PDA

View Full Version : anchor help winch

seashawgal
16-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Could I get some opinions on 2 types of anchor winches.
Stress free approx $2000 + installation
Maxwell approx $1000 + installation
I understand installation entails quite a bit and can cost up to $1000.
The whole package is not cheap but the maxwell is $1000 cheaper and seems good?

I know about the cheaper rubber ball/float type thing but in the long rung I would really like a winch.

Thanks a lot
Rossy

bigpat
16-09-2013, 07:55 PM
If its between those 2 only, the Stress free, as its a drum winch, simple. No twist, and no damage to the rope that a windlass can do....

Just be wary of the free fall Stress Free, as I've heard of dramas with the clutches wearing in some cases.

In my opinion, $1000 to install an wire a winch is a bit rich, I would have thought $600-$700 max.

Other drum winch option are Savwinch, and Lone Star Marine. Both built in Victoria, and good reputations.

I have a 1000w Savwinch, and I couldn't be happier. Not as fast in retrieval as a Stress Free, about 30 seconds in 18 mtrs of water, but it is near silent and strong. I use 100 mtrs of 6mm braided rope, so good capacity.

Which ever way you go, a drum winch is a great addition. I still believe that alone is the best mod I've done to my boat so far......

ozscott
16-09-2013, 08:30 PM
I have the Maxwell HRC . Great unit. Iove mine and its a modern rope handler and with 8 plait is a gem.
Cheers

Aussie123
16-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Have a look at the Viper 800 or Viper 1500 drum winches.

overdraft
17-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Mate I had a maxwell and was perfect for anything up to about thirty meters deep, I wanted to start anchoring in deeper water so I had a Muir Free Fall Drum winch installed have had it now for two years and is my best investment ever, I don't know where you are based but the guy that installed mine is based halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. He does it from home and is very cheap PM me if you would like his details he can also source winches at a good price for you.
Danny