PDA

View Full Version : pro's and cons boys

bobbyb
18-09-2013, 08:23 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/39-Riviera-Flybridge-Cruiser-/190901069143?pt=AU_Boats&hash=item2c72972557

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15234342&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

:)cheers.

oldie
18-09-2013, 08:34 PM
ones a True Bluewater Sports fisherman, ones a grandpa leisure cruiser!

The Granpa Cruiser is Obviously going to be slower but use less fuel and offer a cheaper big boat experience

the Riv will offer Quick crossings but at a cost fuel wise, thats just the start of it

oldie
18-09-2013, 08:35 PM
or should i say ones like something you'd write on a black board with while the other is something you'd put on a sandwich with ham and Tomato

Still_Dreamin
18-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Only about 140,000 cons for me! Both look nice. Something about the eBay one makes me think scam. Maybe the bad English not sure. Just a feeling.

bobbyb
18-09-2013, 08:44 PM
or should i say ones like something you'd write on a black board with while the other is something you'd put on a sandwich with ham and Tomato

please explain oldie. maybe a few to many drinks for me. cheers

Still_Dreamin
18-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Chalk and cheese............

bobbyb
18-09-2013, 08:50 PM
would't the blue seas handle much better in the rough being a displacement hull???

bobbyb
18-09-2013, 08:53 PM
so that's the only main difference . speed ?

oldie
18-09-2013, 08:54 PM
thats it It was a drunkn idiots way of saying chalk and cheese........

Still_Dreamin
18-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Aren't they both displacement hulls

oldie
18-09-2013, 08:56 PM
if its long range cruising on a budget the Blueseas is the boat and is a single screw so obviously less maintenance cost along the way but it will take a while to get there, if its trips to the shelf to chase Bluefin and Marlin then the Riv is the better option but you will be tearing up $50 notes along he way

bobbyb
18-09-2013, 09:03 PM
thats it It was a drunkn idiots way of saying chalk and cheese........

now I can relate to that......... all good

Noelm
19-09-2013, 08:18 AM
not too sure why you would be comparing these two boats, they are suited to entirely different applications, kind of like, a wheelbarrow or a ute! as far as fuel use goes, there is a lot to take into account, for a short "day" trip, the Riviera might use (say) 80l per hour but goes (say) 25Knots, so you go 25NM in one hour, the "slow boat uses (again, say) 15 Litres per hour, but only does 8 knots, so... to go that 25nm will take you three hors @ 15LPH get the idea? remember I just pulled those numbers out of my bum, but you, get the idea? one boat is a "cruiser" the other is a game boat, made to go fast, fish for a day, go home fast, tie up, have a beer and off home, the other is a long distance "stayer" you have you beer while still motoring along at a sedate pace. Neither boat (in a way) is interchangeable in their designed uses, of course you can fish from a cruiser, and you can "cruise" in a game boat, but the intended use is a long way apart.

Marlin_Mike
19-09-2013, 08:50 AM
The rig will cost a fortune in fuel to run her

Noelm
19-09-2013, 09:02 AM
The fuel burn is a big factor, but a far bigger cost is maintenance/upkeep

FisHard
19-09-2013, 09:35 AM
The fuel burn is a big factor, but a far bigger cost is maintenance/upkeep

Gotta agree with Noelm on this one! And I reckon the Riv would burn more than 80l per hour at 25 kts. But no matter how much fuel they burn, maintainence and upkeep is always more!!

Noelm
19-09-2013, 09:58 AM
yeah, the 80L was just a figure I pulled out of the air, it would be plenty more than that, you have to have owned one of those types of things to know about the upkeep, Marina fees, bottom painting and associated fees, service on two big ass motors, genset, refrigeration, plumbing, all sorts of 'stuff" needs constant care, and if the boat sits idle for long periods, then double those costs! running the thing will seem cheap by comparison.

spelchek
19-09-2013, 04:09 PM
About to (fingers crossed, touch wood etc) enter FB cruiser ownership myself - and have done the maths and prepared/budgeted for the expenses Noelm describes. Still sends a shudder down the spine when I read them all layed out in black and white like that :)

bobbyb
19-09-2013, 04:09 PM
yep thanks guys , I realize they are built for two different uses, butt could you just slow cruise in the riv for about the same fuel burn being a single diesel shaft drive

and know u have the speed up your sleeve if you need it. would the blue seas handle rough weather better being a coastal type cruiser than the riv ?

or would I just look like a silly old bugger putting around on a game boat.?

spelchek
19-09-2013, 04:12 PM
or would I just look like a silly old bugger putting around on a game boat.?

A bigger question would be - do you give a shit? :)

bobbyb
19-09-2013, 04:19 PM
just read the riviera add again properly............325 hp dieselsssss .......so 2 off....... so now i'm with you's....and I can't afford to run it at any speed.

sorry about the confusion.

myusernam
19-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I reckon the ford would be more like 10lph at 8 knots. Maintenance will consist of changeing the oil periodically. Slow boats are fine - you just set the autopilot and kick back. You can do things like head to your destination at night etc. troll the whole time.

The rivs cats are high revving engines that take lots of oil and quite a bit of maintenance compared to the naturally aspirated ford.

Both are glass hulls so i you are prepared to slip yourself the annual maintenance shouldn't be that bad. Mooring costs high though

deckie
19-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Squeezing in under 40ft should keep the berthing fees down to about $2600 a month in Sydney.
Would prefer Cummins.
Dont like the lil gin palace at all.

bobbyb
19-09-2013, 07:31 PM
gin palace. haha....I like it. that's the blue seas I take it ? do you know where that expression comes from?

spellcheck, I hope it comes together 4u.....what are you getting?.....any pic?

they may be chalk and cheese but there both good looking boats and I never get tired of looking at boats.

oldie
19-09-2013, 07:58 PM
I'd own the Blueseas it opens up thats once in a lifetime trip up or down the coast or across from QLD to Noumea etc I'd be taking it to the Mentawai in Indonesia ad hanging for 2 months!! i better get my hand off it :)

spelchek
19-09-2013, 09:05 PM
bobbyb - looking at 35 Rivs pretty seriously at present. One is looking pretty good but I'll wait to post pics until/if the deal is done so as not to jinx it.

Camhawk88
19-09-2013, 10:41 PM
There's no way you'd squeeze a carton in that tiny fridge on the Blue Seas. Therefor ya gotta go the Riv.;)

The Woo
21-09-2013, 10:52 PM
That Riv has been advertised forever. There must be something wrong with it, has some bad history, or a possible scam?

Also, a good Riv 39' in that generation usually lists for $250k to $350k..... so something is odd.

deckie
22-09-2013, 01:48 AM
That Riv has been advertised forever. There must be something wrong with it, has some bad history, or a possible scam?

Also, a good Riv 39' in that generation usually lists for $250k to $350k..... so something is odd.
Why would anyone try to sell a 150K+ item on EBay ? Hmmm no prizes for guessing.

325 HP Cat diesels - regularly serviced

Goingover seas so willing to reduced heavily

I could "regularly service" a 1972 Chrysler 50hp outboard...doesnt mean it has even been started or worked since 1973 though.
A 150K+ item why wouldnt you at least take the time to mention the donks are in good WORKING condition ? If all good you wouldnt even mention hours logged ?, not even mention happy to give an inspection ?

I make it a policy of not buying anything on Ebay for more then 100 bux.
I'd be guessing $100K + on motors just for starters.
Goingover seas are we ?...oh yeah right...and cant even be bothered to edit a typo for a 150K item ? or maybe just not up to speed with English language ?
Am i just a suspicious bastard ?...i just cant imagine ANYONE selling an item like that without even bothering to describe it in order to sell it, unless of course u are trying to sucker someone in and hoping for no recourse.

I'm thinking ...has sunk, motors are a corroded solid slab of unknown metallic like stuff, no generator, no books, stolen, pix are 5 yrs old, scam etc etc. Maybe its just me.

Noelm
23-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Not necessarily, that type of boat is hard to sell in these times, my nephew has been trying to sell a 38' mariner gameboat, with twin Cummins, including mooring, and has had 1 half ar$ed offer at 100K, not a lot of money for a BIG boat, it's a hard market out there at times. Make some enquiries about the boat, but, make sure you have your eyes open, and see how you go, looking and asking questions costs nothing.

deckie
23-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Not necessarily, that type of boat is hard to sell in these times, my nephew has been trying to sell a 38' mariner gameboat, with twin Cummins, including mooring, and has had 1 half ar$ed offer at 100K, not a lot of money for a BIG boat, it's a hard market out there at times. Make some enquiries about the boat, but, make sure you have your eyes open, and see how you go, looking and asking questions costs nothing.

Maybe i've just become one of those cynical suspicious types Noelm.
Or maybe i was born that way :P
When something looks cheap...you know the 100 cliche's and adages.

bobbyb
23-09-2013, 11:21 AM
the riv could be a scam, but surly no one would buy some thing for that sort of money with out even having a look at it.

a weekend at foster on the nsw coast.......... yep I could handle a bit of that research.........