PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned?

Still_Dreamin
05-09-2013, 07:15 PM
I have been home with the man flu the last couple of days and decided to head to the shed to fiddle around with the boat (Had to get out of the house:-?) Anyway noticed what I thought was a rust stain below the anchor well drain. On closer inspection there is a vertical crack in the gel coat below the stainless cover. The crack extends under the cover to the hole that was cut in the glass. So what does everyone think? The boat is only 16 months old and was bought new. Thanks in advance

Shark Poker
05-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Just as an alternative, is there any rust stain coming from the chain on the inside of the anchor storage?
Also is there any sign of anchor or chain damaging the inside wall?
Pauly

Still_Dreamin
05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Good thought Pauly, I will check it out tomorrow.

WalrusLike
05-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Bummer mate... sorry to see a blemish on your lovely boat.

I suspect the crack formed when the fitting was installed but was invisible until the anchor hardware rusted a tad and the rusty water runs down the crack.

There's a couple of magicians on here that can make blemishes disappear. Maybe PM one of them?

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Muddy Toes
05-09-2013, 08:27 PM
I'd be more concerned with the motor

cobiaman
05-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I'd be more concerned with the motor

Beat me to it by 1 minute....

Still_Dreamin
05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
And we wonder why threads get off topic when you two clowns are always on here.;D

Muddy Toes
05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Beat me to it by 1 minute....

Lets not bicker amongst ourselves.............

The real joke here is Brendan, lets not get side tracked.

cobiaman
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
The real joke here is Brendan, lets not get side tracked.

Lets not forget brendan waking up the entire population of south straddy after starting his motor that morning....

Still_Dreamin
05-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Very good lads. Now back on topic

Muddy Toes
05-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Did the screw that holds the cover on cause the flowcoat to crack?

Does the crack run into the screw hole?

Still_Dreamin
05-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I think I need to remove the cover to be sure. It was sold with a ten year warranty but as they have been bought out by haines not sure where I stand. Thinking it is probably best if I leave it be and give AMC a call after the boat show to see what they say. Reluctant to pull things apart in case I get blame so that warranty can be voided.

Muddy Toes
05-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Probably a good call seeing as though AMC built it.

As for the rust mate.............if your ground tackle has any rust on it i.e shackles, chain, bla bla bla then that should solve the rust problem. If not the it kind of leads to the screws used.

bigjimg
05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Remove all your chain,rode etc from the locker and you can bet there will be some fitting, gal thimble, screw that is happily rusting and causing the stain. As for the stress hairline crack in the gelcoat, probably too small a pilot hole for the gauge screw used and has been there from the fitment of that cowl. Just has now become visible due to the staining running out of the locker. No real way to remove it except dig out the crack and fill with flowcoat patch and polish it up. Done a couple on the hull of my boat and they are completely invisible. Jim

Chang Jiang
06-09-2013, 09:24 AM
The advice the lads have given less the motors is good, and cant see you can do much more than to check ground tackle first and find what is rusting, unsure of warranty situation but my only real area that needs looking at is the whole that penetrates the anchor well, is the core (foam) fully sealed, in the pictures it does not appear to be and exposed core is a worry to getting moisture into core over time this can cause expansion or swelling .

terry

Beatsworkin2
06-09-2013, 01:44 PM
No foam core core matt down the side the rust stain is from well or a lower grade stainless the problem has been there since day one from when the screw was put in without countersinking hole before screwing no big thing to fix just die grind out and fill with gel coat or contact amc and ask for it to be fixed this is only a 10 minute job

Still_Dreamin
06-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Rust is not from anchor well. Pulled all the gear out of the anchor well and no signs of rust. I guess it is from the screw. Should it be sealed up there as it isn't just the raw cut, at least that is how it looks to my untrained eye.

Haji-Baba
06-09-2013, 03:39 PM
My bet is that you have a low grade stainless screw holding the fitting in place and it will continue to rust forever. Run a magnet over all your stainless fittings and find out what you really have got.

The crack probably was formed by the expansion of the screw in the glass.

I have S.S. plates and fittings on my tinnie rack above the Colorado and they have stained the roof.

Mine looks like the real thing but it is crap. Your best bet is a magnet. Give it a go.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Haji-Baba
06-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Just as an alternative, is there any rust stain coming from the chain on the inside of the anchor storage?
Also is there any sign of anchor or chain damaging the inside wall?
Pauly

Hey Fat Buoy, I just read your finishing comment to my wife re: her shoes and fishing rods,
and her reply quote: I would have no "B" rods.

Haji-Baba

Chang Jiang
07-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Yes mate all cut out should be sealled even if it is core mat?? and it is unuasual for rust to go up hill, if it is from screw below crack