PDA

View Full Version : fibreglass repair and boat cleanup order

mik01
12-09-2013, 01:07 PM
hopefully this hasn't been covered before (I did search!).

my 25 yr old fibreglass boat looks like swiss cheese with all the holes drilled over time which have simply been filled (badly) with something or screws put in and silicone - all not by me I might add.

I want to get it all patched up internally, as well as the keel which has about 7cm of glass scraped off and various other scratches etc

i'm going to drop the boat off the trailer and tidy up the trailer also, plus new windscreen, gunwale rubber, carpet, vinyl trimming, seats and a rejuvenation of the overall paintwork etc etc - a general tidy up.

my question is - in what order should I do this?

I want to get the glass repaired by a professional, so I expect to strip out all the fittings (inc windscreen/bimini etc) and have it seen to - would I be best to:
1 - strip out screen/carpets/seats/fittings (ie new s/s cleats and handrails)
2 - have the boat detailed in and out
3 - get the glass repairs, ie - so that colour matching of repairs is like for like?
4 - re-fit

I don't want to re-paint, but I need someone to get stuck in to it and try to bring the paintwork and vinyl etc back to life (if possible).

in what order would you approach this job?

ozynorts
12-09-2013, 01:15 PM
In my opinion.
1 - strip out screen/carpets/seats/fittings (ie new s/s cleats and handrails)
2 - get the glass repairs
3 - re-fit
4 - have the boat detailed in and out

Perhaps send a PM to Blackened and he may be able to advise on the detailing and how best to colour match.

Gon Fishun
12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
How's the floor, stringers and transom? OK ? :) or major refurb ? :-?

fish50
12-09-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm doing a similar thing to my boat right now. I stripped it, gave it to Adam Milner, now at Ark Marine for new fuel tank, then new windscreen, then electrical and last of all upholsterer - you dont want tradies climbing all over new trimming so I agree with ozynorts. Adam was good to talk to, very helpful with his recommendations.

FisHard
12-09-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm doing a similar thing to my boat right now. I stripped it, gave it to Adam Milner, now at Ark Marine for new fuel tank, then new windscreen, then electrical and last of all upholsterer - you dont want tradies climbing all over new trimming so I agree with ozynorts. Adam was good to talk to, very helpful with his recommendations.

Adams a top bloke, I was at his yard today.

mik01
12-09-2013, 06:35 PM
How's the floor, stringers and transom? OK ? :) or major refurb ? :-?

Actually it's perfect in that sense. Just cosmetic I spose. Been bugging me for a while to tidy her up. Trailer is a bit dodgy though

Blackened
13-09-2013, 04:52 PM
G´day,

Feel free to give me a bell, and if need be, I can drop in and have a good look at what shape she´s in.

What make and model?

Dave