PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Bowen

juliandm
23-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice about fishing in Bowen. I'm going to be visiting for a couple of weeks In October.

Does anyone know any good land based spots for casting some poppers or ballooning/sliding out a live bait? Is there much out there from shore that'll take bigger baits/lures?

Also, my friend has a tiny little 4hp tinnie that he uses for mudcrabbing that I can use so I guess if we have some settled weather if there is any reef close to shore to try trolling with lures or casting poppers if we could get to that would be good to know!

Also, night fishing off the beach, is this safe/productive or are crocs too much of a worry? Haven't seen a croc for a while in the UK so not really sure what's the deal over in NQ.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Julian

Allycan
26-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Yeah mate for shore based there is a public wharf at the bottom of the main street right in front of the Grand view hotel there are good jacks, fingermark bream and pelagics off the wharf don't forget taking plenty of bait jigs down there and have a look what the locals are up to. If you get out on the small boat there is the boat harbour fish around the empty piles up the back of the harbour near the entrance to the town creek or if the weather is good launch at greys bay ramp and try fishing just east of enamika rock that sits just off the point there it's about 300m from shore and has a beacon on it most guys troll east of the rock for Spanish mackerel or just anchor up and try floating out pillies or livies which you can find there sometimes
Good Luck
Mark

juliandm
05-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Thanks mate! Is it worth ballooning out a livie off the headland there if the weather isn't great? The jetty is a long old walk from where I'm staying which is near horseshoe bay but hopefully it'll be worth the walk.

Do you know what the creek fishing is like around the mouth of sandhills creek?