PDA

View Full Version : Riverfire 2013

pommo
22-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Hey guys,,

We got a water pass to the riverfire 2013 this year and the Wife is keen to go,,,, Just after some advice for what boat ramps to use??? I live North side and have a 5.3 cc, And what time should we be thinking of getting there?? Any help would be great ,,,

thanks

Paul

The-easyrider
22-09-2013, 08:34 AM
We went back a few years ago launched from Comslie about lunch time as we were advised to get there before 3 pm. This advice came from someone with a biggish sail boat, if I was to go again I would leave it a bit later as no issues anchoring smaller boats later in the day. Although a car park at the ramp might be harder to come by later.
Getting out after the event is bedlam with everyone charging back to the ramp at the same time. We were lucky as we were anchored around the Eagle st area and have 220 ponies so were able to beat most back to the ramp.
Cheers
Azza

lucee81
22-09-2013, 10:37 AM
what is this water pass you speak of? i haven't been on the boat for river fire but planned to this year my thoughts were to launch at whyte island and sit in the river somewhere? is this not a great idea?

IcyDuck
22-09-2013, 11:16 AM
We took our 5.5m glass boat to it about 4 years ago. We launched from the Brekky Creek ramp (the one across the road from Whitworths). It is not the best ramp, with no pontoon or beach, but had no problems and we were one of about only 6 who used it that night. We launched about 4pm and anchored at the Story Bridge end so we were in and out without any issues. You need a decent anchor to hold as well, as the current along with the silt bottom of the river makes it a bit tricky. As Azza mentioned, it is a mad scramble to get back to the ramp when it is all over with all sizes and speeds of boats coming from every direction. I reckon the city cats are the ones to really watch out for as they quick and very quite (especially at night) - gotta keep a watch over both shoulders as well as in front.

Lucee, the river is closed during the event between Mowbray Park and West End. You need to have got one of the permits to be able to enter the viewing area during that time (see link below for further details).

http://www.brisbanefestival.com.au/content/about-brisbane-festival/information-for-sunsuper-riverfire

Phil

Still_Dreamin
22-09-2013, 11:26 AM
You had to get a flag back in August. Only 100 this year, previous years there were 200.

pommo
22-09-2013, 05:34 PM
It's only a 100 boats this year,,, So would comslie be the better choice?? or maybe the breaky creek? Just want no issues,, just an easy enjoyable night,, My anchor holds my boat at curtains with the current,, should be enough I hope???

lucee81
22-09-2013, 05:51 PM
thankyou Icyduck for that info and sorry pommo if i have stolen your thread.

IcyDuck
23-09-2013, 07:05 PM
It's only a 100 boats this year,,, So would comslie be the better choice?? or maybe the breaky creek? Just want no issues,, just an easy enjoyable night,, My anchor holds my boat at curtains with the current,, should be enough I hope???

Should be a lot quieter with only 100. Comslie is definitely a better ramp but we had no problems at Breaky Creek and it is closer. There is no pontoon or beach at Breaky Creek so someone has to hold it off the ramp while you get the trailer. I had a couple of willing & able teenage deckies and that helped.

pommo
24-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Should be a lot quieter with only 100. Comslie is definitely a better ramp but we had no problems at Breaky Creek and it is closer. There is no pontoon or beach at Breaky Creek so someone has to hold it off the ramp while you get the trailer. I had a couple of willing & able teenage deckies and that helped.

Thanks Icyduck... And is the depth at Breaky Creek ok?

Paul

IcyDuck
24-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks Icyduck... And is the depth at Breaky Creek ok?

Paul
I haven't used that ramp for a while but no problems at the time. Just stick to the middle of the creek and take it easy - it's 6 knots anyway.