PDA

View Full Version : Boat netting while travelling??????

grumpy santa
10-09-2013, 09:40 PM
A lot of talk recently regarding the need to cover your boat while travelling has caused a lot of confusion and angst. Nothing seems to have changed.

At the boat show, the boat dealers asked (in person) the Transport Minister to clarify the rule regarding the protective netting over loads, as to boats. He said that the rule does NOT apply to trailer boats. Now that makes things even more confusing. A mate went to pick up his net he had made at Emmet Ropes, and while there, another customer there ordering a net for the same purpose. He had been fined $250 plus $50 for each loose item.

Either the Minister doesn't know the rules, and the public servants know more, or they have been fining people illegally. Clear as mud.

bf90
10-09-2013, 09:49 PM
wtf? welcome to the aussie public service department!!!As you say santa ..... clear as mud!!

Mike Delisser
10-09-2013, 10:28 PM
A lot of talk recently regarding the need to cover your boat while travelling has caused a lot of confusion and angst. Nothing seems to have changed.

At the boat show, the boat dealers asked (in person) the Transport Minister to clarify the rule regarding the protective netting over loads, as to boats. He said that the rule does NOT apply to trailer boats. Now that makes things even more confusing. A mate went to pick up his net he had made at Emmet Ropes, and while there, another customer there ordering a net for the same purpose. He had been fined $250 plus $50 for each loose item.

Either the Minister doesn't know the rules, and the public servants know more, or they have been fining people illegally. Clear as mud.

The Minister isn't the one who pulls you over and writes you a ticket.

Horse
11-09-2013, 04:25 AM
Has anyone sought written confirmation of the current interpretation of the law

Shark Poker
11-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Here is a link from the Qld Gov't website.
This pages shows the title of the document at the top, just scroll down to see the part relating to boat trailers.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Loads-and-towing/Load-restraint.aspx

Not that it is in writing, but I asked an officer from the water police about this subject last Saturday and their reply agreed with the above.
However, if a pfd or other item flies out of your boat, like on the highway, you would be liable for some kind of fine.

I have been thinking about this subject a lot because I also have to tow customers boats quite often. And my plan is as follows:
1. Tie down or cover items in my Ute.
2. Tidy the interior of the boat so no loose items may roll around or blow out.
3. Print a copy of the above document and keep it in the glove box.

Hope that helps.
Pauly

SunnyCoastMark
11-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks for that Pauly.
Doesn't really clear it up though as no mention is made of what happens with gear inside the boat.

I guess the same rules apply as for a trailer or the back of a ute??

Then hope the cops or transport boys have an ounce of common sense when they pull you over???

Mark

Crunchy
11-09-2013, 07:33 AM
I just wonder if there IS an actual agenda to boost fine income. We are hearing a lot more stories about fines for very minor infringements some of them rather bizarre to say the least. Yesterday I saw a copper hiding in a bus stop pointing his radar through a gap in the side of the shelter. No car visible anywhere around, must have walked there. I watched for a few minutes and he seemed very disappointed when each car was travelling past within the limit, must have been struggling with his monthly quota.

grumpy santa
11-09-2013, 08:59 AM
I just wonder if there IS an actual agenda to boost fine income. We are hearing a lot more stories about fines for very minor infringements some of them rather bizarre to say the least. Yesterday I saw a copper hiding in a bus stop pointing his radar through a gap in the side of the shelter. No car visible anywhere around, must have walked there. I watched for a few minutes and he seemed very disappointed when each car was travelling past within the limit, must have been struggling with his monthly quota.

This new style speed camera is onthe highway leading into Cairns. I'm told It's one of many that will be installed overthe next 12 months throughout Qld.

Some of the more cynical amongst us might conclude that this is purely a money making exercise but I really do believe there is also a safety component to it. I for one have seen buckets come out of boats on the highway and on one occasion a milk crate flew out and hit my car. Luckily the crate was old and rotten and exploded into a million pieces when it hit. A less experienced driver could quite easily panic and have an accident. It certainly scared the bejesus out of me. That being said, 'Can Do' Campbell's recent announcement of the likely involvement of private enterprise in the operation of radar vans etc. leaves open the incentive of 'the more fines you make, the more money you make'.

Zero tolerance for safety reasons is one thing but fine gouging is quite another. Common sense should prevail but I have my doubts.

It's going to be a real pain drilling holes in my boat to mount tie down points for a net and/or spending an extra 10 minutes re-setting up my boat at the ramp both launching and retrieving because all the boat stuff has to be in my car while travelling. Longer queues at the ramps will be the norm.

Lancair
11-09-2013, 12:44 PM
The way I read it, anything that could blow out or fall out under normal driving or emergency braking/manouvers must be restrained. Fishing rods lying on the floor of a boat can hardly blow out or fall out. Lifejackets, buckets, towels, anything that could fly out, even if it doesn't in your boat at say 60-70km/h, it might blow out at 100km/h. I don't see the need for a net over the boat if everything is stowed properly. I have two rear trailer to boat tie-downs, the winch strap, safety chain and a giant turnbuckle holding the bow down, the boats not moving.

FordGT
11-09-2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Loads-and-towing/Load-restraint.aspx

Looks like they took the page down.

Spoon1337
11-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I've been running a net over my boat. Have had quite a few looks at the ramps when putting it on. I'd rather spend the time and money on a net to save myself from a copper having a bad day. I don't see how it would not be a law when you have to net your trailers and trays on utes, it just seems like common sense that this continues to boats as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Crunchy
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Aren't the nets a load of bollocks anyway? I see them with mesh size that would allow watermelon through so how's that going to stop items coming out? Can't see how a few piss weak hooks every 2 meters apart is going to restrain much over a load either.

solemandownunder
12-09-2013, 03:44 AM
I've been running a net over my boat. Have had quite a few looks at the ramps when putting it on. I'd rather spend the time and money on a net to save myself from a copper having a bad day. I don't see how it would not be a law when you have to net your trailers and trays on utes, it just seems like common sense that this continues to boats as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Have been doing the same Spoon....got a few looks & once at Raby bay ramp, fisheries asked me if I had ever been pulled over by the police...said "nup, and dont INTEND to be pulled over either...that is why I have the net"...he just laughed, but I guess he was after any info as they dont have a clue either.

Takes me extra 5-10 mins, but I have been passed & seen by many police cars out here in the Redlands, and not even looked like being pulled over...they have had a good look but ;);D

Anyhough I dont believe it is necessary, I also use the red flag on the prop while travelling.

As far as the nets go....those big stretchy things are being done anyway, because from what we have all seen....whatever a policeperson can pull out by hand=$100 fine per item.

So, I bought 3 smaller nets 6' x 4' with 2"x2" mesh from Bunnings, and sewed the 3 together for the length of my boat...I start OVER the windscreen hooking onto the bow rails...then back to the motor. Cost $60 for the 3, but I can cover everything....I did take the elastics out and used the hooks direct onto the mesh...makes it tighter that way.

Cheers, Ray.

WalrusLike
12-09-2013, 06:04 AM
You two blokes with nets on boat.... How big is your boat?

I am guessing less than 5 metres?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Dignity
12-09-2013, 06:29 AM
Looks like they took the page down.

still there, possible problem with your browser.

I think there is some common sense around securing loads but as mentioned the $10 - $100 nets are pretty useless at preventing anything flying out under severe breaking conditions (it will never happen to me syndrome still exists), I believe the door was opened due to a fatality in Nth Qld when an icebox came out of boat on the highway. It is not that the nets are reasonably flimsy or have huge mesh sizes as mentioned by Crunchy but the tie-down of the net is probably the weakest point in most cases. "MINE" rated nets start at about $300 but still less than useful if not tied down properly.

Dignity
12-09-2013, 06:32 AM
You two blokes with nets on boat.... How big is your boat?

I am guessing less than 5 metres?

WalrusLike, I was going to use the Storm Cover which doesn't take long for the 6m boat but it no longer fits due to changes to the canopy so back to the drawing board on that one, the tinnie is relatively easy but still working on a permanent/suitable tie down solution that is secure.

Dignity
12-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks for that Pauly.
Doesn't really clear it up though as no mention is made of what happens with gear inside the boat.

I guess the same rules apply as for a trailer or the back of a ute??

Then hope the cops or transport boys have an ounce of common sense when they pull you over???

Mark
as usual when FAQ's are posted they don't cover all areas of concern, in this case "Transporting boats" refers to the actual boat and not the contents so the legislation requiring the load to be secured still applies i.e. rods, iceboxes, tackle etc

Triple
12-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Contents -
"be secured so it won’t move or fall from your vehicle while driving—including driving consisting of emergency braking or turning suddenly"

That there covers 99% boats as I've never seen tackleboxes and eskies fall out of the inside of a boat with high sides. Otherwise every convertible or car with a window down now needs a net cover.

ericcs
12-09-2013, 07:51 AM
i poste d this in the boating section last week, was in the local paper
i expect it would relate to boats as well

http://i39.tinypic.com/23i9ume.jpg

WalrusLike
12-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Well said Tripple.

Can we all just shut up about this now, before some demented bureaucrat hears all the fuss and decides its a good idea to put nets on boats. :)

PixieAU
12-09-2013, 11:40 AM
So, I bought 3 smaller nets 6' x 4' with 2"x2" mesh from Bunnings, and sewed the 3 together for the length of my boat...I start OVER the windscreen hooking onto the bow rails...then back to the motor. Cost $60 for the 3, but I can cover everything....I did take the elastics out and used the hooks direct onto the mesh...makes it tighter that way.

Cheers, Ray.

same here

mine is 5.6m boat but I can cover the loose items at the back of the boat with my Bunnings net

SunnyCoastMark
12-09-2013, 06:48 PM
I have a full height windscreen with a hard top that goes back to almost the outboard well. I wouldn't think anything except a plastic bag could blow out - as the wind travels around and over the boat. Emergency braking - I don't think anything is going to go through the ally hard top.
Like I said - I hope the authorities can use common sense and not just apply the same rules for my boat that they would to a 12 ' open tinnie.

Mark

Dignity
13-09-2013, 12:22 PM
i poste d this in the boating section last week, was in the local paper
i expect it would relate to boats as well

http://i39.tinypic.com/23i9ume.jpg
What they are saying is correct, no legislation has changed, what has changed is the policing of it

PixieAU
13-09-2013, 12:54 PM
'adequately secure' has to be a key phrase in this debate

wayno60
13-09-2013, 01:23 PM
People,
please read Horse'e post in boating

Last Post:

Boat towing load restraints (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?194734-Boat-towing-load-restraints&goto=newpost)