PDA

View Full Version : Offshore jet ski Pfd

shy guys
09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Don't know if its been covered befor but what are the laws for Pfd offshore can you were a inflatable 100 or 150 or is a 50 what would be the answer for open waters

aussiebasser
10-09-2013, 11:34 AM
You cannot use an inflatable on a Jetski.

To comply with Australian Standard 4758 it must be marked 'Level 50'.
To comply with Australian Standard 1499-1996 it must be marked with 'PFD type 2'.
Keeps you afloat but does not have a collar to keep the head above water.
Can be used by skiers or people being towed in smooth or partially smooth waters.
Can be used by PWC riders in smooth and partially smooth waters or beyond those waters.

ozynorts
10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Very interesting. I have to have level 100 for my boat to head out fishing but I can wear a level 50 on a ski to go fishing the same spot.
Text below is from http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/life-jackets.aspx

For use in smooth, partially smooth and open waters

To comply with Australian Standard 4758 it must be marked 'Level 100', 'Level 150' or 'Level 275'.
To comply with Australian Standard 1512–1996 it must be marked 'PFD type 1'.
Not to be used by personal watercraft (PWC) riders, skiers or people being towed.

For use in smooth and partially smooth waters

To comply with Australian Standard 4758 it must be marked 'Level 50'.
To comply with Australian Standard 1499-1996 it must be marked with 'PFD type 2'.
Keeps you afloat but does not have a collar to keep the head above water.
Can be used by skiers or people being towed in smooth or partially smooth waters.
Can be used by PWC riders in smooth and partially smooth waters or beyond those waters.

Mr__Bean
10-09-2013, 09:32 PM
The reason is that on a jetski the part of the jacket that ensures that you float face up presents a risk to your neck if you hit the water at speed.

In a boat they require that you have face up floating surety, on a jetski they ensure that the jacket will float your weight and that it is in a detectable color (yellow or red).

Hope that makes sense.

Darren