PDA

View Full Version : 1770 boat trailer repairs

outta line
20-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Hi wanting some help for a mate who broke a spring on the way into Agnes last night.. Where would be the closest place the dose trailer repairs . Cheers mick

FisHard
20-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Hi Mick,
I reckon if he had a chat to the guys at the boat storage in bicentennial Rd, they would steer him right. Not only are they into boats, but they also have an earthmoving business as well. No doubt they would know who could look after it.

shy guys
20-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Hey mate we were in the same boat at 1770 last Friday. We striped an axel 50km outa 1770. We tried everything only options to drive to bundy as there's a really good trailer spares shop there. We got axel 2 hubs springs and u bolts for $200. The guys a top bloke, shops called the trailer shop ph07 4152 0224 and it's 4 Lester st bunderberg .i was a 3 hour round trip from anges but we had to do it as no where else has anything. If your up there for a while I'm sure u could get it posted to you or the bait and tackle shop. Hope this helps mate

ShaneC
20-09-2013, 07:56 AM
What he said. I had a significant axle pickle last year and Trailer Shop in Bundy sorted it for me and was timely and reasonable with the bill....

ozynorts
20-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Have to agree with the comments above. Not much here in town. There is a price to pay for living in paradise

Noelm
20-09-2013, 09:47 AM
sounds like a business opportunity for someone who has the skills and a small workshop that could be a profitable sideline to their usual trade.

ozynorts
20-09-2013, 11:42 AM
The other thing you can do if you know exactly what you need, call the trailer shop and ask if they can send it up via agnes water express.

fishing111
20-09-2013, 01:28 PM
A little off topic but in the situation described above wouldn't Club Marine or who ever someone is insured with organize the towing to repairer?

lethal098
20-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Insurance doesnt cover mechanical failures,

Club Marine Assist is the exception of course, they would organise the tow, but then you have the hassle of picking up the trailer anyway, easier to just drive, pick up parts and replace it yourself,

cormorant
20-09-2013, 03:00 PM
What is with all the broken springs I am hearing of lately? Are they breaking at the eye or along the leaf and are they slipper jobs? I've seen a couple near the eye that looked quite new but were on left hand side overloaded trailers that were obviously getting every pothole, road edge but they should be so over engineered not to break there. Been years since I had a trailer where I had to take a spare spring , ubolts and that was for remote offroading

I hate when things go bang and take up fishing time. Hope it is a quick simple fix for ya.

Noelm
20-09-2013, 03:27 PM
It is a legacy of the cheap imported crap springs in use today, a "proper" spring will rust to bits before it ever broke, but unfortunately, quality springs cost a lot more than the off the shelf Chinese ones we see in use every day. I have a spring works near me, and I was in there the other day looking for springs for my trailer, and he showed me some examples of cheap springs, some were folded up like a pretzel, just from reversing up against a gutter, and the spring just rolls up. He did a pretty simple experiment while I was there, he got some material that his springs are made out of, and a piece of similar galvanised imported spring and put them together in his press, he bent them to a fair old "U" and released the press, the aussie one just sprung back, the cheap galvanised one, stayed bent! I might add, his springs for my trailer were $600, over the counter Galvanised Chinese springs are around $250, less than half price, so.... what do you think manufactures are going to use?

ShaneC
20-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Couldn't agree more Noel, I just picked up the springs for.the trailer I'm building. The cheap Chinese shit could be picked up with a finger and the Aussie stuff from Rogers you had to bend the knees for. Both had the same load rating. I think the road conditions have a bit to do with the dramas people encounter up that way.

outta line
24-09-2013, 06:56 AM
cheers to all who replied.... i got a phone call 6am friday morning asking if i knew any where. as i was heading to 1770 for a fish as well and was 1.5 hours from bundy thought we might have to pick some springs up for him there . got a call just as we were heading into bundy saying .he found a bloke in the industraial estate that would do the job over the weekend. they left the trailer with him and picked it up monday after the weekend of fishing out on the reefs .. cheers mick