PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing grief

Oceanranger24
15-09-2013, 03:00 PM
My neighbour has a new four winns faaast boat... more like a ski boat, but still a boat. Last month he blew past me on the bay doing 65knots on a glassout from Tanga with the family aboard.

We both arrived at the colmslie ramp loaded and headed the 3km home.

Reversing his boat into the driveway one of the wheel bearings on his boat trailer had failed.

Only purchased new in February this year, it was sold and serviced by Springwood Marine and had its most recent service only a few weeks before the bearing failure.

To Springwood marines credit they have repaired the bearing under warrantee but their comments following the repair were a cause of grave concern for safety to the public and an incredibly unprofessional attitude.

At my prompting, I had told the neighbour to ask of Springwood Marine what service and preventative maintenance they will do for the wheel bearings to prevent a similar occurrence..

Their comment was ‘that the American bearings are junk’ and ‘we don’t do repairs unnecessarily’ and “to check the bearings are ok we put the wheel on a machine and if they spin ok then we don’t touch them.”

I was shocked and horrified.

I interpret that as:- go and use it, if - WHEN a wheel falls off it is now your problem, you will be paying for it in the future. As for us servicing the boat…. that will only include a spin of the wheel to see if it is still attached.:-?

Looks like we will be having a wheel bearing in-service in our street in the next week or so::).

How are we to rely on professionals….. DIY is the only option to be ultimately safe.

Phil

lucee81
15-09-2013, 03:35 PM
somewhat disgusting for a wheel bearing thats only 6 months old, and being driven a massive 3km at atime they wouldnt even heat up.
i would be looking at jap ones and changing them asap and doing it myself i havent changed my bearings in 18 months, have a new set in shed but haven't got around to changing them yet.

Justin Rossiter
15-09-2013, 04:05 PM
I went Japanese bearings and get my mechanic to examine and re-grease every service, worth the couple of extra $ for labour and my peace of mind !!!

WalrusLike
15-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't know which professionals to trust.

My trailer had a bearing collapse on its second or third use. It was a 4 month old trailer from a dealership.

I hear so many different opinions and methodologies and blasé 'don't worry' from the dealers.

In time I will learn to do them myself as I agree its the only way to be confident.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Hagar
15-09-2013, 08:00 PM
In my experience any bearing will last short tows like yours if it is properly greased with boating grease and more importantly the axle seal is of the right type and correctly fitted . Too many trailers have inadequate bearing seals . I would closely check this when you have the street bearing service day.

The bearings in my trailer are six years old and good as new .

Cheers Chris

20lbsnapper
15-09-2013, 09:58 PM
I think DIY is the best option here, how can you check if the bearing rollers are not rusty, pitted and worn without fully pulling the hub down. If the marnie prof was to do this for you it would be at a cost and at $80 to $100 an hour, it will add up, if DIY is not a option then request them to be pulled down.
As we all know once water gets in it rusts and compromise the bearing, look how quick a knife rusts if you don't wash it after fishing!
I use the dura hub set up and it has been reliable.

mutineer
15-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Have not changed my bearings for ten years , god knows how many kms, I reckon most failures might be due to not being the right size , mine are all oversized even on my box trailer,another would be wheel size small wheels more heat etc bla bla bla .I had 1 bearing collapse on the original alloy wheels so changed to larger axle, bearing size, larger diameter wheels and tyres and bearing buddies..and never had a problem since .

Does anyonehave a good reason why trailer makers practice the small wheel tiny bearing crap .how many boats with bent axles and blown bearings have you seen ...I have seen shiploads.
I have never bought a new trailer but have owned plenty ..seems silly they are like it or is it just my perception?

ShaneC
15-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Sorry but bearings are a part of maintenance. Four months is very poor for a new trailer at the same time if the seals are no good he's had a good run. It doesn't take much to check them....

bf90
16-09-2013, 05:36 AM
My box trailer has the original fj holden bearings when my dad had the trailer made some 60 years ago, every year at christmas the wheels come off and the bearings get a fresh drink of grease. As for my boat trailer, it is 3 years old and not a problem, have bearing buddys fitted and every second trip out each wheel gets a few pumps from the trusty old grease gun. Before the bearing buddys were fitted to another boat trailer I used to have that swam a lot :) I was lucky to get 3 months before the bearings would go into total melt down. Tight seals are the go along with bearing buddys. Cheers

seashawgal
16-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I think they made the tires smaller so it's easier to get the boat into the water (lower overall)
I have had axles and wheels upgraded on tinny trailers to tow through sand and launch from beaches. It's OK with tinnies as you can virtually pick up the boat due to lower weight, but with bigger boats obviously it has to be a synchronized combination.

mutineer
16-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Yer my big boat has 13s but you see plenty with smaller, even on mine ( haven't had it long )i will upgrade to bigger axles and wheels lift my guards and space accordingly , keeping boat same height.it's got bent axles on a near new trailer that is built for that boat size , I don't load boat with anything till the ramp ....never have .13s are too small for highway speeds with that weight / bearing size ....stupid .the cost is stuff all , why go through the pain of possible failure for a couple hundred bucks .40-50 ml solid axle cruiser size bearings , with ford stud pattern , 14 / 15 inch steelies ( stronger ) bearing buddies..and I won't have to touch it again.
Just did ex housemates the same ...cause of a piss poor tyre bearing combo .fixed the problem....anyways glad op got it fixed , but I fear it will just happen again

Crocodile
16-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Hello All,
that is a short life for bearings, but if they got salt water in them first time dunked then that is about right.
If the bearings have salt water mixed in the grease then they will deteriorate even when parked at home.
The mileage is low but if they are badly rusted then they will collapse before you get to the first corner.
The box trailer bearings last well because they don't get dunked in the salt water.
Regular maintenance with bearing buddies is what works for me.
Jack up the wheel, give it spin, listen for any rumbling is a quick and easy test, but it is no substitute for removal and inspection.
Checking/changing bearings is a dirty job, but someone has to do it!.
As for oversize bearings, I would like to know more because there is not much difference in size between Ford and Holden bearing sets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNKUCUx1g_k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQc9S06YRt0

mutineer
16-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Sorry when I said oversized it meant relevant to size ,I have 31s on my tinny with the 19 mm internal outside bearing / solid axle ..versus the original which was them stupid bearing in rim alloy junk , 16mm internal .you see on so many trailers mainly boats .as I said above I will be going landcruiser hubs again..15 inch tyres in my case I can put axle over sping to keep trailer at same hight and I got plenty room for guard lift , that's all for load rating ...nothing else , as for water ingress well well greased bearing buddies stop that 100. % I carry my grease gun with me and make sure they never get low ..I don't have my trailerin the water for long , and hot bearings backed straight in may cause issues ..but as I said before bigger bearings with a December load rating would be a big issue along with tyre diameter..bigger the better where possible.

Oceanranger24
17-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for all the great advice and comments, but maybe I should have posted this as.... 'what to do when the boat repair, mechanic whom is to service the trailer effectively abdicates responsibility." They are asked to service the boat and trailer. They look at the wheels.... yep still got 4 there. All good to go. Are we allowed to name and shame these unprofessional businesses because I think it is not only disgusting, but downright dangerous and can kill.
Phil

Moonlighter
17-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Phil

I guess you have to put this down to a lesson learned, and remember to specifically add "check and if necessary replace trailer wheel bearings" to the instructions given to your service centre, that is, if you dont want to/cant check and service them yourselves.

I would encourage all new boat owners to learn how to do this job, because then, if the worsst happens and you end up beside the road on the way home one day, you will be able to replace the bearings and get going agaian. It really is not that hard a job to do, once ypu are shown how. I was lucky that my Dad showed me, and also had mechanic mates who helped on occasions as well.

On any decent length trip, i also take a set that are already packed with grease and stored in a plastic zip-lock bag with me. With a spare split pin and dust cover. Makes for a quick change if necessary.

cormorant
17-09-2013, 05:49 PM
I cringe everytime I watch Utube and think some dealers probably learnt there as well with the short life some bearing have .

No problem here especially with those marine seals, bearing packing - oh hell I give up especially when these guys are headed at you at 120km/h!!!! There is so much wrong I won't even start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmyux3BbzcI&list=PLD1207EDC0118E522

Gon Fishun
17-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I cringe everytime I watch Utube and think some dealers probably learnt there as well with the short life some bearing have .

No problem here especially with those marine seals, bearing packing - oh hell I give up especially when these guys are headed at you at 120km/h!!!! There is so much wrong I won't even star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmyux3BbzcI&list=PLD1207EDC0118E522

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. That should be deleted. That bloke is an accident about to happen.

Mattya
17-09-2013, 06:53 PM
?WTF? "Just give the bearing a quick grease" in all my time as a mechanic I've never seen even the most dodgy apprentice do a bearing like that.
I'm close enough to the ramp that I just fill the hub, no dramas!

captain rednut
17-09-2013, 10:27 PM
hey oceanranger24 i think this guy in the video is related to the guy who did your mates bearings. that video should be deleted as its completely unsafe showing people those practices.
i liked the grass all through the grease and the split pin re-assembled a train smash.
he loves hes hammer.
CR

cormorant
18-09-2013, 02:08 PM
What harm can it do? bit of dirt, bit of cotton lint, bit of super glue . Only 11000 people have watched it , he has 355 clips of other things and heaps of followers waiting for his next gem of trailer maintenance. I can't find one that I know is loads worse from a few years back but it was even more scarey. To think 11000 people may use this as a guide is terrifying . Funny thing is that if he only read even the scant instructions that come with stuff he would be better off. I'm sure he got a lot of his knowledge of forums as see the same mistakes and myths repeated ad-nauseum. Never underestimate the mechanical inability of the general public and assume they have a clue. Wonder what his day job is?;D

Spaniard_King
18-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Super gluing the seal into the hub.... is that a new method ...LOL

WalrusLike
18-09-2013, 05:28 PM
SK is that meaning you think supaglue is a good or a bad idea?

I am a bloke who built his own shed, built his granny flat, can do simple mechanical maintenance on mowers etc and yet I am completely stumped by what is good or bad in this whole black art of bearings thing.

Normally that would just mean that I would have a expert do it for me, but I don't trust them at all after two bad experiences and having multiple professionals poo poo the work of others.

How the average joe sorts this out is beyond me.

Having said that.... I would be confident that SpaniardKing would do a good job.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

cormorant
18-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey walrus

The bloke in the video glued the rubber seal to the bearing - arghhhhh. No idea what he is thinking. . The rubber seal is supposed to be a tight fit on the axel ( but are a ones size fits all or fits none properly in reality;D) and that is where people who use those marine seals place glue to ensure they don't spin on the axel or move away from the hub and let water in. The rubber marine seal glued to the axel does not turn and seals against a polished stainless insert that is pressed into the back of the hub. The pressure of the seal lip against the inside of the ring keeps the grease in and dust and water out.

Best way to learn do bearings is to be shown by someone who has done heaps. There are heaps of little things and tricks that take a age to write down( learnt over years of experience) that a competent mechanic can notice straight off and correct them or understand what has gone on.

Spaniard_King
18-09-2013, 06:06 PM
WL

The rubber seal is suppose to remain stationary on the axle so why did he try to glue it to the bearing ??

lucee81
19-09-2013, 05:39 AM
He never did show how to pack a beating properly either, the grease has to get into the bearing not just the outside. The best method I had found for myself is putting grease onto my hand and swiping the bearing onto my hand until it fills up. Messy work, I wouldn't have thought just puttin grease onto the outside of the bearings would be enough to pack the bearing. (I may be wrong I'm not a mechanic)

Gon Fishun
19-09-2013, 07:09 AM
He never did show how to pack a beating properly either, the grease has to get into the bearing not just the outside. The best method I had found for myself is putting grease onto my hand and swiping the bearing onto my hand until it fills up. Messy work, I wouldn't have thought just puttin grease onto the outside of the bearings would be enough to pack the bearing. (I may be wrong I'm not a mechanic)

No, your not wrong. The way you did it is the correct way unless you have a bearing packer tool. ( I was a mechanic).

ronmac
19-09-2013, 10:19 AM
When replacing the bearing cones and seating them home use a brass dolly not a metal rod as the metal could shatter or chip the cones. Also glasses are a must. cheers Ron.

Crunchy
19-09-2013, 11:24 AM
BUGGER - your supposed to put grease in?

ronmac
19-09-2013, 11:28 AM
WL

The rubber seal is suppose to remain stationary on the axle so why did he try to glue it to the bearing ??

If the rubber seal remained stationary, There would be a gap between the rotating hub and the seal there fore major foul up. Also the seal is pressed into the rotating hub which turns, cheers Ron.

cormorant
19-09-2013, 11:41 AM
If the rubber seal remained stationary, There would be a gap between the rotating hub and the seal there fore major foul up. Also the seal is pressed into the rotating hub which turns, cheers Ron.

G'day

The marine seals are 2 parts.
1) stainless ring that gets pressed onto the rear of the hub
2) rubber seal that should remain stationary and be a tight fit on the axel. Many people glue it to the axel in the correct position after a test fit to ensure it remains in place and doesn't get pushed out by grease pressure from bearing buddies etc etc

So seal is solid and glued to axel and the polished ring is on the hub. Hub is full of grease with bearing loaded with grease. Wipe of grease around the lip of the seal and polished ring and push the hub on whilst turning it. It should seat and the seal should be firm mated up and flushish to the polished rim on the hub to prevent water and dirt getting in.

Many people have made up tubular spacers to fill the void from the axel spindle step down to correct position of the seal before glueing the rubber seal on it can't move away from the hub. Was done as seals are one size fits all but axels were many different designs and spacings from shoulder to where bearings seated and the seal needed to run.

It is the edge of the seal that seals against the inside of stainless ring in the hub.

In photo below - left rubber seal - stationary - glued to axel / spindle ( edit I had " hub " typed here before- thanks FED)
Right bit pressed into hub and spins with hub.

http://www.couplemate.com.au/marine_bearing_seal.jpg

That's it folks.

PS Crunchy::) - yep bugger , bugger and double bugger grease on the inside and the bearing but only if you want it to last.

Crunchy
19-09-2013, 01:01 PM
PS Crunchy::) - yep bugger , bugger and double bugger grease on the inside and the bearing but only if you want it to last.

Due to do again in five years so I will put some in then

Fed
19-09-2013, 01:10 PM
In photo below - left rubber seal - stationary - glued to hub.
That would be glued to axle.

I don't know where all this gluing came from, if there's space behind the seal then make a spacer.
Then a thin smear of sealant between the seal & the axle plus the same between the ss ring & the hub to stop any water sneaking in.

ps cormorant, I knew what you meant. ;)