PDA

View Full Version : Did I fuel up last time?

WalrusLike
03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
It's taken ages but I've finally come up with a simple scheme to tell me if I filled the tank up after last trip.

I need a simple indicator that is available and accessible from the ground at stern while filling up to indicate that the tank is now full.

At each fill from now on I will put just one of the two bungs back in when I fill up.

The reason I need some kind of a telltale is because the gauge is useless on a long thin underfloor tank. The garmin plotter fuel flow meter needs the electrics on and me in the boat to do a "fill up tanks" which is not practical at the petrol station.

Being a doddering old idiot I can never remember if the tank is full. Now I will know for sure. When it gets pulled out of the water both bungs are removed and obviously some fuel at least has been used on that trip so a fill is needed.

Just thought I would share my idea in case other folks can't remember either.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Muddy Toes
03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
1. Why not fill it up after each trip

2. Why not fill it up before each trip

lucee81
04-09-2013, 05:22 AM
I'm not fully understanding? You will over fill the tanks then have fuel run through the bottom of the hull?

theoldlegend
04-09-2013, 06:04 AM
1. Why not fill it up after each trip

2. Why not fill it up before each trip

But if you filled it up after each trip, why would you need to fill it before each trip?

TOL

Spaniard_King
04-09-2013, 06:15 AM
But if you filled it up after each trip, why would you need to fill it before each trip?

TOL

Never new those Yammies drank it when there turned off :-X:-X:-X

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 06:16 AM
I generally aim to fill up after each trip. But sometimes don't because of time or family reasons... I want to wash down before light goes or family are tired and just want to get home etc.

So I can't count on it always has been filled.

Before the trip I hate filling because we are keen to get out and there will always be a hold up of some kind... eg the tanker is refilling the bowsers.

So the night before each trip I am always trying to remember if I need to take it for a fill up.

Re the overfilling.... nah the single bung just tells me I don't need to fill up. No overfilling involved.

The only problem I can foresee is if I see one bung in and stupidly think both are... but at least I will sink slowly..... :)

For yonks I have been trying to conceive of a infallible telltale for full tank... I reckon this is it

FisHard
04-09-2013, 06:33 AM
What happens when you forget how your system works?? Lol. :)

Still_Dreamin
04-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Wrap the fuel receipt around your boat keys with an elastic band?

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 06:54 AM
What happens when you forget how your system works?? Lol. :)

:) That _could_ happen....

But nah.... it's so simple even I can remember it.

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Wrap the fuel receipt around your boat keys with and elastic band?

Good idea for some maybe, but in my case the keys are still in the boat and hard to reach.... anything that relies on me doing something 'later' can (and probably will) go wrong.

I needed a long lasting, can't be misplaced or disturbed telltale.

marto78
04-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Just get up half an hr earlier and fill up with fresh fuel before every trip, at least this way you haven't got100l of fuel going off in the tank for months when the weathers no good.

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Three weeks now...... It's the longest it's ever been idle. Don't really worry about stale fuel because I am generally using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Horse
04-09-2013, 07:37 AM
I fill on the way to the ramp. Fresh fuel and I KNOW how much fuel in in the boat. I haven't made a mistake and some lowlife has not syphoned my tank

Muddyfeet
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't have a boat so am maybe not the best one to comment! But I do have half a brain so I think that qualifies me in this thread. Just fill it before you go. Then when you jump in the boat you reset your gauges and voila, done! If you forget between the petrol station and the ramp then you
1. Probably shouldn't be driving a car
1a. A boat!

Hope this helps, although judging by your memory loss I don't think it will. On the upside you will forget about this attack within minutes.
Rest easy old codger!

Still_Dreamin
04-09-2013, 10:30 AM
How do you remember to put oil in. Fill the fuel and oil at the same time. That way if you check your oil and it is full then so is your fuel.

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Ah.. Fellas... :) You just go ahead and pick on us mentally challenged all you like.

One day your gonna walk into a room and ask yourself... 'Now why did I walk in here?' and then you will be ready to start implementing these fail safe telltales in your life too. :)

The oil goes down so slowly that I check it during each trip or at home and always have enough trips left in it to not worry. Also I carry a couple of trips worth in bottles 'in case'.

I am surprised I am the only one who needs to ask himself if he refuelled.... I thought a lot of us would be in this boat. (As it were) :)

JEWIENEWIE
04-09-2013, 12:41 PM
I diconnect fuel line at motor before filling and reconnect after adding oil. That works for me and my tinny as i can never remember if i have put oil in the fuel, not if i have filled up. If fuel line not connected i havent added oil.......
JN

Muddy Toes
04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
How do you remember to put oil in. Fill the fuel and oil at the same time. That way if you check your oil and it is full then so is your fuel.

Doesn't the guy that services it do that?

Why do you have to keep putting oil in ?

theoldlegend
04-09-2013, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't take too much notice of Muddy Toes. I've heard he buys basa at Woolworths and tries to pass it off as red emperor fillets. But back to your problem.

You could put the port bung back in with the starboard bung out. That could be your secret code to fuel up. Then you could have another secret code if the starboard bung was put in and the port one was out. However, if a family member sees one of the bungs is out and puts it in, then it all falls apart.

But think of the fun you could have with it all!

TOL

thelump
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Doesn't the guy that services it do that?

Why do you have to keep putting oil in ?

Most people with failing memories are old and have 2 strokes Anthony! Remember them. They used to be around ages ago! Pretty sure the Neanderthal used them for their canoes when hunting Sarcoprion edax.

Dicko
04-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Just get up half an hr earlier and fill up with fresh fuel before every trip, at least this way you haven't got100l of fuel going off in the tank for months when the weathers no good.

Don't have a link to back it up, but have read widely that the opposite is better i.e. a tank full to the brim lasts longer than a half full one due the amount of air it's exposed to & also less condensation can occur

Muddy Toes
04-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm a child of the 80's mate................

Can't say I remember that technology.

thelump
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Child of the 80s eh. You'd know all about Monkey Magic then!

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 03:35 PM
....You could put the port bung back in with the starboard bung out. That could be your secret code to fuel up. .....,
But think of the fun you could have with it all!

TOL

Sorry TOL but your plan is complicated and so it is way above my pay grade.... :)

I will just have to stick to:

If one is in and others out,
then don't fuel up just take her out....

Seahorse
04-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Well the way i seeit, is, if you run out of fuel on the water then u prob should have remembered to refuel.

I must be missing somehere here and iam sure someone will tell me, but how can one forget if his boat needs fuel.

Shark Poker
04-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I think I see where he might be heading with this:

WalrusLike, Would you like your crew to refuel the boat for you?

solemandownunder
04-09-2013, 06:59 PM
I believe ole' M8 WalrusLike, should post his boating agenda on here for all to remind him to fuel up. 8-)

Problem solvered ;D

Cheers, Ray.

netmaker
04-09-2013, 07:18 PM
here's a solution. fill that pesky underfloor tank with expanding foam and buy a couple of 25 litre above floor tanks and all you have to do is lift them up before you go. if they aren't heavy you need to stop and fuel up. works for me;D

Giffo65
04-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Good idea about the bungs, now was one bung in for full, or to buy milk and bread on the way home from work ?

Still dreaming

Us 4 stroke owners, unlike etec owners, do not have the worry about adding oil that is so expensive, it must be made from Hummingbird tears:D .

Muddyfeet

If you only have half a brain, should'nt we be voting for you on Saturday, you have more than the contenders ? lol At least you got half more than the Scarecrow off the Wizard of Oz !

fishing111
04-09-2013, 08:33 PM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-images.staples-eu.com/App_Themes/au-AU/images/product/10000073_1_std.jpg

Get a box of green and red's and your right. Put it on your petrol cap and your set.

Darren Mc
04-09-2013, 09:46 PM
I like the last guy's idea (fishing111). I think that I the easiest and most fool proof.

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Get a box of green and red's and your right. Put it on your petrol cap and your set.

Thanks but my plan was to come up with something that could not be bumped off, have rain wash it away, or rely on stuff I didn't already have to hand while filling up. I think the bung idea will work fine.

Nettie that jerry can idea is good, but I think I will stick with the underfloor tank for convenience.

I'm probably a little bit OCD about certain things but I like to always have a system. My car keys are always in the same place, my thongs are stored in the same place when I get on board etc.

It works for me.... allows me to wander around in my customary daze and yet still function in a world that is getting ever more complicated.

Don't get me wrong.... Most things in my life are chaotic.... my shed looks like bomb hit it, and my finances are always screwed up, but the things that matter to me like keeping my tender tootsies off the hot bitumen are always nicely in place. :)

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 09:50 PM
I think I see where he might be heading with this:

WalrusLike, Would you like your crew to refuel the boat for you?

:) Yes please. Only problem is they are mostly my family so they would take the money from my wallet to fill it up.... :)

WalrusLike
04-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Since you all are having so much fun laughing at my foolishness I will throw another of my little telltale ideas out for your use or abuse. :)

The boat cover comes off and get piled up besides the house till the boat returns. I used to spend quite a while wrestling it back and forth to find which way it goes on.

Then I realised that a short bit of red cord tied to one of the port side rear loops lets me tell front from back, inside from outside, and left from right. Put a green one on the starboard rear also just for balance. :)

Works a treat.

solemandownunder
05-09-2013, 05:18 AM
I dont think anyone is laughing AT you old M8...jus havin a bit of a go is all...I mean, you DID leave urself wide-open on this one...:P:D

and btw, the bit about walking into a room and the forgetting why & walking back out to remember ?.....
I do it every day :-?

Cheers, Ray.

WalrusLike
05-09-2013, 06:04 AM
I am smiling as I write these posts... no problem at all.

To be honest I was tickled pink when I finally thought up the bung thing... and am happy to share it, or provide a target for you fellas to poke fun at. :)

There is nothing you guys could say about my doddering foolishness that is even half as effective as my wife with that bloody eyebrow raise thing she does. :)

Boat Hog
05-09-2013, 07:12 AM
I'm laughing at you.

Just thought you'd like to know!

Gon Fishun
05-09-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm laughing "with you" WL. Like A LOT of others on here, I know where your coming from.

thelump
05-09-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm laughing at you.

Just thought you'd like to know!

Same.......... :)

theoldlegend
05-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I am smiling as I write these posts... no problem at all.

To be honest I was tickled pink when I finally thought up the bung thing... and am happy to share it, or provide a target for you fellas to poke fun at. :)

There is nothing you guys could say about my doddering foolishness that is even half as effective as my wife with that bloody eyebrow raise thing she does. :)

OMG!! She's not like that woman in that ad for Suncorp life insurance is she? I HATE THAT AD!!

The poor bloke is reading the paper, and when she gets home, she gives him the raised eyebrow as if to say 'Well, did you ring them?"

TOL

Shark Poker
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
:) Yes please. Only problem is they are mostly my family so they would take the money from my wallet to fill it up.... :)

What if you kept the fuel receipts in your wallet?
That way you just look in your wallet and the refuel history is right there.

netmaker
05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
It's taken ages but I've finally come up with a simple scheme to tell me if I filled the tank up after last trip.

I need a simple indicator that is available and accessible from the ground at stern while filling up to indicate that the tank is now full.

At each fill from now on I will put just one of the two bungs back in when I fill up.

The reason I need some kind of a telltale is because the gauge is useless on a long thin underfloor tank. The garmin plotter fuel flow meter needs the electrics on and me in the boat to do a "fill up tanks" which is not practical at the petrol station.

Being a doddering old idiot I can never remember if the tank is full. Now I will know for sure. When it gets pulled out of the water both bungs are removed and obviously some fuel at least has been used on that trip so a fill is needed.

Just thought I would share my idea in case other folks can't remember either.

another thought: what if you get distracted and forget to do the bung thing?

thelump
05-09-2013, 10:05 AM
There should be a spot where we can vote for the most useless thread in Ausfish. This one would get my vote! But Gee Yamahas are good :)

mutineer
05-09-2013, 10:13 AM
If he had a Yamaha , no need to know if you refueled , you will get several trips to the swains on a tote ..

thelump
05-09-2013, 10:29 AM
If he had a Yamaha , no need to know if you refueled , you will get several trips to the swains on a tote ..

He has got a Yamaha. Just the wrong kind

JEWIENEWIE
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Your an ideas man Walrus Like. Whats that love. Sponge cake dull. Whats that white stuff on top. Icing sugar dull. Why would you go to another web site when this keeps turning up day after day....;D;D;D
JN

WalrusLike
05-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Ah... the serenity. :)

WalrusLike
05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Nettie no system is perfect... I can stuff anything up.

But this is simple and important so I expect I will manage it fine.

netmaker
05-09-2013, 11:50 AM
another flash of brilliance:idea:. a pink supre bag attached to the steering wheel when tank needs topping up;D.

WalrusLike
05-09-2013, 01:53 PM
My pink bag is not for frivolous uses like that.

It is a tried and true, easy to locate, safe store for my wallet and glasses and phone etc.

Just because you are the master of flashy Hawaiian garb doesn't mean you can solve every else's problems with a dash of colourful clobber.

Nah... I have my simple, (some would say, brilliant) solution, and no amount of flashy ideas from the likes of you Hawaiian hunks will sway me. :)

WalrusLike
05-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Just put $1.10 worth of fuel in it..

Thought it was full but couldn't be sure.... :)

Now that won't happen ever again.