PDA

View Full Version : kids fishing/yabby/picnic spot?

Si
09-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Hey, Just thought i would ask. I want to take the family out in the tinny this weekend and was trying to work out where would be a great spot. I want to have yabby banks available so i can pump some nippers with the kids, a nice sandy area above mid tide to pitch a sun shade tent and some nice clean water. And of course a nearby channel to cast the nippers into. I was thinking somewhere around green and gold banks, Tiger mullet channel, Jumpinpin. Anyone have great spot they could share i would be very appreciative.

Cheers

thelump
09-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Peel Island. Was there last weekend, pumped yabbies' at low tide straight in front of horseshoe bay and caught bream, whiting, tarwhine on the high tide in the arvo. Maybe a bit much traffic during the day but there was a young bloke just down from us that caught a couple of nice bream around 4 in the arvo. Alternative is you can have your picnic there then duck over to goat island with the nippers and wrangle a bream or 2.

morphias
09-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Can't go past Currimundi Lakes on the Sunshine Coast!

All land based, massive low tide sand flats with yabbies, plenty of area to catch whiting, etc. Very sheltered and has picnic and BBQ facilities.

That is where I take my 6 year old.

Ben.

Si
10-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks fellas. Both good spots, I will check them out.

Brightsbane
10-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Try Coochie. Pick a side that's away from the wind. Did the southern beach on Saturday with 3 kids under 6. Ticks all the boxes you've mentioned. You have to wait until the tide's about mid way out to access the yabbies. Heaps of nice shells for the kids to collect. About 200m off the beach and you're into snaps.

Shawn 66
11-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Mate ,
You might want to think about having a look at Toorbul . Went u there last Saturday for the first time in about 10 years . Still a top spot .
Shawn