PDA

View Full Version : Bar Crusher Boats

NothinSuss
16-09-2013, 03:28 PM
I have noticed all over australia that there are a lot of bar crusher boats for sale second hand, seemingly more commen than many other brands second hand on the market.

They usually have done low hours also.

Why are there so many for sale, they look like a good boat or are they not ?

Anyone who owns one or has owned one, can you tell me what you like and dont like.

Cheers

Crunchy
16-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Now Surtees have hit the market in a higher profile perhaps everyone is upgrading?

Moonlighter
16-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Nice one, Crunchy! I think you must be right, now that people are seeing the originals (Surtees), they no longer want to be seen in a copy! LOL!

Nuthinsuss: being serious for a moment, think it might be just one of those coincidences where more than usual numbers of one brand hits the market at the same time. I haven't heard of any issues with the BC's, the fact that there is quite a waiting list for new orders to be built suggests that is the case too.

Both BC and the original Surtees are pure fishing machines. No unnecessary frills and pretty stuff just for the sake of it. Sometimes I think blokes buy boats without consulting "The Admiral" who then says she wants more of a pretty thing with nice carpet, cushioning everywhere etc. So, that could be one reason why some come up for sale so early in their lives.

Need to define the purpose you want from your boat, and the criteria it has to meet. Get that approved by the Admiral! Then buy a boat that meets as many of those requirements as possible.

I am very happy with my Surtees. Punches well above its size from a ride and performance perspective, and has every fishing feature that I could ask for. Doesn't have any nasty handling characteristics, is predictable and everything is placed just nicely so it falls easily to hand.

matty o
16-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Come for a run with me bud, see what you think.
Love mine! Just wish I got the 680

wave dancer
16-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Moonlighter a bit off track here, but is that the same as cats ? I have one of the originals, heaps of copies and so called improvements around but one huge name has just shut its doors and GOOOONE. Is that due to lack of sales meaning no one wants them or they just aren't as good as the original concept of a cat. Now that will throw a CAT amongst the pigeons. LOL...

By the way have been looking at the Surtees and think they are an awesome bit of kit. One brand that would swing me back to a mono.

Cheers Mick

matty o
16-09-2013, 07:03 PM
May as well awnser it.

I've had mine now about 5 months, have just over 150 hours on it, so it's fair to say I've put more hours on it than what some people do a year.

I own a 610HT with a 150 etec, I drive it hard, and it loves it!

The boat is a pleasure to fish out of, heaps off storage, just a well thought out design without the crap.
I've had it in 25 knott winds, coped a few waves on the bow, and as scary as it was, didn't once feel like the boat was struggling.
Usually always sit on around 25 knotts outside, and the only time it bangs is when it doesn't come down flat and lands on a side.
I'm fitting trim tabs this week, so I will have a lot more control on those days the wind isn't playing the game.

It's no different to the whole plate vs glass argument, some boats arnt for everyone,
There are boats out there that are much better family boats than bar crushers,
But for me, and the Kind of fishing I do I love it!!!
When I upgrade it will be to a bigger Barcrusher!!

Everyone's different but,

Cheers Matt

Moonlighter
16-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Moonlighter a bit off track here, but is that the same as cats ? I have one of the originals, heaps of copies and so called improvements around but one huge name has just shut its doors and GOOOONE. Is that due to lack of sales meaning no one wants them or they just aren't as good as the original concept of a cat. Now that will throw a CAT amongst the pigeons. LOL...

By the way have been looking at the Surtees and think they are an awesome bit of kit. One brand that would swing me back to a mono.

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick

Don't want to derail the original post, but i think the Surtees/BC copy issue was a bit more than just the concept being copied, whereas I think the cats copied tH concept and made at least some subtle changes. The BCs, especially up until their latest series hulls, were pretty well identical to the Surtees.

Matty nailed it nicely with his post, they are both very effective fishing machines, which Surtees reinforce with their company motto "Built to fish".

I havent heard of anyone breaking either boat (except one BC that someone managed to wreck after being smashed on a bar crossing, but tha wasnt a construction fault,it was driver error), or having any kind of manufacturing related failure.

They seem to hold resale velue very well, too.

I am also in agreement with Matty even though mine is 5.5 vs his 6.1, they should all be fitted with trim tabs. They are a fairly deep V hull with high sides, so they do what all such ddep V hulls do, and thatis, they lean over into cross winds when underway. Tabs solves this issue. At the moment, i jusr move weight/crew members around to balance things up and get he riding flat, but I too am thinking seriously about retrofitting tabs to mine.

deckie
17-09-2013, 03:54 AM
bloop bloop friggin plop ploppity plop bloop :wut:

Prowl n Wolf
17-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Hey nothinsuss, I owned a bc 560c which I think is the 610c now. I had it for 2 years and put over 350 hours on it before buying 6.5m glass boat. The sound that deckie has described when the boat was at rest was the only thing I didn't like. They are a wonderful fishing platform.

wave dancer
17-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Matty and Moonlighter, thanks for your comments and input. I have no doubt that both boats are a great piece of kit. As Matty said everyone is different and the thing that I like and am looking for is something with a hardtop and fully enclosed cab.

Cheers Mick

NothinSuss
17-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the replies there fellas. Yeah next boat will be over the 640 mark, so a big bc or surtees is an option. Current boat is a 6m ocean cylinder cc, so I'm going to be hard to impress.

The BC and Surtees range appear to be good value for money, especially second hand. Will have to take one for a run to suss it out.

Cheers NS

Crunchy
17-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Saw a Surtees 6.7 centre consul with a 300HP on the back at Tanga's on Sunday....looked like a total speed weapon I tell ya! Must be build like a brick SH to be able to put that size motor on the back?? The strange thing was that it didn't look like a 6.7M boat, mine is 5.8 and it looked about the same length, does their numbering equate to the actual length???

NuthinSuss - I've heard those OC's run pretty good??

Luke G
17-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Saw a Surtees 6.7 centre consul with a 300HP on the back at Tanga's on Sunday....looked like a total speed weapon I tell ya! Must be build like a brick SH to be able to put that size motor on the back?? The strange thing was that it didn't look like a 6.7M boat, mine is 5.8 and it looked about the same length, does their numbering equate to the actual length???

NuthinSuss - I've heard those OC's run pretty good??

I pulled up next to a 670 bar crusher last year when i owned a 6m cc poly at the ramp and even my boat made his look small, both had 175 suzukis. Not sure how they measure them...

rosco1974
17-09-2013, 09:24 PM
I have one of the originals, heaps of copies and so called improvements around but one huge name has just shut its doors and GOOOONE. Is that due to lack of sales meaning no one wants them or they just aren't as good as the original concept of a cat.

Cheers Mick
mick a sharkcat and kevlacat is chalk and cheese,totally different designed boats....maybe you can tell me who had there doors open for the longest time sharkcat or kevlacat not including when sharkcat changed to noosacat..kevlacat had there doors open for nearly 30 yrs not sure on sharkcat maybe around the 20 years.. maybe that's saying something...If I was you maybe get a mono, you might have an idea of how to drive it properly then

Axl
17-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Im not sure how they are measured but they do seem small when you put them beside other boats 96418 5.2M Formosa beside a 5.5m Mclay which is a very similar design to the Surtees and the Bar Crusher I believe.

Crunchy
17-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Oh that's right I got their brochure, the small looking "6.7" CC is actually 6.840m

Seahuff
18-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Luke G
Interested to know how the 6m cc Poly performed

Luke G
18-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Luke G
Interested to know how the 6m cc Poly performed

You know what it was a great rig, I'll say it here that it rode great and would take anything you threw at it.

I had a 5.3 before this one, the 5.99 has a much deeper entry, higher freeboard and shearline. The chines are twice the size and did a great job of deflecting spray.

I took it out in port phillip bay several times and it ate the chop, the 175 suzuki would push it to about 35knots with a few people onboard. Cruise on 23ish knots at 4200rpm.

Even with 5 POB it still had heaps of room on board and was super stable.

I built it up to live abord for a few days in the top end of wa, had a bait station with an engel built in and tackle / rod storage. Fully enclosed console, additional live bait tanks, outriggers etc. I only sold it because I rarely used it in vic.

As I said earlier side by side at the ramp the poly was bigger then the 670 BC in every dimension, I've never been in one but it would not surprise me if the poly gave it a run for its money in the ride department. Its the only aleged '6.7'm boat I know of that can get away with a 150. Even my 5.5 origin axis has a 140 on her and it could handle more horses no stress. I can't belive they ask 80+K for them!

rodneyk
18-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies there fellas. Yeah next boat will be over the 640 mark, so a big bc or surtees is an option. Current boat is a 6m ocean cylinder cc, so I'm going to be hard to impress.

The BC and Surtees range appear to be good value for money, especially second hand. Will have to take one for a run to suss it out.

Cheers NS
Would be going for a run in one before giving the OC the coke and sarse wouldn't think they would be that much better just my thoughts Rod

Seahuff
18-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Luke,
Check your PM

Luke G
18-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Seahuff,

Got nothing mate you might have no room left to send anymore till you delete old pms.

fisho8
19-09-2013, 12:03 AM
I could start something here..... all I will say is I bought the real thing. I did not buy a imitation I know the full story with B/C and a few others. one thing I cannot stand people who try and imitate things for profit and steal the name to boot. I would put mine up against a B/C any day again as my boat blew the new 615 gen 2 HT off the water. Pics say it all if you want the real thing then I suggest you look at the real thing...Surtees all the way... 4th pic is me and one of the part owners of Surtees..I love the second Pic the real thing at the front the copy bringing up the rear...:thumbsup:

As for Measurements B/C measure there boats right to the front of the Bow Spirit surtees measure theirs to the nose of the bow this gives a correct measurement. I could go on but I have said enough lol.

NothinSuss
19-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Would be going for a run in one before giving the OC the coke and sarse wouldn't think they would be that much better just my thoughts Rod

The Ocean cylinder is going now where mate, will never sell it. It is a cracker. Bit of a boys boat though, centre rear console, 3/4 height storage and cast deck, carries 330L of fuel. It was built to fish the NT's vast coastline and rivers. Which it does on it's ear.

I'm now after a Bigger "family" boat, so looking into my options for a forward cab style fishing/family vessel.

If I had the $ i'd get Yamba to build me a bigger OC with forward cab, just noticed the amount of Bar cruchers around for sale and resonably priced. So thought they might be worth a look. Looks like everyone is leaning towards the surtees, we have a surtess dealer in darwin so might go check them out.

wave dancer
19-09-2013, 03:04 PM
fish08 : That's a very valid point about the difference in measurements. I see it as nothing but a marketing ploy but the real scary thing about it is some owners are actually convinced and believe that their boat is bigger than what it really is. IMO they should all be measured in ACTUAL hull length. Time and time again you see boats advertised by their owners as for example 7.5m and then you look up the manufacturer's web site and it clearly states 6.5m. Big difference between as advertised 24.6 ft and the real length of 21.3 ft. If they really know their boat and are honest they should state LOA or advertise it as 6.5m or 21.3 ft. Who knows maybe they are just desperate for a sale. The two surtees boats that I am thinking about are the 7.3 gamefisher if not then the 6.7m fully enclosed.

Cheers Mick

rosco1974
19-09-2013, 05:16 PM
mick your clearly talking about kevlacats once again.you seem to be fixated on them ,or do you have a problem as I have one and you don't..its not a pissin contest,whatever floats your boat and does the job for you than so be it.as you know kevlacats are sold as a 2400 offshore they are a 6.5mtr hull with .5 mtr pods plus bowspirit so 7.32/24ft l.o.a or whatever it is. there is no hiding the fact and those who know the kevlacat boats realise that
what happened to the 34 ft mustang from the states you recon was going to be your next boat ...though you said you wouldn't spend 100k on a boat to put heeps of hrs on to sell at a loss more bullshit I guess. don't think you will get any of those surtees for under 100k...
cheers rosco

wave dancer
19-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Rosco you must be either paranoid or have a huge guilt complex. At no stage did I mention a particular brand of boat and the comment was directed at all manufacturers that use the same marketing ploy. There are heaps out there that include bow sprits and pods in their advertised length which in my opinion is wrong. Maybe you need to chill out, get off the drugs, give up the piss, or get some stress help. Try replying to the thread with something constructive and related to the topic or don't reply at all. If you would like to know why the change from a moored boat to a bigger trailer boat you have my number feel free to give me a call. By the way there is no pissin contest.

Cheers Mick

rosco1974
19-09-2013, 06:30 PM
mate for me it wouldn't be a barcrusher,been in one felt small for the size of the boat was a 6.2 or the new 6.7 ... but that's my opinion...surtees look like a nice boat but until I go for a run in one I will sit on the fence...no drugs,stress or even piss here mick I am just livin the dream.....

wave dancer
19-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Well said rosco. As you quoted more bullshit. Re: whats it worth 620 barcrusher 07 model

fellas the deal was done this arvo,cat will go to its new home next week when all the crap is settled..the new buyer is changing my and his furuno gear over at trymax at his exspence,full service of the yammie and new trailer tyre on his trailer by him...all in all didnt screw him just got a deal myself and new owner was happy with..prob ended up with a shade over 100k for the cat which is good money for them in this financial climate....good deal...only went to this tinny cause the drivers seat has a air bag under it .lol...thanks for the info took it all onboard...the cat will be used out of 1770 as this is where it will be stored...only thing i will do to the new boat is a hds 10 plotter and i will be happy as...oh and if i crack the shits with it i will swap marty for his cat...
cheers rosco
air time no more...might name it SORE ASS.lol

...only thing i will do to the new boat is a hds 10 plotter and i will be happy as...

hilta1
19-09-2013, 07:32 PM
And you reckon its not a pissin contest???????????????

wave dancer
19-09-2013, 08:08 PM
hilta 1 : If anyone is going to accuse someone of bullshitting they may want to check their own facts first. Secondly if you want to have a personal attack at someone at least send them a pm or if you have their number have the balls to call them. If someone wants to start slinging shit you have to be prepared to cop it back. As I said earlier their is no pissing contest, so I hope this answers your ????????????????????

hilta1
19-09-2013, 08:17 PM
:-X:-X:-X:-X

rosco1974
19-09-2013, 08:18 PM
good nite all tight lines

thelump
20-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Back on track now. Mate take a look at the extreme boats as well if you into the plate kiwi thing. Looked at them at the boat show and you would fit a 6.1 surtees or 640 barcrusher inside the 610 extreme. Much bigger boat! For the record on boat length my Yalta555 is an 18'boat. With pod and bowsprit it measures 20'overall. Are they a 20'boat? NO! But they are now being sold as the Fisherman 2000!!

FisHard
20-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Maybe boat manufacturers are measuring their rigs when they are erect? ;)

NothinSuss
20-09-2013, 07:50 AM
The Lump- yeah thanks mate will check out extreme boats.

Sounds a bit like my BC question has been distorted/hijacked. My advice when looking at a boat, take a tape measure with you and measure the thing yourself, all boat manufacturers these days tend to exaggerate.

Been looking at a few videos of Barcrucsher and Surtees boats underway, to be honest, I dont like the way they move. They pump out some serious water off the bow, looks like they would be super wet with small sea and breeze on the beam.

Crunchy
20-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Hijacking threads is a bit of a sport here on Ausfish

Muddy Toes
20-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Hijacking threads is a bit of a sport here on Ausfish sometimes.

So what does one do when his 750s claps out the night before?

Crunchy
20-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Go fishing on Ausfish of course, I noticed that Waver Damcer caught a nice Rosco, fed the bait out nicely at the 14's and got a solid bite when drifting into the 25's.

RayLamp
20-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Maybe boat manufacturers are measuring their rigs when they are erect? ;)

What - the boat, the tape measure, or them???