it is happening on both sides.

No need to go all the way to wathumba at the moment, unless it's all changed in the last week. I've been taking my family to arch cliffs in my 4.1m tinny and watching them there.

Lucky 1
27-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks Adam- you might have a valid point there, I recently added trim tabs to the boat and had to place them at the minimum distance to the centreline due to various issues. They do create a bit of spray. Burleygu- The motor is running like a dream so I dont think their is any internal water infiltration at this stage, however to be safe I have decided to bail from the Wathumba trip and go boat camping closer to home (Tipplers) I can duck out and show the family some whales if I need to. Wathumba is still on the bucket list next year however!

Chamelion
27-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I've taken my 4.1m tinny to wathumba no worries on a nice day.. just saying. :)