PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs on side console

brock13
11-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Hey

am looking at buying a new 5.2 side console (115hp). Am thinking of adding trim tabs mainly to assist with weight distribution and fuel economy.

Q1) For side console owners. Do you have any weight distribution issues?

Q2) Has anyone ever heard of trim tabs on smaller boats or has anyone made this mod? What was the results?

Thanks

Brock

Rodman
11-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Mate my side consul rode with a lean to the right when on the plane with me at the wheel. Being a heavy guy some would say fat is the cause. My rode good when I had a crew member and this righted the boat.

Ken

brock13
11-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks Ken. I thought that was going to be the case. Would probly be doing a few solo sessions and im not shy of a small bloke. Wonder if trim tabs are the option.

Nslfishing
11-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Mate I was thinking of trim tabs on my 5.1mtr cuddy cause I was getting a lot of lean to port. I'm kinda glad I didn't cause the problem was easily solved with better weight distribution. My advice is to try this first and if your still leaning then think about trim tabs. Some say trim tabs create drag which lowers fuel economy which IMO sounds right.
Cheers Nic

brock13
11-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Nick. I see your point of view IMO i think the fuel that you would or might lose due to the drag caused, you would gain elsewhere by using the trim tabs. Eg. Gettin on the plane quicker, leveling out in rough seas ect.

bobbyb
11-09-2013, 03:57 PM
mate, why not buy a centre console and save all the trouble

that way you got full walk around for fishing....... I never understood why they build side consoles, all rite if you have a permanent fishing mate I guess.

Schulzy
11-09-2013, 06:23 PM
mate, why not buy a centre console and save all the trouble

that way you got full walk around for fishing....... I never understood why they build side consoles, all rite if you have a permanent fishing mate I guess.

I agree I find centre consoles a much better boat. Mate has a side console I can't stand it!

brock13
11-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Yea good call centre console would save the hassle i guess but am pretty keen on the build and the features of this side console.

Schulzy
11-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Have you fished a side console before?

mutineer
11-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I find my 4.2 side console awesome to fish from , I'm at the back , someone in middle and someone on cast deck comfortably casting past each other with no central console to fight with , I can knock into gear troll and steer doing the same ..more room for esky , rods can go along side without getting stepped on , crab pots I can stack munyarners 20 deep against side and can still run back and forward pulling pots ...and I reckon I can come up with a heap more , so throw up good points for him with cc , just for fun ..everyone has a different game plan

mutineer
11-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Oh and I'm over 100 kg , my tank is front left so i just put my esky on left also and that's me balanced. My seat also slides along rear seat for optimum balance usually only move a couple inches and be spot on when solo

brock13
11-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Have you fished a side console before?

yea ive fished from all styles of boats

last few trips have been on a surtees 6.7 gamefisher. fitted with trim tabs. Best feature of the boat by far.

brock13
11-09-2013, 10:15 PM
I find my 4.2 side console awesome to fish from , I'm at the back , someone in middle and someone on cast deck comfortably casting past each other with no central console to fight with , I can knock into gear troll and steer doing the same ..more room for esky , rods can go along side without getting stepped on , crab pots I can stack munyarners 20 deep against side and can still run back and forward pulling pots ...and I reckon I can come up with a heap more , so throw up good points for him with cc , just for fun ..everyone has a different game plan

behind a tiller steer i think a side console has most room. Thats whats leaning me towards a side console. Maybe ample weight distribution and a hydrofoil might be the safest option

spelchek
12-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I went SC for [what i think is] extra room over a CC. Very glad I went SC - much easier to fish out of with a mate. Move the passenger seat up the front and can unroll a swag. Makes overnighters with one of the kids easy and fun. Of course if you;re always fishing solo then maybe a CC is the way to go - bu I'd buy another SC over a CC anyway. Just a personal preference. I like being able to spread out comfortably when I'm out solo - and once the passenger chair comes out, there is masses of space.

If I was to buy another I would definitely add trim tabs. Of course moving stuff around to balance makes a huge difference, but I'd still put a set of TTs if I bought new again. I've even considered adding them recently but saving the $$'s for a cruiser at the moment.

brock13
12-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks spelchek. What size is your side console? I am definately leaning towards a side console over a centre console. I think the trim tabs will come in handy. Just gonna bite the bullet regardless of the price.

craigk1
13-09-2013, 07:12 PM
What brand of boat are you thinking of buying
Cheers Craig

scuttlebutt
13-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Hey

am looking at buying a new 5.2 side console (115hp). Am thinking of adding trim tabs mainly to assist with weight distribution and fuel economy.

Q1) For side console owners. Do you have any weight distribution issues?

Q2) Has anyone ever heard of trim tabs on smaller boats or has anyone made this mod? What was the results?

Thanks

Brock

My last boat was a 5.4m side console. I put trim tabs on it and it was a much better boat. They really will transform your boat for the better.

FisHard
13-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I reckon that, apart from lightening your wallet, you would never regret putting tabs on any boat. If you haven't used them before, you won't believe how they can improve a hulls performance.

spelchek
16-09-2013, 02:45 PM
brock13 - I have a 4.4m seajay.

brock13
18-09-2013, 04:34 PM
What brand of boat are you thinking of buying
Cheers Craig

520 renegade sc 115hp