PDA

View Full Version : windscreen - tint or clear?

mik01
09-09-2013, 04:11 PM
guys - not sure if this has been asked before...

I've finally decided to do some tidying up of the boat and trailer.
I need a new windscreen as the tint perspex is crazed and frame is falling apart.

would you replace it with a tinted or clear? reason I ask, is that tint is excellent during daylight, but wouldn't it reduce visibility at night?

I've always assumed tint is the way to go - what do you think?

Mick

Moonlighter
09-09-2013, 04:22 PM
I agree with your thoughts my last boat had the perspex with standard tint, and it was pretty well impossible to see much thru at night time.

Current boat is clear or very lightly tinted toughened glass, not perspex. Much better at night, and i wear polaroid sunnies, so no change daytime.

Cheers

ML

Giffo65
09-09-2013, 04:27 PM
I just put a new windscreen in my boat,went for clear or it looks slightly greenish,same as car windscreen.I used Bluewater screens at Yatala,they replaced frame and screen on my Cruisecraft Explorer,happy with the finished job.

wayno60
09-09-2013, 06:35 PM
if I had a choice id go clear for the night time effect...during the day wear sunnies.

peterbo3
09-09-2013, 06:38 PM
This ^^^^.

hookinin
09-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Another vote for clear but I do more night time travel than day and as others have said, sunnies for the day.

gaven

wave dancer
09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
When I replaced mine it went tinted but I mainly stand up and look out the smiley face in my clears day or night. Very rarely would I sit down and look through the screen. Even when I do sit down I can see over the top of the screen through the clears. As mentioned above a very light tint may suit both day and night. Depends on the type of boat, size of your screen and your main driving position.

Cheers Mick

Horse
09-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Go clear. Tinted looks better but even a salt haze makes it hard to see through during the day and you are blind at night

mik01
09-09-2013, 08:27 PM
yep, I figured during the day I would always wear sunnies, so the tint isn't necessarily much benefit.
I have a high screen, and being short arse, I can just see over the top but its not comfortable - so when motoring around at night or in low light it becomes painfully annoying. plus I catch a face full of spray which is less nice.

cheers all - seems that its fairly common to have clear - I've never really noticed other boats screens to be honest.

mik01
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
I just put a new windscreen in my boat,went for clear or it looks slightly greenish,same as car windscreen.I used Bluewater screens at Yatala,they replaced frame and screen on my Cruisecraft Explorer,happy with the finished job.

Giffo - trying to send you a pm mate. your mailbox is full!