PDA

View Full Version : Please help me solve this - Mercury 2 stroke 150 EFI alarm

grumpysmurf
22-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Unknown alarm on 150hp EFI (1998) Mercury 2 Stroke

I'm trying to work out what alarm this is. It is BEEEEP BEEEEP each about 1 second long. I have tested the oil reservoir (which is full) and that alarm is BIPBIPBIP (very fast and short). Have also tested the internal fuel filter which is also BIPBIPBIP.

This video was shot when the engine is cold as shown by the temp gauge. Alarm is sounding even before the engine starts.

I have searched previous posts but none are exactly as I describe this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hMic9Ri0A&feature=youtu.be

Spaniard_King
22-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Oil bottle empty alarm, the float has come off the sensor arm . Common on mercs

PixieAU
22-09-2013, 08:58 PM
i had a Merc and the sensor in the reservoir had given up (gave the same alarm). took it out of the bottoleand put it back and it was fine after that. might have been sticking or something but i didn't need to replace it

grumpysmurf
01-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Bloody hell! After spending about 8 hours all up, reading, researching on the net. All points to the oil alarm. So, I spent a good 6 hours checking and double checking myself - it can't be the oil alarm as that seems to be working. So it must be the temperature sensor, but that is also working. Triple checked everything and more research. I was about to give up and call up the mechanic.

Then I thought, stuff it. If everything was working, and the alarm is still going off, I may cut the damn alarm siren and shut it up. If I blow up the engine, then the other half would have to approve a new four stroke!

So, I stuck my finger on the alarm siren to make sure that is the siren to cut - BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP! Just as loud as ever. WTF!?

It turned out to be the Navman Fuel Flow meter warning me I had less than 30 litres of fuel left!

Arrrrgh!! Lesson learnt (again). Don't assume anything!

Noelm
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
haha, now that's funny, well, it is now you know what it is!

Spaniard_King
01-10-2013, 04:32 PM
I got some stories on those navman alarms.

had a customer with a Honda who thought he had water in his fuel (alarm sounding) went for a swim beside engine to empty water from alarm.... no water in alarm. Still went fishing for a days trolling.. alarm drove them crazy... forgot to add fuel to navman :0 :) :)

burleygu
01-10-2013, 05:01 PM
I have a 1990 150 mariner/merc Unsure if it is the same or would even relate to your engine But mine also has a oil pump drive sensor which is a small magnet in the oil pump drive shaft and if the drive shaft stops spinning it sets the alarm off as a beep beep beep beep beep beep constantly. I believe this alarm was there because the oil pump drive gear was plastic in the era of motors. Not sure if it relates to yours but something to look at if it does!