PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions about very old FG boat

jazzhunt
21-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Hi folks. We just bought our first boat a couple of weeks ago at a bargain price (by Perth standards!) and I've been doing a fair bit of research but I just wanted to get your thoughts about a couple of questions. The boat is an old (70's? early 80's?) 3.7 metre (12 foot) fibreglass dinghy that's been optimistically called a runabout because it's got a windscreen ::)The previous owner was a young guy who bought it from a mate with the idea of restoring it and quit half-way through. It originally had a old 15hp Yamaha that he took apart, scattered the pieces around his yard and left to rot. He replaced that with a new 9.9hp motor. Problem is he bought a tiller-only model and therefore ripped out all the forward control gear. I got all that gear but not attached. Should I stick with the tiller-steer for now or is there any sort of issue (control/visibility/ride/safety) that means I should be looking to swap (if I can) for a remote steer and convert it all back? The boat has no seats at all so I was planning front and rear benches that I may add a couple of cheap buckets onto. Given this old boat appears to be just solid glass (uncored?) should I consider a centre bench to add extra 'bracing' across the beam? Finally, and most frustrating, I simply cant decide whether I need to paint it. The paint (glass? Gelcoat?) is pretty faded and there is a big patch where the previous owner hit it with glass rubbing compound and all that really happened is that patch is now much chalkier-looking than the rest. I'm not too dismayed about painting it, if I have to, as I've got a bunch of leave coming up and I'm considering this a nice project with the aim of getting it back in the water for Christmas-ish. The thing is, everything I've been told to look for in old glass - chips, crazing, cracks etc - I cant find any evidence of, so I can't decide it it's worth the trouble and expense. I can handle most repairs and work myself, to one degree or another, but don't have the kind of income where I can hand it over to others to do. I'd appreciate any comments or insights. Thanks.

Swanie1975
22-09-2013, 10:10 AM
sounds interesting - can you put up any pics?
cheers ryan

jazzhunt
22-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Good point Ryan, I have added photos now. You can see the big patch on the starboard side where the previous owner used cutting compound.

FNQCairns
22-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Just use it, tiller steer on a 12 footer is a better drive than any other type, forget about redesigning or polishing until about the 50 hour on the water mark...see what you think then.The windscreen looks hard to see over/through and work past...I would remove it, use it for heaps of hours then decide what to do next.

TheRealAndy
23-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Just use it, tiller steer on a 12 footer is a better drive than any other type, forget about redesigning or polishing until about the 50 hour on the water mark...see what you think then.The windscreen looks hard to see over/through and work past...I would remove it, use it for heaps of hours then decide what to do next.

This guy gets it! Dont spend money on it, just use it. If the screen impedes you visibility, remove it.

Too often we see people spend thousands of dollars making these types of boats look like new. Then you want to upgrade and find you have spent thousands that you will never recover when you sell the boat.

Swanie1975
24-09-2013, 05:51 AM
If you have access to a buff and some mild compound try using it on the screen inside and out, mine old windscreen cleaned up awesome - a bit of time costs nothing and if the screens too far gone you can remove it. Sell the forward controls and recoup some dosh.

At the end of the day like others have said don't go throwing money at it just use it and enjoy it.

Cheers Ryan

lbger
24-09-2013, 01:11 PM
if the screen is old... take it off i spent heaps of time and money researching and trying all manner of things to try and clean my screen.. in the end i just got it replaced.. for my money though and you will agree in a few years your first boat is designed for you to work out what you want/dont want in your next boat.. Welcome to the "bring on another thousand" club mate... i couldnt live without one now..

jazzhunt
24-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys, you have made some good points. Ill just put in the water a few times, hopefully score some decent fish, and I will see how we go from there:-)