PDA

View Full Version : Pros smash the GTs off Fraser

bugman
05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Spoke to mate of mine in Murwillumbah yesterday who was having a beer at the Orchid Beach pub last week when some pro netters from up the Cape turned up.
Four vehicles weighted down to chasis on axles. He went over to have a look and the pro boys were only too willing to show of their catch of massive GTs and Golden Trevally.
He was told SIX tonnes worth.
He's got photos of himself holding 30kg GT's.
Completely legal and well within their rights but seems such a waste of resource to me ... considering how much I spent to catch and release just a couple of these fish.
Brett

manta man
05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Well at least the Cats will have a good feed... mmm or maybe somebody else (Might be called a Racist). You know things like this, leave a real "Sour Taste In Ones Mouth. You know the funny thing is, by what you have written the Pro"s sound quite proud. As an Amateur we are encouraged to Catch and Release but for the Pro"s "The Motto is Catch and Destroy". It"s about time, somebody in Govt made the Hard Decisions... but hey "Their all like Spineless Jellyfish". Cheers Manta Man

Macks forever
05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Hi Bugman.

I am guessing you mean having a beer at the servo? The old pub is long gone?

MEG-A-BITE
05-09-2013, 05:59 PM
What the hell are the GTs used for? they not good eating.....

Apollo
05-09-2013, 06:08 PM
What the hell are the GTs used for? they not good eating.....

meowwwwwwwwwww

Boat Hog
05-09-2013, 06:18 PM
It's about bloody time that certain species where declared as recreational only or recreational catch and release only. Species like GT's, Golden's and Permit come too mind.

Its typical isn't it? Bloody greens are too busy trying to lock out Rec Fishos to see the economic value of species like GT's for recreational fishing and act to prevent their commercial slaughter.

Apollo
05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
You on Murf's deathanol Jim?

Giffo65
05-09-2013, 06:32 PM
I doubt it Apollo, the spelling is to good !

FisHard
05-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Very sad to hear. All that wasted resource for such a little return. As Bugman said, you invest a lot of cash to just see a few Gts, let alone catch them. As cat food, they would have returned just a couple of dollars a kg. When will we learn this planet is not infinite and must be managed properly??

cobiaman
05-09-2013, 06:41 PM
You on Murf's deathanol Jim?

It does sound that way doesnt it...

seatime
05-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Why this practice (beach netting) is still viewed as 'sustainable fishing' by Fisheries Qld (FQ) defies comprehension... would add tunnel netting and beam trawling in sheltered waters as equally destructive and unsustainable.
For a long time FQ have allowed themselves to be bullied by pro-fishing lobby groups.
Objectively speaking, FQ probably haven't had the legislative means to control wild harvesting but surely we have now reached that crossroad.
Charter operators are only a notch below the rape & pillagers and would like to see their n ops restricted more too.

seatime
05-09-2013, 07:10 PM
To reiterate, charter & commercial fishermen are well aware that their industry is in serious decline here and worldwide - similar to old growth timber cutters & wood chippers.
They know full well that there is no future for them but they will continue their self indulgence on a premise such as "we're a 3rd generation fishing family", "how else am I to feed my family, I've been fishing all my life" - well dudes, it's time to move-on you're rhetoric has been exposed for the crap it is.

Horse
05-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Very sad to hear about it. I think its time to put in a "sunset" clause on all inshore fishery commercial licences. When an operator wants to get out of the game the Gov should have first option on buying it back at a fair price.

Stik-ugly
05-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey Giffo is your avatar a photo of you doing fire extinguisher demos?

FisHard
05-09-2013, 08:27 PM
To reiterate, charter & commercial fishermen are well aware that their industry is in serious decline here and worldwide - similar to old growth timber cutters & wood chippers.
They know full well that there is no future for them but they will continue their self indulgence on a premise such as "we're a 3rd generation fishing family", "how else am I to feed my family, I've been fishing all my life" - well dudes, it's time to move-on you're rhetoric has been exposed for the crap it is.

You've made the mistake of bundling all operators into the same boat here. There are a substantial number of charter operators that practise and promote sustainable fishing. You may have only run into the bad eggs, but there are plenty of good guys out there looking after their environment.

bugman
05-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Looked like a pub when I was there last year - but yes the servo

Mark Robinson MP
05-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Can I suggest that someone take this matter up with FQ minister, John McVeigh. While I can raise it when I see him next, it is better if it comes from you guys. I am familiar with both sides of the argument. And as a rec fisher I am frustrated also with the current situation. The govts $9 million net licence buyback scheme was put in place to try to reduce the impacts of net fishing. I am not saying it is perfect or the only way to sort it out, but we are trying to actively do something.

Lucky_Phill
05-09-2013, 10:54 PM
I thought it was still called the Orchid Beach Tavern ??

My thoughts are that can one imagine how many tourism dollars per fish those GT's would bring in... year after year ( C & R ), compared to a one off co-op delivery.

LP

ShaneC
05-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Wheres the photos your mate speaks of??

bugman
06-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Wheres the photos your mate speaks of??

I thought that point might come up Shane ... I'll get hold of them

I just want to emphasis that what these guys apparently did was completely legal and my mates didn't really have a problem with it and nor do I really. They were fishing with the correct license which allows them to make catches like this.

I guess the bigger discussion is the value of the resource.

Brett

GM-Bluewater
06-09-2013, 08:07 AM
With regards to the pub, it is the 'Sand Bar' at the shops at Orchid.

I wouldn't be surprised if amongst the GT and Golderns were a heap of Snub Nosed Dart, or 'Permit'. These fish school up and inhabit the sandy cape, they have been smashed by the netters in the past which is a real shame as they are an amazing sports fish to catch. I really hate seeing those 'people' up there, its such an amazing place to fish from north Ngkala around to Rooney's. If you know what you are looking for you can site cast basically any surf species on a good day, not once these muppets have dragged the place clean though.

manta man
06-09-2013, 08:09 AM
It would be interesting to find out where these Fish actually end up. E.G who"s buying them, how much per kg, and what happens after they"ve been purchased.

MacDougall
06-09-2013, 08:39 AM
I think someone needs to educate the Greens. The members that are there are unlikely to have any investment in rec fishing due to largely being Gen Y bohemians so the problem is likely not so much an anti-rec agenda but just no education on the subject. When I see rec fishers dealing with the Greens it is almost always with a LOT of vitriol. They need to be shown the truth about it because if rec fishing can get the Greens on side, and realistically rec fishing's enemy should be the Green's biggest enemy, enemy of my enemy being my friend etc.

Just_chips
06-09-2013, 11:01 AM
It would be interesting to find out where these Fish actually end up. E.G who"s buying them, how much per kg, and what happens after they"ve been purchased.

Morgans at Scarborough had GT on ice on Fathers day when we went to have fish and chips down there. I was a bit surprised to see these fish at the time as I didn't really associate them as a commercially viable species, the ones on display would have been in the 5-6kg range (school sized fish) and were reasonably fresh.

Interestingly they also had snapper that were definitely under the QLD 35cm limit, probably closer to around 30cm. Would these be interstate fish bought in from where size limits are less? What are the regulations in regards to this? Shouldn't all their fish meet QLD size limits regardless of where it was caught?

Kev

hellfish
06-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Just the thought of one 30kg GT, let alone 6 Tons being caught and sold for cat food is downright sickening. Yes it may at the moment be within the confines of the law but what kind of person has the complete lack of conscience to perpetuate such reckless destruction in order to make some quick cash. I would very much like to see photos please.

lampuki
06-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Mark, this doesnt require a buy back!, it just needs legislation, which is what the public votes its representives to do.

Sportfish such as tailor, GT, Snub nose dart etc should not be beach netted. Netting in yellow zones, banned!

Part of me wants to see the photo, the other part doesnt.

mylestom
06-09-2013, 01:22 PM
The descriptions of the vehicles and the size of there loads, would possibly be illegal. Actual photos of the fish and vehicles might be helpful in any discussions with Govt.

piranya56
06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
What can be said about such actions.. that has not already been said dozens of times in the past. What a waste.

the gecko
06-09-2013, 01:55 PM
So a pro from Weipa can fish Fraser Island? Is a licence for the whole state, and any pro can fish anywhere is Qld? I thought they might be restricted to their local area.

Where would they sell this load from beach netting? Urangan Fisheries, or Brisbane markets? Please dont tell me they drive it to brisbane in unrefridgerated vans............

Horse
06-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Where would they sell this load from beach netting? Urangan Fisheries, or Brisbane markets? Please dont tell me they drive it to brisbane in unrefridgerated vans............

If I was in the business I would go where the profit was better. There are strict regulations on seafood leaving the coops and distributors. I'm not sure about delivery of the raw product though. If these pros are entitled to catch the fish and make a living from it then that's OK. If the resource can be better utilised then the loss of access to the fishery has to be reimbursed in some way.
I agree that a lot of the inshore species should be non commercial but we have to be fair and pay out the people currently fishing them commercially

Lutjanid2006
09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
May not need to waste a day at the cape next week then. . A shameful waste. Mark, why don't you get the Minister onto Ausfish?

Macks forever
10-09-2013, 08:51 AM
If I was in the business I would go where the profit was better. There are strict regulations on seafood leaving the coops and distributors. I'm not sure about delivery of the raw product though. If these pros are entitled to catch the fish and make a living from it then that's OK. If the resource can be better utilised then the loss of access to the fishery has to be reimbursed in some way.
I agree that a lot of the inshore species should be non commercial but we have to be fair and pay out the people currently fishing them commercially

I agree entirely that if someone is displaced from their income then they should be compensated. However Blind Freddy can see that regardless of whether it is legal, this is STILL WRONG!
Even Mark and the Minister can see that. Surely..... It ain't rocket science!

The issue is simply that
1. The Minister has to accept it and acknowledge it.
2. He has to amend the legislation to fix it.
3. And he has to compensate the commercial fishers displaced.
If this means and extra $10 or $20 "fishing permit" on top of the other charges to visit Fraser Island then I would happily pay it.

The permit of course should be for a set time and then stopped when it had simply recoup the amount needed to fairly compensate.... which then brings a "trust of government" issue into play.

Macks forever
10-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Anyone who thinks this is a serious issue and wonders why nothing is ever done should have a read of a brilliant piece of correspondence from David Cook that I posted on Ausfish here:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?194588-What-is-wrong-with-Fisheries-%28Mis%29-Management-in-Qld

Please read the article and you will start to see why we have endemic problems of this sort in Fisheries Management in Qld. This is not just about the goldies on Fraser, but also other stocks around the state including queenies, permit, grey mackerel, tailor, barra, threadies, spotted mackerel, and the list goes on. Most of our inshore netted species have been decimated.

Noelm
10-09-2013, 01:31 PM
still no pictures though?

Macks forever
27-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Yes NoelM. We do need photos. Surely that cant be too hard to get a couple emailed and posted?

manta man
27-09-2013, 03:49 PM
I too was keen on seeing the Photos mmm Bugman where AER"NT THOU

Mister
27-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Pictures? oh my how some can talk the talk but can't walk the walk :)