PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast reefs, in closer.

Spoon1337
09-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Hey guys,

I have had my boat for a while now and just installed a new Sounder/Plotter that I am too keen to try out. Unfortunately I do not have an epirb installed, boat is a 14ft tinny with a 30hp mercury which has no trouble pushing the boat.

Is there any reef that is closer inshore thats worth a try? Without going further then my limits, weather permitting. I have never traveled the seaway before but I know its definitely busy and too look of for the current, surfers, other boaties etc.

Thanks!

Jackinthebox
09-09-2013, 11:02 PM
18 fathoms reef mate, only a couple of k's straight out from the seaway. Google the marks :)

Scalem
10-09-2013, 07:15 AM
1st fish off the seaway brought results into the boat without needing marks from anybody, just head se from the bar and you are into structure within 15 mins run. I would make the investment of an epirb regardless. It's a little like green zones, you may or may not be in breach of the law in relation to your current position to within a few meters, but get a water police inspection in a bad mood and they might write you up because you are offshore in a 14 ft tinny. Sorry, don't mean to burst your bubble, try invest in one.

I see a lot of similar craft out there on good days. Makes me envious that it can be done so easily at a fraction of the cost I do.

Scalem

Allycan
10-09-2013, 07:19 AM
When the weather is good you can't miss the boats in front of the pumping jetty and about 1 km offshore they are there jigging for livies have a sound around and get live yakkas and slimie mackerel then get over the best school of bait while anchored and drop them down and float 1 out on the surface to you can get cobia and mackerel and tailor on these grounds if you want to travel further there is the mermaid reef which is about 7 km further south and about 2km offshore again it is a pelagic reef and with in the limit of having an epirb

I have had my boat for a while now and just installed a new Sounder/Plotter that I am too keen to try out. Unfortunately I do not have an epirb installed, boat is a 14ft tinny with a 30hp mercury which has no trouble pushing the boat.

Is there any reef that is closer inshore thats worth a try? Without going further then my limits, weather permitting. I have never traveled the seaway before but I know its definitely busy and too look of for the current, surfers, other boaties etc.

Thanks![/QUOTE]