PDA

View Full Version : are boats allowed access to beaches if no road access available e.g private property

ch1ppy
14-09-2013, 03:21 PM
I was told once upon a time that no body owns the beaches or at least the first 'X' amount of meters from high tide, apart from the crown i suppose.

i am wondering how true or false that might be, i cant find the information from google.

for example some people (farmers and such) own the land surrounding the beach and thereby the beach has no access by land or road to open the public. naturally they describe these beaches as private beaches and many can get down right nasty if they catch trespassers....but i am wondering if they have any right to stop anybody if they access the beach from the sea, e.g by boat?

just wondering because there are many such beaches around Kangaroo Island and many other coastal places/coves in SA and in fact around Australia of course..i know some people often talk about camping on the Islands (beaches for overnight fishing trips) that make up St Josephs bank islands in spencer gulf (SA) but i never hear about the Islands being private land, perhaps the Islands are crown land.

just wondering if one is allowed to anchor, get out, have a BBQ on the beach, fish or camp near the edge on the beach for overnight or to escape rough weather or even purely for recreation

cheers
chippy

SatNav
14-09-2013, 06:34 PM
1. As a general rule re your query, below Mean High Water is owned by the crown and above that where there is no legal access then it is under control of the property owner hence in most circumstances you are trespassing.

2. For all intent and purposes camping is out, edge of beach or otherwise, BBQ is not practical unless below MHW and depending on the legislation your are fairly well screwed.

3. Taking protection from rough weather can be one exception but I wouldn't suggest trying to take any advantage of this type of situation.

Tailortaker
14-09-2013, 07:23 PM